Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
What is WITH these men?

zaq

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 7:08 pm
Is there such a thing as a powerful man who doesn’t think he is entitled to any and all women? Even the former good guys— the Elliot Spitzers, the Eric Schneidermans, fearlessly battling for truth, justice and the American way—turn out to be sleazebuckets. (OK, Schneiderman has just now been accused and should be given benefit of the doubt unless and until he’s proven guilty, and his ex-wife who seemingly has no reason to defend him, says he’s not a violent guy, but still...)

G-d forbid my hero and champion of the common people, Chuck Schumer, should turn out to be a scumbag like so many of his colleagues. There’s gotta be SOME genuine good guys out there. Stay clean, Chuck. We need you in office.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 7:24 pm
zaq wrote:
Is there such a thing as a powerful man who doesn’t think he is entitled to any and all women? Even the former good guys— the Elliot Spitzers, the Eric Schneidermans, fearlessly battling for truth, justice and the American way—turn out to be sleazebuckets. (OK, Schneiderman has just now been accused and should be given benefit of the doubt unless and until he’s proven guilty, and his ex-wife who seemingly has no reason to defend him, says he’s not a violent guy, but still...)

G-d forbid my hero and champion of the common people, Chuck Schumer, should turn out to be a scumbag like so many of his colleagues. There’s gotta be SOME genuine good guys out there. Stay clean, Chuck. We need you in office.

Jared Polis and Mark Takano.

I'm betting Jared Polis and Mark Takano are immune to any and all women.

They're also openly gay.

zaq

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 7:41 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Jared Polis and Mark Takano.

I'm betting Jared Polis and Mark Takano are immune to any and all women.

They're also openly gay.

There is that. But maybe they feel entitled to prey on other men and boys?

causemommysaid

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 7:55 pm
Generally these professions don't attract good guys. Even if they do, power corrupts. Who knows what a person will turn into given money and control over others?

Although I am no fan of Pence I can't for the life of me understand why people were making fun of him for having such strict policies with women. That is probably the one area where I agree with him. A man in power can easily prey on others and make a huge mistake. Good for him for recognizing this and protecting himself, his marriage, and the women who work for him.

tf

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 8:07 pm
OP, they are MEEEEN!!! They have the chemistry that causes. .... That's why Hashem gave us mitzvahs regarding this matter. Yetser huro, yetser tov.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 8:32 pm
There is
Reb Moshe...

Oh wait.. He's not living and he's not in politics.
Nevermind... Carry on ladies..

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 8:35 pm
And Zaq is back!!!

Fox

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 5:30 pm
An incredibly important article by Kay Hymowitz that I believe everyone should read:

The S-xual Revolution's Angry Children

It does have some bad language and prust descriptions in it, so for those who would prefer not to read it in its entirety or who are blocked from doing so, I'll excerpt the key argument:

Quote:
The s-xual revolution endorsed the value of female s-xual desire, autonomy, and consent; this is a genuine moral achievement and, thankfully, a settled part of modern life. But the revolution also helped midwife a number of the nation’s most troubling domestic problems: the soaring number of single-parent families, legions of fatherless children, and the related ills of inequality, poverty, achievement gaps, and men MIA from the workplace and family life.

Now, #MeToo’s counterrevolution is exposing other unintended consequences to the triumph of s-xual deregulation. In every human society, powerful males take advantage of their positions to procure s-x partners—the younger and prettier, the better. The radically laissez-faire s-xual attitudes that Americans set in motion five decades ago didn’t give permission to predators to have their way, but it did help them convince themselves that they weren’t monsters. More modest sinners—stealth kissers, gropers, and flashers—could well have thought, hey, who wouldn’t want to have s-x with a pretty young thing and, after all, women are as hot for s-x as any guy, aren’t they?

Quote:
The revolution’s blindness to la différence also created a little-understood dilemma for young, single women now leading the charge. By ignoring the truth that females across cultures and species are “choosier” than males about s-xual partners and by proclaiming s-xual self-expression as the primo value for all enlightened people, it weakened social support for those women who weren’t in the mood.

Quote:
Women will always be gatekeepers; the biological mechanics of s-x and the facts of reproduction demand it. So does the reality of female choosiness. As Nora Ephron once said, musing about her ex-husband, a lot of men “would have s-x with a Venetian blind.”

The s-xual revolution stripped young women of the social support they need to play gatekeeper, just as it deprived men of a positive vision, or even a reason, for self-restraint. Recognizing those losses is where any reformation has to start.

Torah observance has insulated us from the worst impacts of the s-xual revolution, but as we see from the number of threads connected to [filth], SA, and infidelity, we shouldn't become complacent or glamorize what is happening in the secular world.

iluvy

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 5:38 pm
This is why men are just not cut out for the workforce. They just can't control their emotions.

Fox

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 6:04 pm
iluvy wrote:
This is why men are just not cut out for the workforce. They just can't control their emotions.

Assume you're joking, but it's true. Modern work increasingly puts men at a disadvantage:

From The End of Men in The Atlantic, going back 8 years:

Quote:
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, women now hold 51.4 percent of managerial and professional jobs—up from 26.1 percent in 1980. They make up 54 percent of all accountants and hold about half of all banking and insurance jobs. About a third of America’s physicians are now women, as are 45 percent of associates in law firms—and both those percentages are rising fast. A white-collar economy values raw intellectual horsepower, which men and women have in equal amounts. It also requires communication skills and social intelligence, areas in which women, according to many studies, have a slight edge.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics