Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
ASD/difficult toddler help!

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 8:38 pm
Hi,
I have a 2 year old diagnosed with ASD. She is soo difficult. Everything is a kvetch and cry. I say you need to ask nicely and then she will say "please can I..." But she doesn't seem to know what I want/What my emotions are. If I give her even something she likes she will cry because she wants a bigger piece/she wants a different one/she wants to sit on this chair/ or that chair. EVERYTHING IS A FIGHT!She can be crying for a while and then see something interesting and be happy again. It is so emotionally draining to deal with her. I try to validate all her feelings and sometimes this helps-but not often enough.
Who do I turn to for help? A BCBA? A therapist? I feel so lost and helpless.
Does anyone have any experience with this or any tips?
Thank You!

imasinger

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 8:52 pm
Hugs.

A BCBA would be particularly helpful for what you describe, because you are talking about behavior challenges. A BCBA can help her, but also work with you, to help you figure the best response.

Speech therapy would help with the communication issues, and beginning to learn/think about other people.

OT might help her learn more about her own physical comfort zone, and how to expand it.

Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)