Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
3rd Night Mikvah (Meal Ideas)

corolla

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 8:04 am
It's highly likely that I will have to go to the mikvah on the 3rd night of Yom Tov (DH still needs to ask the rav, perhaps it needs to be pushed off). But in the event that I do need to go, we've decided to stay in for this one meal. What are some ideas for salads/mains I can make that just need to be reheated? I'm a newlywed, and this is the first time I'll be making a Yom Tov meal.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:01 am
What will you be using to heat up the food? A hot plate/plata?

corolla

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:28 am
ra_mom wrote:
What will you be using to heat up the food? A hot plate/plata?

My mother always leaves 2 burners on for Yom Tov, so I think I will do the same. We've been eating at my parents for Shabbos, so don't have a plata/blech. This is the one meal we'll be having at home.

mommyhood

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:33 am
Shavuos night meals are so late I would just serve challah, salad and a hearty soup with meat or chicken.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:45 am
chbk29 wrote:
My mother always leaves 2 burners on for Yom Tov, so I think I will do the same. We've been eating at my parents for Shabbos, so don't have a plata/blech. This is the one meal we'll be having at home.

A small pot of sliced roast in liquid warms up pretty quickly. You can do roast beef or corned beef. Cool and slice before YT. Reheat before meal.
You can start with challah, dips, fish - all cold from the fridge.
Soup optional (small pot heats quickly too).
Serve hot slices roast with salad that's ready from the fridge like cole slaw, marinated salad or something similar that lasts a few days. If you don't want to reheat a side dish, you can serve ready chilled rice salad or potato salad or pasta salad.

baltomom

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:53 am
I don't know if it's worth leaving a flame (or 2) on for 3 days just for one meal. Anyhow, Shavuos night meals are so late I find people aren't terribly hungry. How about a cold meal: challah, dips, and a big salad with deli cubes or grilled chicken in it?

lkwdlady

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 10:00 am
You don’t need 2 burners on for one meal for just 2 people! You’re not cooking, only heating up...

Probably just need 1 flame so you can bentch Licht - you can put on a blech, it spreads the heat from the one flame and you can warm things up like that.

corolla

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 10:01 am
I like the deli salad ideas. Thanks!

Iymnok

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 10:03 am
You don’t need to leave a flame on. Keep 24 or 48 hour candles going, transfer the flame to the stove just after shkiya. Dh turns off the main for the stove so the electric igniter won’t go.
No need to keep the fires on for so long without use.
Or keep a kettle on the absolute lowest flame you have. Put a Blech to diffuse the heat if you need.

MGmom

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 10:49 am
I would put something into crockpot or small griddle to rewarm with a shabbos Timer and small price of meat w veggies or rice
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics