Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Justify the cost of special camps

malky800

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 10:09 am
I just got my child in to one of these specialty day camps in Boro Park geared for aspergers.
I'm so happy that it will be so much of what he needs.

But my insurance is not covering it.

How can I possible validate for myself that the cost of $6000 for half the summer is worth the benefit? (I agree that it costs that much for the camp to run).
That's a tremendous amount of money.
Even when I pay out of pocket for my kid during the year, it's not that much money.

Has anyone done this?
If I can convince myself, that this camp will cover him that I won't need any therapy for the rest of the next 10 months, so maybe the cost will be justified.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 10:19 am
Is attending a regular camp with a shadow a possibility? It's very important for a child on the spectrum to go to camp. I know I would not be able to provide the kind of structure my ASD kid needs for the entire summer- the weeks between school and camp at the beginning and end of the summer are tough enough. So it's definitely important for him to be somewhere during the day. I will say, depending on the extent of his challenges, a special camp might not be necessary. As I mentioned, regular camp plus shadow works for my child and insurance covers the shadow.

malky800

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 10:20 am
It's camp champs. Specially geared with full day social therapy.
It would do wonders for my child

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 10:32 am
Do they have scholarships? The cost does sound unreasonable. I send my HFA child to a sleepaway program specifically for children with disabilities

ETA: didn't realize I submitted half a post. The sleepaway programs I've sent to are max $6000 a session. And that includes room, board, and 24-hr care. And in top of that they offer scholarships.

sarahmalka

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 10:43 am
Ugh! Are you sure insurance won't cover? I know Quest camps find that insurance often covers a portion that can be billed as group therapy. But it's reimbursed to the parents from insurance later, so you still have to pay up front. Mb your pediatrician would write a letter of medical necessity. I have to say 6k does seem like a crazy lot of $

sarahmalka

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 10:45 am
Also does that camp provide any evidence (follow up research on their campers) that the benefits of the camp experience last awhile so that your hope that your child wouldn't need therapy later in the year is justified?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 11:05 am
Doesn't government subsidize for those who are disabled and on medicaid like special needs camps? Why do they ask parents to chip in and 6000 for half a summer is a fortune.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 12:42 pm
amother wrote:
Doesn't government subsidize for those who are disabled and on medicaid like special needs camps? Why do they ask parents to chip in and 6000 for half a summer is a fortune.

Not everyone who had a disabled child qualifies for medicaid for them.

cnc

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 1:15 pm
Does your child have an actual dx of ASD? Is he covered for ABA?

STMommy

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 2:00 pm
Might insurance pay for the therapies that will be provided in camp to at least subsidize the cost?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)