Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
I think we're moving...help!

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 7:07 pm
Found out that we might be moving from NY to the mid-west middle of the summer. Help! Where do I start? What do I start with? I've started speaking to movers to discuss a possible date, but they want inventory, how do I know what to take? what's not worth taking? Things are still up in the air. I don't know if I'm coming or going.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 7:12 pm
amother wrote:
Found out that we might be moving from NY to the mid-west middle of the summer. Help! Where do I start? What do I start with? I've started speaking to movers to discuss a possible date, but they want inventory, how do I know what to take? what's not worth taking? Things are still up in the air. I don't know if I'm coming or going.

I'm assuming you will be taking beds, bedroom furniture , couches, dining room furniture, dinette table and chairs.
Then you need to decide if you are taking major appliances or not.
Cribs, highchair big baby gear items decide if you are taking
Go through all your clothes In storage and see if you plan on ever using it again. If not, donate it. Same goes for anything else lying around that you haven't touched in years.
Than figure how many boxes you will be packing depending on the size of your family . Is it more like 50 or 100?
Also how much sefarim are you planning on moving ?

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 7:14 pm
They come to your house, look at your stuff, and give you an estimate. You take everything you want or don’t want to pay to replace. Leave the stuff that’s not worth shlepping. Do you have a house ? Do you have schools for kids (if applicable) do you have a job? If yes your good to go!

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 7:19 pm
I moved from NY to the Mid-west a few years ago. I found this post super helpful: https://lifeinthemarriedlane.c.....ving/

I called many different movers for quotes and found a huge range. So make sure you call around. Moving is not fun. Start going through things now and try to downsize as much as possible.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 7:27 pm
Another tip is to download a moving app. You can number each box, take a photo of the contents and list what's inside. It helped me tremendously. Like if I was looking for something specific like a challah cover, I just needed to search for it and it would tell me which number box it was in.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 7:29 pm
It's a bit early to schedule movers. When you're certain that you'll be moving you can begin calling for estimates.

OutATowner

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 7:30 pm
When in doubt, throw it out!

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 7:31 pm
One more tip for now: When labeling boxes, I designated a letter and then number (A27) . So when the movers came to my destination I was able to direct, A boxes to kitchen, B to bedroom, C to dining room etc.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 9:54 pm
I guess I'm trying to figure out what's worth moving. For example, we have one couch that I hate--dont' want to move it, but we have another couch that looks ugly, but it has a cover and its a sofa bed so I guess its worth keeping (we got both couches for free)--but is it?
My kids have basic beds--mattress and box spring, but they came with the house--worth keeping? We have a ton of books and toys, and kids of varying ages--how do I know whats worth keeping? I know its early, we upgraded from an apartment to a house not that long ago, and now we're moving again. We moved so quickly and locally I didn't take the time to really go through and organize and now things are everywhere. We want to book the movers soon so we can get a good price and the date we want, but no we dont have a house yet.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 11:48 pm
1) I didn't pack a lot of stuff that I thought wasn't worth it. Turns out it was a mistake, because we needed it, low quality/ugly and all, and I couldn't replace it. So unless you can replace those things, bring 'em.

2) Declutter now. Go through the piles and get rid of what you don't need.

3) Lots of great tips here: http://www.flylady.net/d/getti.....ving/

4) We moved midwest to east coast using ABF UPack, a bit more complicated but WAY, WAY cheaper than a full-service mover. (They bring a truck to your house, you pack it yourself or hire movers to pack it, and they measure the amount of space you used and bill for that. Then they drive it for you to your new place and you unload/hire help to unload from there. Or you use their packing cubes, a bit more expensive but easier for us. Hiring moving help is easy, there are links on Uhaul.com and other places. You still have to pack, but for us was worth it.)

5) Gam Zeh Yaavor. It is a rough time but it will pass. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating