Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
S/O - Shavuos menu
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 8:42 pm
I am sitting here reading all your Shavuos menus and literally feel like crying. When do you have time to cook all this? And clean up?
I am a big proponent of cooking ahead and freezing, but there is still only so much I can do. And lots of these things sound like food you can't even prep much ahead.
I usually make no starter, one main, one starchy side and one veggie side per meal and then reuse leftovers for at least another meal. After reading that thread I feel like such a bad mother/wife
Do you not work, not have kids...? Am I missing something here?

tichellady

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 8:45 pm
I have no kids and don’t work and feel the same way as you. Will try to post my actual menu when I have it so you can see what types of things we serve.

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 8:48 pm
Please don't cry!!!

I didn't even think of a menu yet and we are hosting some families....

octopus

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 8:50 pm
Don't worry! You are not the only one who keeps things plain and simple! Also keep in mind that a dish name can sound fancy but in reality be a grilled cheese.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 8:51 pm
amother wrote:
I am sitting here reading all your Shavuos menus and literally feel like crying. When do you have time to cook all this? And clean up?
I am a big proponent of cooking ahead and freezing, but there is still only so much I can do. And lots of these things sound like food you can't even prep much ahead.
I usually make no starter, one main, one starchy side and one veggie side per meal and then reuse leftovers for at least another meal. After reading that thread I feel like such a bad mother/wife
Do you not work, not have kids...? Am I missing something here?

I work and have kids bh, so my only time to do anything is Sundays and nights. Really only ends up being nights after 8pm. So I do one or two things now at night. Clean up same night and leave dishes to dry overnight. Pretty much everything I am making is easy and freezeable. Examples:
Stuffed chicken
Shnitzel
Corned beef
Lukshen kugel
Apple kugel
Potato kugel
Challah
Brownies with store bought ice cream
Lasagna
Salmon will bake fresh but use bought marinade
Lots of salads, will make dressing a few days before
Soup made and froze

Let me know if I can help with any recipes or tips!!

dancingqueen

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 8:56 pm
It sounds like you’re doing great! The people who post obviously have brag-worthy menus Wink. The rest of us just have food. I do similar to you but I supplement with store bought kugels, desserts as needed that week.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 8:57 pm
Hi, that was so helpful! Could you please include your easiest, make ahead and freeze recipes?

allthingsblue

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 9:20 pm
amother wrote:
Hi, that was so helpful! Could you please include your easiest, make ahead and freeze recipes?

I only do make ahead recipes. I don't "patchke." No idea how these women do it, but it's not my idea of simchas yom tov. Not even as a Stay at home mom.

Here are some ideas.
Meats:
Corned beef
Veal roast
Brisket
Ribs

Poultry:
Any chicken on the bone- freeze raw, cook on yom tov
Schnitzel
Sesame chicken bites

Sides:
Lo mein
Rice
Couscous
Potato knishes
Puff pastry something or other
Broccoli kugel
Mushroom kugel
Cauliflower kugel
Eggplant (storebought breaded kind) in tomato sauce

Soups:
Any!

Fish: prep and freeze raw. Cook on yom tov.

Desserts:
Brownies
Compote
Fruit pie/crumble
Store bought ice cream or sorbet

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 9:26 pm
Quote:
I work and have kids bh, so my only time to do anything is Sundays and nights. Really only ends up being nights after 8pm. So I do one or two things now at night. Clean up same night and leave dishes to dry overnight. Pretty much everything I am making is easy and freezeable. Examples:
Stuffed chicken
Shnitzel
Corned beef
Lukshen kugel
Apple kugel
Potato kugel
Challah
Brownies with store bought ice cream
Lasagna
Salmon will bake fresh but use bought marinade
Lots of salads, will make dressing a few days before
Soup made and froze

Let me know if I can help with any recipes or tips!!

This is me! My nights also start at 8 and I do a lot Sundays but still have the kids around. This menu sounds much more like what I'm used to.
Thanks all for making me feel better!!!

amother
Gold

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 9:32 pm
I do make elaborate menus but a) I genuinely enjoy cooking, so I want to do that and b) I don't clean, so that frees up more time for cooking.

Shoshana37

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 9:32 pm
I have not even thought about Shavuot let alone menu. It’s definitely going to be very easy and breezy menu
Saturday night
Baked ziti with salad
Lunch:
Large toss salad
Grilled chicken

Dinner time
Soup

Lunch time
BBQ grill outside

That’s it I’m not doing anything extra believe it or not simple is sooooo much better.

I used to be one of those super women who worked full time and cooked all night and froze things and had three course meal at each siting.

No way Jose no more. My teenagers need me so menus are simple.
I can’t believe I literally tortured myself with little kids and all those meals and never rested and had full house of guests. Nope no more been there done that. So please don’t cry I’m sure you are amazing mom/wife.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 10:37 pm
I was going to post on the other thread, but then I realized that I'm trying to downsize, not upsize Smile. I'm having just my little kids and no guests, and no-one here really cares if it's called penne ala vodka or macaroni and cheese - actually I think they prefer the mac 'n cheese.

I don't make too many side dishes - I feel that challah, chicken or meat, and salads/ grilled vegetables is plenty - and our go to side dish is .... boiled potatoes!!! (Can you tell we're litvish?) I will probably make a kugel or two, because I always do - and like usual, it will go from fridge to oven to fridge to oven...

As for dessert, I honestly don't know why I have to go to the bother of putting bought whipped topping into a bought crust, with bought oreo cookies??? If this is your favorite dessert, I don't mean to knock it, but for me - store bought ice cream is fine, and I think I'll buy a package of black and white cookies as well. I'll probably make a sherbert, but that's it. (I like to make the sherbert because I feel like we're having a healthy dessert).

My eleven year old likes to bake, so he baked a cake for Shabbos - honestly, it's still sitting on the counter. The little kids don't eat it, and the adults don't need it... so what's the point?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 11:11 pm
I also make easy
The nights are basically the same menu

Fried Tilapia fish baked in special tomato sauce fish and sauce frozen
-or- Teriyaki salmon needs to be made fresh

Roast - made ahead sliced and frozen
Rice
Veggies- one night stringbeans, another night zucchini roasted in the oven with paprika, third night creamed spinach

Dessert- store bought

The two YT days will be dairy- DDs are each making 2-3 dishes

Shabbat Lunch I haven't planned yet

Cleaning I leave up to the maid.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 11:18 pm
Omg! I did not realize shavuos is coming! (in like really coming, I do say sefiras haomer every night...)
between work, doctor appointments, hospital & more. whatever will happen erev yomtov... I guess whatever I cook for shabos I'll just triple... maybe I'll go out for morning meal? will take it as it comes Smile

one thing for sure, menu threads will NOT stress me out Smile.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 11:20 pm
amother wrote:

Veggies- one night stringbeans, another night zucchini roasted in the oven with paprika, third night creamed spinach

Can you tell me how you make these? I'm always looking for easy good vegetable side dishes. Thanks!

amother
Jade

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 7:44 am
I didn't think much about Shavuos. I don't even know if I am having company. I love to cook but don't don't be advance so on Yom tov I will cook when able to and for Shabbos will cook before and use leftovers for meals....

ILOVELIFE

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 9:06 am
I work and I have BH kids and lots of guests but my job is so crazy stressful that I need an outlet. For some it’s yoga, for others it’s art and for me it’s cooking Wink

I love the kitchen and I tend to work in the early morning hours when I have the most energy and the house is somewhat quiet. It’s good for me...

No, I don’t donthings that require millions of steps or multi layers but I do love to plate beautifully and have that in mind when coordinating ideas.

So long as it doesn’t stress me and moreover relieves my stress, I will do it IyH but one year life was crazy and I bought every dairy thing, dessert and even one Kugel and focused on fish soup and meat

icebreaker

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 9:39 am
I’m not doing any meats except for salmon and even that is up for debate. Almost everything I’m making can be made today and tomorrow and I’ll put it in the fridge/freezer for Yom Tov. Plus my kids are older and can make one of the easier dishes. I really don’t like to cook or be in the kitchen longer than I have to. Only “guest” is my ex and he really doesn’t care about the food so I’m not going crazy. Don’t stress yourself out. Do what is easiest for you.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 9:42 am
dancingqueen wrote:
It sounds like you’re doing great! The people who post obviously have brag-worthy menus Wink. The rest of us just have food. I do similar to you but I supplement with store bought kugels, desserts as needed that week.

I disagree. I didn’t post in that thread, but when I do post my menus, it’s to give others ideas, not to brag. I know it was a joke, but still....

lfab

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 9:47 am
I work and have several little kids so I make sure to start early and make things I can freeze. Also, I don't make anything too fancy or complicated. In the weeks leading up to a yom tov I try to make at least 1 thing on at least 2 or 3 nights a week, plus a few things on Sunday. I like to have variety so I don't like to just make a lot of a few things. I'd rather prep ahead and make less of more dishes. But on years when I can't I just make fewer dishes.

So far for Shavuos I have made:
Corned beef-cooked and frozen
Tongue-cooked and frozen
Chicken on the bone-prepped and frozen raw, will cook erev yom tov
Breaded chicken cutlets-prepped and frozen raw, will cook erev yom tov
Deli roll
mini shepard's pies
mini butternut squash kugels
carrot kugel
cheesecake
cheesecake brownies
challah

Tonight I plan to make and freeze vegetable wontons. On Sunday I plan to prep lasagne and freeze it raw, then defrost and cook on erev yom tov. I also plan to make broccoli bites and freeze. If there's time I'll also prepare pizza calzones.
I'll save the vegetable/non-freezable dishes to make on Thursday night and Friday when I get home from work. Salads I prepare on yom tov.
I also have a list of things that I plan to make. But I'm also aware that I may not get around to making everything, and I'm ok with that. I know that if I don't make everything on my list noone will go hungry and it's ok if we have fewer sides.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics