Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cost to Build in the Monsey Neighborhood

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 2:44 pm
Have you built recently? I was told to expect $100 - $150 per SF a few years back (plus the lot), but my understanding is that the cost to build has increased. Now that we're ready I'm wondering by how much it has increased.

I obviously understand that basic upgrades (never mind luxurious 'extras') will increase the total cost of building a custom home significantly, but I'm wondering what the basic cost would be.

Anyone with recent experience?

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 2:49 pm
I am building now. We are aiming for $100 sf. Contractor says it is doable.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 12:29 pm
Wow! Ground up construction?

Am I correct in assuming that this is in addition to the contractor's fee? And do you mind sharing who your contractor is?

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:13 pm
amother wrote:
I am building now. We are aiming for $100 sf. Contractor says it is doable.

Not for a Jewish home without cutting corners. Check with others he built for to see if actually done. Get the names from the building dept rather than the contractor himself.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:57 pm
Just a tip, always add on at least 20% to whatever price you're quoted, or whatever you expect to pay. That's a basic rule for any kind if construction.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 7:09 pm
I built in one of the new construction developments. cost me 525k for 3000 square foot house (Not including basement and extras)

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 7:38 pm
It’s actually very possible to build for $100 per square foot. We just did that.

Just remember it won’t include luxuries. And that u always need to add on the twenty percent.

Much luck!

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 7:44 pm
[quote="amother"]Wow! Ground up construction?

Am I correct in assuming that this is in addition to the contractor's fee? And do you mind sharing who your contractor is?[/quote

Monsey houses are build with wood not brick. Shouldn't be more then that.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 7:52 pm
[quote="amother"]
amother wrote:
Wow! Ground up construction?

Am I correct in assuming that this is in addition to the contractor's fee? And do you mind sharing who your contractor is?[/quote

If you add a contractor's fee, then it is not $100 a sq ft.

You need to careful about the quality lasting a few years.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 8:16 pm
Yes, ground up. He is one of the best contractors in Monsey; we know him well, both personally and professionally. He only takes the best companies to do the building. His homes are known as some of the best-built out there.

We are keeping it in the $100 sf range by not doing upgrades like granite kitchens. I am doing formica, etc. I did spend on lots of windows and radiant heat on the first floor, but the rest I am keeping simple.

The contractor is also tops because he lays out all the options on the table for us and tells us what the difference in price will run between basic and upgrades. He tells us where he believes we should spend and where to save, though he gives us the full scoop on everything.

wifenmother

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 11:44 am
amother wrote:
Yes, ground up. He is one of the best contractors in Monsey; we know him well, both personally and professionally. He only takes the best companies to do the building. His homes are known as some of the best-built out there.

We are keeping it in the $100 sf range by not doing upgrades like granite kitchens. I am doing formica, etc. I did spend on lots of windows and radiant heat on the first floor, but the rest I am keeping simple.

The contractor is also tops because he lays out all the options on the table for us and tells us what the difference in price will run between basic and upgrades. He tells us where he believes we should spend and where to save, though he gives us the full scoop on everything.

Sounds like he's tops in customer service? Would you share his name?

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 11:55 am
amother wrote:

Including architechtural costs/permits and all?

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 6:09 am
can you post the name please?!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics