Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
What do to with complete meltdowns

amother
Puce

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 6:05 am
So its me again from this thread
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....38753
...I wish I could get a username just for my parenting questions so that I don't give myself away....

anyways.
I need advice on how to handle the meltdowns.
Yesterday I let my daughter watch our wedding video.
I kept on letting her know how much time she has left until bath time. (In 15 minutes it will be bath time... Ten more minutes to bath time...etc
But when it was finally the time she became hysterical, it sounded like somebody was hurting her!
She cried and cried and nothing would get through to her.
I tried to validate her emotion of disappointment.
I tried to remind her that this this could be an opportunity to practice listening to mommy even though we are dissapointed
I tried to explain that the video is not going anywhere and if she asks me nicely tomorrow I will let her.
I tried to reference a story that I tell her sometimes about a girl who listens to her mommy right away.
Nothing worked.
What on earth should I do???

End of story, I walked out of the bathroom becuase I felt myself loosing control and I just davened for stregth to deal with her.
After a while she bargained for a few more minutes of watching time after her bath and promised she wouldn't cry when I told her its time to go to sleep.
Eventually when it was bedtime, she was sobbing a bit. It really was hard for her. I put her to sleep and told how proud I was of her for keeping her word and listening to mommy and how proud hashem was of her, especially since it was so hard for her.
I made a big deal of it in the morning too when she woke up.

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 6:19 am
You did great!
You are showing backbone and consistency. She is fighting it hard. Good for you for preparing her and sticking to your guns. Not letting her manipulate you.

I personally would not let her after her bath.

But she gave you a good incentive. If she stops when you say to, she gets 10 minutes later. If she cries when you say times up, she doesn’t get next time.

It must be clear. Don’t back down.
Structure is very good for children and that is what you are providing.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 8:16 am
I'm not the OP. But I hear you! I have a son like that. Complete meltdowns. That's the approach I use as well. Structure, predictability, staying calm, leaving when it's too much, time out to cool off. Though I wish it would stop already! There's been improvement, but we're still at a few times a day though that's certainly better than every hour. Hard... I get it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers