Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
My house smells - help!
Previous  1  2

lizard8

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 10:37 am
Baking soda absorbs smells. Due to allergies, I can't use air fresheners so I work the other way. There are baking soda boxes meant for fridges. When opened, the baking soda can't spill, it has a mesh like side to absorb. I keep an open box in my car.
I'm not sure how many boxes you'll need in a home, but they are pretty inexpensive and its worth a shot. Or you can pour baking soda in pretty vases that are used to decorate the home.

You can also try closet fresheners, I think they absorb moisture and smells, but never used them.

If that doesn;t work, you can do anything to cover up the smell. If you can handle febreeze, use the plug ins, they work pretty well. I like to boil cinnamon sticks because commercial things are bad for our allergies.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 10:44 am
There are vents for wall ovens? I had no idea, but it is an interior wall so I doubt it will be affordable .

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 11:25 am
amother wrote:
There are vents for wall ovens? I had no idea, but it is an interior wall so I doubt it will be affordable .

Call the appliance manufacturer and find out about vent filters. Tell them what the issue is.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 3:27 pm
For the kitchen, if your stove doesn't have a vent you can open a nearby window (if you have one) and put in a fan that blows OUT while you cook. That's basically what one over the stove top does. It won't be positioned perfectly but it may help. Also wash up as you go as much as possible and clean dishes promptly.

Oh, and check the drain in your dishwasher. They get revolting and it's not something we usually think to clean.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 9:17 pm
another thought ... sponges should be changed more often than people would like ... and rinsed/squeezed properly

same for mops - if you wash your floors with a musty mop you're just spreading the smell

open windows & put up fans to cross vent every day - especially when cooking
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry