Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
A salad a day. Any interesting recipes?

amother
Azure

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 3:50 pm
So, since I'm pregnant and I have been eating nothing but junk the past 3 months, I resolved to eat a salad a day. I'm look for delicious salads which will motivate me enough to actually want to eat it! Smile

mha3484

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 3:55 pm
This is delcious and very easy to make. https://cookieandkate.com/2018.....8438/

L25

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 4:19 pm
not op- but thanks! always looking for salads that don't involve lettuce!

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 5:52 pm
Kani salad -
Romaine lettuce shredded thinly
Seedless cucumbers or kirbies julienned or diced
Avocado cut into chunks
A few sticks of Kani (mock crab sticks, used in Sushi) , pulled apart into strings

Dressing:
Mayo
Rice vinegar
Sesame oil (small amount)
Salt
Sugar or sweetener
Sriracha sauce ( according to how hot you like it)
Small amount of water
Put all ingredients into a disposable container , cover , shake well until creamy and smoothe.

Marinated Colorful Salad-

Purple shredded cabbage
Diced yellow pepper
Diced orange pepper
Diced kirbies
Diced sour pickles
Grape tomatoes cut in half

Dressing:
White vinegar
Bit of oil (olive oil or canola)
Salt
Lemon pepper

Mix all ingredients well . Put salad ingredients in a tightly sealed bowl and let marinate a few hours or overnight.

Every day salad -

Romaine lettuce cut into pieces
Grape tomatoes
Kirbies
(Avocado optional)
Caesar or Onion Garlic Croutons (optional)

Dressing:
Light Mayonaisse
Squirt mustard
1 frozen crushed garlic
Tbsp honey
Sweetener or sugar ( small amount)
White vinegar
Salt
Pepper
Small amount of water

Add ingredients to small disposable container and cover . Shake very well until color is pale yellow, creamy and smoothe

I created the recipes above so I don't have exact amounts.

cbg

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 9:47 pm
You can make green smoothie for great easy nutrition.
Here are some tips
1. Start out with small portion of greens and slowly increase
2. Add fruit that will make it creamy banana, mango, avocado, besides other fruit.
3. Make sure it's very very cold. Much yummier.
4. Add a healthy fat flax, chia, almond butter, tehina, for complete nutrition and satiation.
5. Experiment with different flavors. I like spicy so I add a little ginger and cinnamon.

There are a lot to f YouTube videos.

lucky14

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 10:40 pm
I just got this book: https://www.amazon.com/Clean-E.....1930. Has some good recipes with not too many ingredients and easy to make.

One salad I make for myself quite often is:
I roast zucchini (carrots, mushrooms, onion, zucchini and/or any squash is yummy also) with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.
I prepare quinoa (I make a lot -and freeze it in small portions).
I take lettuce+ chopped tomato+ quinoa+ the roasted veggies+ mozzarella cheese (or an egg) - I add salt, pepper and a LOT of garlic powder to it all. put on dressing. and voila. a salad that's a meal.

lucky14

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 10:42 pm
dark leafy lettuce + tomatoes + roasted butternut squash or sweet potato + shredded cheese is also really good (season it all and add dressing).

Jewel22

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 12:52 am
My everyday salad which is delicious is
Tomatoes
Cucumber
Avocado
Sprinkle in feta cheese
Squeeze some lemon
Salt and pepper
And oil
Mix it up and I eat it with crackers sometimes.

tichellady

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 1:08 am
If you want to start being healthy I would start with a soup a day, rather than a salad. Many salads don’t end up being so healthy, and the healthier ones tend to be a lot of work

livinginflatbus

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 9:22 am
Green smoothies Are great nutritious and filling .

abaker

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 2:04 pm
a soup and a salad a day sounds amazing. great ideas on here, they're making me hungry.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 2:36 pm
I LOVE salads and eat them often (though more often a side dish as I don't find a salad filling unless there's a lot of avocado involved). They're all fairly easy to make.

Kolorabi-carrot-pepper salad: slice all into sticks, olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper.

Multi colored pepper salad: cut up 3 colors of peppers into sticks, dice red onion, some black olive rings, olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper.

Red cabbage salad: 1 pckg shredded red cabbage, dice one white onion, put some oil, 5 T lemon juice, 4 T sugar (or other sweetner), and 1 t salt. Can add some chow mein noodles or peanuts for crunch.

Italian salad: (not the healthiest but really yummy) shredded iceberg lettuce (I like the dale mix that comes with iceberg lettuce, purple cabbage, and shredded carrots), cucumbers, tomatoes, croutons, some olives, and italian dressing. You can also add some feta or parmesan for extra yum.

Carrot scallion salad: 7 carrots cut up into sticks (or grated carrots), 5 scallions cut small, olive oil, vinegar, salt.

Tabouli salad: soak 1-2 C bulgur in hot water for an hour and drain (you can also make this salad with cooked couscous or quinoa). Add 1-2 diced tomatoes, 1/2 red onion, 1/2 diced red pepper, 1 grated carrot, and lots of chopped parsley. Olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper.
Alternatively, you can do couscous/bulgur/quinoa and add a peeled & diced green apple, craisins, and some fried onion. Comes out delicious.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 2:37 pm
Also:

Fennel salad: cut up fennel, olive oil, lemon or vinegar, salt, pepper.

Asian salad: coleslaw mix shredded cabbage, craisins, sesame seeds, sesame oil, some soysauce, slivered almonds, peanuts, or cashews, 1 t sugar, a little bit of black pepper. Ginger (optional)

Mushroom salad: cut up fresh mushrooms, add 1/3 of a red onion, tomatoes, and lots of parsley. Oil, balsamic vinegar (or lemon juice), salt, pepper.

Corn salad: can of corn, some diced pickles, red pepper, red onion, dressing: mayo, a dash of vinegar, pepper, and some sugar if you want it sweeter.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 3:20 pm
Thanks a lot imas. This is really helpful!
I am all for soups but not in this heat. I do make smoothies too normally but so far this pregnancy I have no interest whatsoever. For some reason I caught salad fever so here I go!! 😁😁😁

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 4:18 pm
Arugula, beets, orange slices and goat cheese. You can use an OJ/red wine vinegar dressing, but I usually skip it.

Quinoa bowls -- quinoa mixed with whatever veggies you have and enjoy -- radishes, peppers, mushrooms, snap peas, etc. With a lemon vinaigrette

Spinach, pears, walnuts, pomegranate seeds and feta. With a vinegar, olive oil, honey, and mustard dressing

TeachersNotebook

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 1:12 am
Ooh six of wands, your salads are my style!
To the person who said salads don't turn out that healthy - let's be real about healthy. Adding a touch of mayo to your salad doesn't negate the fact that you've just eaten 3 servings of vegetables or fruits in one sitting. There are ways to make salads more or less healthy, but they always start out healthy, and should always be encouraged.

Op, I like to vary the protein in my everyday salads. I might start with lettuce, tomatoes, and avocado. But then I might add sunflower seeds, chopped nuts, tuna, chopped egg, or cheese, or all of it!, depending on my mood. I also found that adding something cooked takes your salad to a whole new level. This can be roasted vegetables (I like beets or squash) or chicken, meat, fish or tofu.

Also look up recipes for Buddha bowls. These are salads with a grain base, which makes it a meal in a bowl.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking