Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What to make with ricotta? other supper ideas?

abaker

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 12:15 pm
got a bunch of containers of ricotta cheese on sale. what can I make on stovetop or on a griddle (don't have a dairy oven other than small toaster oven which takes forever)

I do ziti with ricotta in a pot, also lasagna in the toaster oven. does anyone have a recipe for ricotta pancakes? any other ideas appreciated. since pesach we are having a hard time figuring out what to make for lunch and dinner that everyone will eat, but maybe that's another topic in itself. all ideas welcome.

Teomima

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 12:19 pm
You can find recipes for ricotta ravioli, gnocchi, and pancakes. My favorite thing to do with ricotta though is snack on a small bowl of it, drizzled with honey or silan and chopped walnuts.

Pamela

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 12:21 pm
I have a good cheese cake recipe that’s part cream cheese and part ricotta, I make a ricotta gnocchi, ricotta ravioli....

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 12:24 pm
1/2 cup ricotta cheese 
1/2 cup flour 
1/4 cup sugar 
2 eggs 

Whisk together. Fry pancakes.

greenfire

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 12:29 pm
another topping for cheese pizza - with black olives & garlic with olive oil

say cheesecake Tongue Out ~ it is almost shavuos

Tech_mom

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 12:51 pm
spinach borekes

package of flaky dough squares
frozen spinach - a few heaping tablespoons
shredded mozzarella - 1/4 package
ricotta cheese - a few heaping tablespoons
1 egg

prepare filling. put in defrosted squares. fold into triangles and press the seems. bake on 450 for 20-30 minutes.

abaker

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 12:56 pm
Pamela wrote:
I have a good cheese cake recipe that’s part cream cheese and part ricotta, I make a ricotta gnocchi, ricotta ravioli....

I've never mastered gnocchi, do you have a recipe? I loveeee ravioli but it sounds like a lot of work. is it hard to make?

Teomima

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 1:14 pm
Pasta dough is easy, just mix flour, a bit of salt, an egg, and enough water to make a tough dough. Knead well then cover and let rest for an hour. Then it'll be soft and pliable. Roll out thin (use a pasta machine if you have it, but not necessary), and cut into wide strips. Plop your filling down along one strip and moisten the surrounding dough with water. Place another strip on top, press down between the bits of filling, and cut apart (easiest to do with a pizza cutter). Boil for about five minutes.

Ricotta filing can be plain with salt and pepper, or added salty cheese, or chopped steamed spinach, mashed baked sweet potato, etc.

Pamela

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 1:17 pm
abaker wrote:
I've never mastered gnocchi, do you have a recipe? I loveeee ravioli but it sounds like a lot of work. is it hard to make?

Really simple, once you get the hang of it. This is my recipe, tried to give you a thorough run-through:

1 pound fresh whole milk ricotta cheese
1 large egg
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
2 cups flour, sifted, plus extra for rolling dough

Mix thoroughly egg ,ricotta cheese and oil . Add grated parmesan cheese to mixture and sprinkle with nutmeg to taste. Add sifted flour a little at a time and continue to mix thoroughly until dough comes together. Dump onto generously floured surface and work with hands to bring together into a smooth ball. Add more flour as necessary until dough is smooth and no longer sticks to your hands. Cut off slices of dough like cutting a loaf of bread and roll into ropes thumb size thick by spreading hands and fingers and rolling from center out to each edge of the rope.
Line one rope parallel to another and cut 2 at a time into 1-inch pieces. Roll each piece off the back of a fork to make imprints that will help hold the sauce. Transfer gnocchi pieces to a lightly floured or non-stick baking sheet so they don’t stick together and put in the freezer while making the rest of batch. If you plan to save any gnocchi for future use, allow them to freeze entirely on the baking sheet before storing in a ziplock bag to prevent sticking together. When ready to prepare, bring a large stockpot of generously salted water to a boil. Add gnocchi to boiling water and gently stir once with a wooden spoon to create movement and prevent gnocchi from sticking to the bottom. As gnocchi rise to the top {a sign they are done cooking} scoop them out with a mesh strainer or a bamboo wire skimmer and immediately place in serving bowl shaking off excess water. Scoop some sauce on top of each layer of gnocchi as they are placed in the bowl to eliminate the need to stir them with sauce in the end and risk damaging or smashing the pasta. Generously grate parmesan over the top and serve.

Pamela

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 1:20 pm
Forgot to specify, above recipe is for gnocchi. Do you want ravioli recipe too? I see Teomima mentioned a ravioli recipe

tichellady

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 2:02 pm
You can make a crustless spinach ricotta quiche in the toaster oven

trixx

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 2:48 pm
You can freeze ricotta. If texture changes a little it doesn't affect taste

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 2:49 pm
How about cheese blintzes? They're made stovetop.

abaker

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 8:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
1/2 cup ricotta cheese 
1/2 cup flour 
1/4 cup sugar 
2 eggs 

Whisk together. Fry pancakes.

update: I made these, and added a little cinnamon. I doubled the recipe. I was surprised how yummy they were since the batter looked really thick to me. but they turned out really nicely! (another awesome recipe by ra_mom of course so why am I surprised?)

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 8:46 pm
abaker wrote:
update: I made these, and added a little cinnamon. I doubled the recipe. I was surprised how yummy they were since the batter looked really thick to me. but they turned out really nicely! (another awesome recipe by ra_mom of course so why am I surprised?)

Glad to hear! It's a old old recipe from the brown heimish cookbook. It calls for cottage cheese and you need to blend the batter, but with ricotta you can just mix it up by hand.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen