Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
ISO specific OOT community

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 9:10 am
Not sure if this exists, but I'm hoping we can find it! Our absolute musts are:

1. A sizeable representation within the community of thinking black hat types. People with a strong yeshiva background who aren't uber yeshivish but take learning seriously. A heterogenous mix of people would be great, but this group must be well represented with some sort of community leader (Rav, RY).

2. Excellent schools for boys and girls from elementary through HS. Excellent meaning: well run, strong kodesh and chol curricula on par with the better right wing schools in Brooklyn.

3. A sefardi shul. Please mention the background of the members if you have this information (ie Syrian, Persian, black hat mix etc).

doctorima

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 10:33 am
Baltimore certainly comes to mind and definitely meets your first 2 points. They certainly have Sefardi shuls, but hopefully somebody from there can give more detailed info about them. Other options that meet the first 2 points and probably have Sefardi options are Passaic and Edison, and for a more OOT option, look into Houston.

mha3484

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 10:34 am
Chicago has all of that.

Mommy1:)

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 10:37 am
have you looked into Rochester? I think Rochester has everything you described.
http://www.torahrochester.com/

Last edited by Mommy1:) on Wed, Dec 28 2022, 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 10:59 am
doctorima wrote:
Baltimore certainly comes to mind and definitely meets your first 2 points. They certainly have Sefardi shuls, but hopefully somebody from there can give more detailed info about them. Other options that meet the first 2 points and probably have Sefardi options are Passaic and Edison, and for a more OOT option, look into Houston.

Thanks. Is schooling in Baltimore really excellent?

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 11:00 am
mha3484 wrote:
Chicago has all of that.

Thank you. What area has the greatest concentration of black hat types in their low to mid thirties? Do you happen to know anything about sefardi shuls?

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 11:01 am
Mommy1:) wrote:
have you looked into Rochester? I think Rochester has everything you described.
http://www.torahrochester.com/

Thanks. Rochester has a sefardi shul? Is the school excellent? IME the further oot schools tend to have a less strong curriculum for whatever reason.

mha3484

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 11:07 am
amother wrote:
Thank you. What area has the greatest concentration of black hat types in their low to mid thirties? Do you happen to know anything about sefardi shuls?

West Rogers Park has the greatest concentration of black hat types. The Sephardic Shul is called Ohel Shalom and its Rabbi is Rabbi Raccah. http://www.ohelshalomchicago.org/ I dont daven there so I would reach out to him and ask him some questions. Hes really fantastic.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 11:13 am
deleted .

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 28 2022, 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

doctorima

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 11:25 am
amother wrote:
Thanks. Is schooling in Baltimore really excellent?

There are 2 main options for boys - TI (more yeshivish) and TA (a little less), and 2 for girls - Bais Yaakov (a huge but very well-run community school), and Bnos Yisroel (more yeshivish but smaller and can be hard to get in). People there are very happy with the quality of education, both Kodesh and chol.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating