Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving on a Friday- crazy?

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 7:58 pm
Basically, the way it works out for a move plus the movers we want to use, we will have to move on a Friday. We can only move that week, no earlier and no later. We could use a different mover that has availability earlier in the week, but we have had a good experience with these movers in the past and I'd rather not have to research other companies and take a chance on the unknown. Also we're moving in the summer, so Shabbos starts late. We are moving about 15 miles from our current location, so no concerns about travel and we will be living within walking distance of several family members, so we won't have to do anything for Shabbos other than have sheets on our beds and clothes to wear.

Honestly, I'm leaning towards doing it, but I can't shake the feeling that this is nuts. I don't travel long distances on erev Shabbos even in the summer, so what makes me think I can move on erev Shabbos? But they'll be starting at 7 am, it's not that far, and we have full packing service so everything will be packed and ready to go, we won't be running around grabbing random things. But are we crazy to do this?

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 8:28 pm
It is a little crazy, but I would do it considering it’s not far and you have family nearby. Pack what you need for Shabbos in a separate box or suitcase and plan to not even think about the rest until after and know that the house will be a mess. You’ll have more than 12 hours to do the move and you said it’ll all be packed. Sounds fine to me.

Pickle1

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 8:42 pm
I did it. last summer. was the best thing ever. moved all day friday - packed out right b4 shbbs, left my kids by the family I went to for shbbs, and had m"s and sunday straight for unpacking. I work during the week and have 5 little ones. for me it worked out amazing. by tues/wed my house was enough in order that I was able to make shbbs the following week

MGmom

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 8:47 pm
I would pack shabbos stuff separate just in case u run a bit late or things don’t go as planned. But I’ve already done it erev a summer shabbos and I wasn’t pressured to unpack a single box besides for fridge/freezer and shabbos stuff and everything went great. We actually had such a beautiful shabbos and we were so well rested and upbeat to start unpacking on motzei. We weren’t drained from packing. I would do it again if need be.

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 9:01 pm
Can you move some things yourselves on Thursday ?

Like some kitchen things, kettle,urn, and stock the pantry with tea coffee and other foods, move things into the bathrooms, hang up towels, have the sheets ready to make the beds? Then as soon as the beds come you make them, and you know that whatever happens you're ok for Shabbat? (you said you can eat with family)?

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 9:01 pm
Thanks, I'm feeling better about it already!

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 9:11 pm
I wouldn't because I'm nowhere near organized enough to make it work. But you know yourself and if you think you could pull it off then go for it!

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 9:16 pm
I did it and it was a nightmare! I had a colicy newborn, got strep that day and was sick like a dog and the movers worked so slow cuz it was a boiling hot day. It was a local move, houses a ten minute drive away from one another and I barely lit candles on time that week!! I am still traumatized from that move(and it's years later!)

mommyhood

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 9:19 pm
I've done it twice. If you have your Shabbos meals taken care of it shouldn't be a problem.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 9:34 pm
I've seen people do it. They have Shabbos precooked. The movers move the mattresses with the sheets on the bed and all the families clothes, underwear etc. are packed in a suitcase as if they are going away for Shabbos. Everything else gets delivered by the movers and put into their designated rooms. If there is time, you can unpack a few boxes but the bulk of unpacking gets done on Motzai Shabbos and Sunday. As far as enough time to move everything, when I moved, we started at 8:00 and the movers finished by 2:00. I think that gives you time to all shower, warm up food, set your table and lecht. The house is more or less clean unless it's a rainy day and the movers track in mud.
And then think of resting and napping on Shabbos to recharge your batteries for the big unpacking. I say not crazy at all.

seeker

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 12:36 am
Can you go away for that Shabbos? You say you're not moving far so maybe an old neighbor/friend?

amother
Green

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 1:09 am
I moved twice on a Friday. No big deal.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 1:18 am
to make you feel better- I remember years ago, my friends family moved on a Friday & they said it was because of some kind of segulah or something- that it is good to move on a Friday.
Whenever it is, may it be with much mazel & hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating