Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Many tiny bugs on lettuce ok to soak wash check and eat?

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 3:02 pm
I think for cauliflower and broccoli if you see a bunch of bugs you're supposed to throw it out, does the same apply to lettuce which is easier to wash and see the bugs? I have organic lettuce, which I know is buggier, but one package each lettuce seems to have many tiny bugs on them. Is it ok to wash soak in unscented soap and wash and check it? Or does it all need to be thrown out?

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 4:24 pm
I learned that if you see more than three it is infested and needs to be tossed.

flowerpower

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 4:53 pm
I would trash it!

greenfire

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 4:57 pm
you can rinse a couple off ... you cannot rinse an infestation away

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 5:41 pm
You could but it would be time consuming.

I would wash it carefully and check it twice. If it’s clean its clean and kosher.

Broccoli and cauliflower is worse because they have little crevices where if a bug hides you cannot find it as much as you check. Lettuce isn’t the same.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 7:34 pm
I soak my org greens in a mixture of cold water and little bit of white vinegar. The creatures die immediately.
Then I rinse them off and dunk in a basin of clean water.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, May 12 2018, 1:47 pm
It sounds like you have aphids. They come off really easily in vinegar or salt water rinse. Just double check in good light, if you trust your eyes.

I never buy organic lettuce for this reason. I have yet to find any that isn't buggy. Where I live I can get greenhouse lettuce, and I rarely ever find a bug, maybe just one or two.

reality mom

Post Sat, May 12 2018, 10:24 pm
I would trash it!

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 12:15 am
I washed it well each piece of romaine and then checked it with the lightbox and found quite a few and when I rechecked I didn't see any . Was wondering if I should eat it

tichellady

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 12:48 am
amother wrote:
I washed it well each piece of romaine and then checked it with the lightbox and found quite a few and when I rechecked I didn't see any . Was wondering if I should eat it

Sounds fine to me. I would have tossed it but since you already cleaned it and checked twice I don’t see why you can’t use it

AlwaysThinking

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 8:47 am
No way. First I heard if there's more than three you have to toss it, but also so many times I've seen infestation inside the tiny hollow stalks when the lettuce is badly infested. Almost impossible to see without cutting the lettuce down the stalks and looking and even then, do you really trust yourself not to miss even one? Totally not worth the risk, spiritually speaking!

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 12:29 pm
amother wrote:

OP here. this is a different poster. I used different lettuce.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 12:54 pm
Riff wrote:
No way. First I heard if there's more than three you have to toss it, but also so many times I've seen infestation inside the tiny hollow stalks when the lettuce is badly infested. Almost impossible to see without cutting the lettuce down the stalks and looking and even then, do you really trust yourself not to miss even one? Totally not worth the risk, spiritually speaking!

Thank you for writing this!
G-d forbid, eating pork is one lav from the Torah. Each bug on your lettuce is between 4 or 5 lavim (if I remember correct)
Any questions?
Organic leafy produce=full of bugs, don't buy it!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions