Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Lactose intolerance??

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 6:46 pm
My 18 month old gets terrible diahrea and diaper rash from milk and cheese. He didnt react for a while to yogurt, just haven't given it recently while testing things out. Soy milk also diahrea but not as awful. Almond milk he's fine with. Now trying lactaid and again the diahrea and rash are awful.
So now I'm confused, what does this indicate, what ingredients should I be looking out for?

amother
Copper

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 7:03 pm
Why are you thinking lactose intolerance? Sounds to me like an actual milk allergy (possibly soy too). Why don't you do allergy testing?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 7:06 pm
When we first went to the dr after trying milk, he said definitely lactose intolerance, stay away from all dairy even lactaid. He said its not allergy symptoms, its only diahrea and diaper rash. Just other pple are saying see what he can tolerate.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 7:07 pm
I think we asked about allergy testing, I don't remember why he said not to. Maybe he's too young?

amother
Copper

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 7:08 pm
amother wrote:
When we first went to the dr after trying milk, he said definitely lactose intolerance, stay away from all dairy even lactaid. He said its not allergy symptoms, its only diahrea and diaper rash. Just other pple are saying see what he can tolerate.

Your pediatrician is not an allergist. Those can be allergy symptoms- go get him tested.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 8:03 pm
amother wrote:
I think we asked about allergy testing, I don't remember why he said not to. Maybe he's too young?

Definitely not too young (speaking from plenty of experience).

octopus

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 8:16 pm
When my kid was 18 month old they also got diahrea and rashes from milk. Took kid to allergist.(def not too early). Anyway, it wasn't a true milk allergy but I had to treat it as an allergy (I.e. avoid) . Kept the kid off of milk until 2.5 and at that point kid outgrew it.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 10:33 pm
amother wrote:
Why are you thinking lactose intolerance? Sounds to me like an actual milk allergy (possibly soy too). Why don't you do allergy testing?

A few of my children were lactose intolerant, and these symptoms are very typical. My kids had those exact symptoms, plus stomach-aches (which your children are too young to tell you about, if they have that). It's actually possible to test for lactose intolerance - so you can know for sure. As kids get older, they can take lactaid tablets with dairy, and sometimes they will outgrow it completely.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 2:05 am
Dd was intolerant to milk (and soy) until she was 7. It was not lactose intolerance and it was not an full on allergy. But we had to treat it like an allergy because the symptoms were so bad.
It appeared to be an intolerance to the milk protein, not the lactose.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 2:12 am
ra_mom wrote:
Dd was intolerant to milk (and soy) until she was 7. It was not lactose intolerance and it was not an full on allergy. But we had to treat it like an allergy because the symptoms were so bad.
It appeared to be an intolerance to the milk protein, not the lactose.

There's an easy well to tell if it's lactose intolerance or an allergy. There is a formula called lactose free (maybe they've changed the name). If the child gets better- then it's the lactose. I guess this wouldn't work for older children - but a lactaid pill might.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 2:26 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
There's an easy well to tell if it's lactose intolerance or an allergy. There is a formula called lactose free (maybe they've changed the name). If the child gets better- then it's the lactose. I guess this wouldn't work for older children - but a lactaid pill might.

She couldn't tolerate the lactose free dairy either. The doctor said it was a casein (milk protein) allergy.
BH she outgrew it.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 5:12 am
Please get him tested!!! My baby didn't get diarrhea but got constipated and had a lot of pain (very very little eczema). My dr said that I should stop giving her diary to see if it makes a difference. I was nursing her so I stopped eating diary for 3 weeks (totally nothing that's considered milchig) and I didn't see a big difference (it was less obvious because I was nursing her).
Anyway I didn't give it much thought for another whole year (!!!!) till I went to a pediatric gastroenterologist and she said (after blood tests) that my dd is allergic to cow milk. If only I would have tested it earlier. She suffered so much for nothing!!!! Broken Heart The dr ordered allergy testing and blood tests and only on the blood test did they see that she had an allergy.
Also lactose intolerance is different than an allergy to milk. Lactose intolerance is not visible in the blood and needs different testing....
Good luck and please do some real testing. It will be so much easier for you and your child Hug

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 6:17 am
ra_mom wrote:
She couldn't tolerate the lactose free dairy either. The doctor said it was a casein (milk protein) allergy.
BH she outgrew it.

That sounds like what we are dealing with.
Did you officially test for it or juts took your dr.s word?
What did she drink? I try to avoid juice... just almond milk and water? What did you do for calcium?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics