Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
"No" response to wedding invitation

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 2:25 pm
I feel silly that I don't know this, but when you respond that you are unable to attend a wedding, do you still send a gift? If yes, do you just put a check in with the response card? Do you need to send a separate card? TIA!

amother
Black

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 2:30 pm
When it comes to these things, there is no "normal."

If you can afford it and feel close enough to send a gift, by all means do. But if you are struggling or don't particularly feel close, there is absolutely no need to send anything.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 2:30 pm
Depends on who is getting married, IHO.

If it's a close-ish family / friend, then send check (in reply card or separate envelope, whichever is more convenient). If not so close then simply reply 'no', without check.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 2:32 pm
They should not be expecting a gift.

If you want to give a check, it is appropriate to enclose it in the return envelope instead of sending separately. If you want to give a gift, it is appropriate to send one.

Whether or not you were not planning on giving a gift, it is very mentchlich to respond promptly so they can plan earlier.

zaq

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 3:04 pm
There is no standard "correct" thing to do. Some people send a gift, some don't. Some enclose a check with the response card, some send a gift separately, esp. if the couple has registered at BBB, which all couples seem to do nowadays. It's all good.

What's not good is to send a card saying baldly "Mr. and Mrs. Laservision Ausgegeben will not attend," which makes a very unfriendly impression. At the least say something like "Mr. & Mrs. Ausgegeben regret that they cannot attend because they have no idea who you are, but wish the entire mishpacha warmest mazal tov and much nachas from the young couple."

SixOfWands

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 3:13 pm
We generally would send a gift, but smaller than we would if attending. But there’s no obligation. Exept, as Zaq said, to wish them a mazel tov.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 6:07 pm
I find it convenient to enclose a check with the response card even when I am attending because it means I don't have to buy a card and find someone to hand it to at the wedding. If I'm not attending I either send a gift that way or buy something from the registry and have it shipped. If it's not close family I spend less than if I had attended.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 9:31 pm
Thanks for all the advice!

amother
Beige

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 11:08 pm
I will send a check or order a small item off a registry if they have one. I may not be going but I still want to celebrate this milestone and for them to have something from me in their new home.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics