Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What's better : single hung window or casement window 4 home

whats better for your house, single hung or casement window?
single hung window that you push up and down  
 77%  [ 21 ]
casement window that opens from one side out with crank  
 22%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 27

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, May 05 2018, 7:52 pm
What's better the single hung window that you push up and down or the casement window that you operate with the crank that's attached on one vertical side and opens in or out? for a house, what are the pros cons of each?

nycgal

Post Sat, May 05 2018, 8:04 pm
If you don’t have central ac casement window air conditioners are a lot more expensive.

tweety1

Post Sat, May 05 2018, 8:55 pm
My mother and mil have the one with the crank, I have up and down. I like the up and down so much more cuz the crank keeps on breaking off verses the up and down you don't have that issue. OTH, the crank one is much prettier.

mommyla

Post Sat, May 05 2018, 9:05 pm
Casement windows look better, but I like double-hung (not single-hung) for safety purposes - you can open the top window if you want some air without worrying about kids leaning on the screen. Unless you'll be putting in window guards, if you have little kids I'd skip the casements on upper floors.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 8:25 am
These are first floor windows and the AC is in the wall not the windows.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 8:56 am
amother wrote:
These are first floor windows and the AC is in the wall not the windows.

The casement windows are prettier, the double hung are more practical. Which feature is a priority for you?

reality mom

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 9:03 am
Aesthetically, if you dont plan on installing security/safety bars, (which you would need to have on the inside of your windows, as in-in your home) then casement windows are pretty, if you dont mind the screens on the inside. I did that on my first floor, and installed hung windows on my second so that I dont have to have the screen and gates inside the house. Its just prettier.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 6:30 pm
I have casement windows. One thing g I dont like about them is that it's very obvious when your windows are open. Might not bother you but I don't like it safetywise.
You may leave the house and forget to close the window. Anyone can notice from far that the window is open. As opposed to hung where you'll only notice if you actually try to see.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics