Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
This seems like an unfair question

amother
Gold

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 12:58 pm
I work from home.

Over chol hamoed, I only do what is necessary but I don't put in the full hours. I have always received the full pay regardless, because my boss needs me to be available.

My boss is now asking me how many hours I worked over chol hamoed. After discussing this with him, it seems that he wants to set up an arrangement where I will no longer be paid for the full hours on chol hamoed. I get that- however, he also wants to know if we can apply such an arrangement retroactively to Pesach (even though he did not discuss this with me in advance).

Is this a fair request? On the one hand, I realize that he doesn't want to pay for hours that I did not actually work. On the other hand, we had no prior conversation or understanding about this. I made myself available and I got the job done with the understanding that I would receive full pay for the month of April.

Any thoughts?

STMommy

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 1:04 pm
That does not seem fair to me, to change the terms of your employment retroactively.
I am wondering if he asked a shaila because I would question if what he is doing is halachically permissible, as well.

das

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 1:09 pm
Seems very unfair.

LisaS

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 1:12 pm
Doesn't sound fair to apply a new policy without notifying you in advance.

Can you use a vacation day to cover the missing hours and call it even?

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 1:17 pm
"Going forward, I will bli neder keep track of the hours I actually worked, and get paid only for those.

"As far as the days worked in the past, I feel that it is fair and reasonable to stick with the original terms, and consider even a partial day of work on Chol Hamoed a full day, being that I made myself available the entire day to deal with anything that may come up."

amother
Gray

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 1:44 pm
Was your boss aware of your plans to only work as necessary over chol hamoed and did he agree to pay you in full for having you available when he needed even though you weren't putting in full hours? What is your general payment arrangement? Are you paid per hour/have set hours you're expected to be working or are you paid for completing the expected workload? Do you get paid more if you need to work more than your typical hours to complete a job?

amother
Gold

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 4:02 pm
Thanks for confirming my initial reaction.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 4:16 pm
amother wrote:
"Going forward, I will bli neder keep track of the hours I actually worked, and get paid only for those.

"As far as the days worked in the past, I feel that it is fair and reasonable to stick with the original terms, and consider even a partial day of work on Chol Hamoed a full day, being that I made myself available the entire day to deal with anything that may come up."

Going forward, are you going to make yourself available the whole day and only accept partial payment for when he needs you?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics