Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Red eye from seasonal allergies contagious??

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 7:08 pm
Took ds to Dr since he suffers terribly from allergies and wanted to get something prescribed for him. His eyes are very red and swollen. Dr says he shouldn't go to school tomorrow since the red eye is contagious. Does that make sense? Even if it's from allergy? I took him to a urgent care so want to make sure he knows what he's talking about. He's with this red eye every year the full allergy season. Don't think that makes sense. What do u say?

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 7:10 pm
The doctor might not be sure if the red eye is from an infection.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 7:12 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The doctor might not be sure if the red eye is from an infection.

He has it every year from rubbing his itchy eyes. Does that cause infection? I look same when I itch.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 7:13 pm
Red eyes due to allergies are NOT contagious. Though if your son is on meds and/or drops for allergies than his eyes should not be all red and swollen.....

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 7:16 pm
amother wrote:
Red eyes due to allergies are NOT contagious. Though if your son is on meds and/or drops for allergies than his eyes should not be all red and swollen.....

I find the more he itches them the more red and swollen they get. Till now took regular drops from pharmacy without prescription. Does that mean it's infected?

Rutabaga

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 7:19 pm
According to our pediatrician, itchy watery eyes from allergies are not contagious. However it can turn into pink eye, which is terribly contagious, if children rub their eyes a lot and end up causing an infection.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 7:20 pm
amother wrote:
He has it every year from rubbing his itchy eyes. Does that cause infection? I look same when I itch.

What did the doctor prescribe? That might clue you in.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 7:41 pm
You can have watery eyes but not pink eye from allergy. And yes pink eye is very very contagious. We don't let students come to school with it.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 7:55 pm
ra_mom wrote:
What did the doctor prescribe? That might clue you in.

I'm not sure what it's called. Pharmacy will deliver. But they just called that insurance doesn't cover it and works wonders for allergies. So doesn't sound like infection to me

STMommy

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 7:55 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
According to our pediatrician, itchy watery eyes from allergies are not contagious. However it can turn into pink eye, which is terribly contagious, if children rub their eyes a lot and end up causing an infection.

This just happened to my DD. Now on antibiotic drops.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 7:56 pm
STMommy wrote:
This just happened to my DD. Now on antibiotic drops.

How long did it take to clear?

seeker

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 9:24 pm
This is not medical advice but it's what I do: When DD first had allergy red eyes, doc prescribed something that is available OTC and I forgot what it was called but I have the generic, it's ketotifen fumarate. It works pretty fast. So if her eyes are pink and I'm not sure what it is, the first thing I do is put a couple of drops in and keep her hands really busy away from her eyes for a few minutes. If they turn white, then I assume there is no infection. If they stay pink and continue to stay pink for a few hours, then I'd take her to the doc to evaluate if it's infected.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 10:45 pm
I got the prescriptions. One is generic for zyrtec and eye drops generic for optivar. Aren't those for regular allergies?

Rutabaga

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 11:05 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not sure what it's called. Pharmacy will deliver. But they just called that insurance doesn't cover it and works wonders for allergies. So doesn't sound like infection to me

My kids use Pazeo drops. Not all insurance will pay for it but you can get a coupon so it will only cost $10. We got coupons from the doctor but you can probably find online if that's the prescription you need.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics