Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Hot items - toys for August / September

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:06 am
I am trying to do a little business from home selling toys.
If I order the stuff now it will arrive by mid/end August.

I'm kinda stumped in which direction to go.
What are the items that will sell in those months?

It will be end of summer so I'm thinking no more outdoor / gardening toys. (We are in NY)

What would you suggest. Thank you so much!

L25

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:09 am
just thinking out loud but if you are catering to the frum community I think people are starting to think about y"t and looking for toys their kids can play on all the upcoming yom tovim so having a nice selection that is shabbos/y"t friendly might be a good idea.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:15 am
Not necessarily catering to the frum community. we live in an area with very few frum families.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:21 am
Check what’s popular on amazon.

funmother

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:38 am
Can you do personalized backpacks? They do very well where I live, trendy keychain to hang from it -my dd saw one she liked it was $7. will do better than toys in this months.

Now-june is when I buy bubbles claydough, bikes rollerblades. Inn August/September it's back to school so I'm buying school supplies, backpacks, stickers. Some sites have a summer x-mas sale. Toy sales are getting earlier each year so October I start looking for the massive deals.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 12:00 pm
Educational toys and puzzles. Things that reinforce what the kids are learning in school, but that are fun. Alphabet puzzles. Reading games. Math games (my kids loved Pizza Fraction Fun).

You can also promote your business by hosting events that use the toys you sell. Board game tournaments, or beading afternoons. And, of course, sell the supplies/toys.

You need to create a niche market, things that people can't pick up on their next Target or Walmart run, or why would they bother coming to you.

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 12:36 pm
As a bubby who likes to bring pack-able toys and games and things that I could do with kids would like to suggest that you go to China and manufacture the following:

1)Paper dolls. It is hard to find paper dolls today although I loved them as a kid and played with them for hours. You could make ones that are frum and they would obviously have to be of little children.

2)Jewish themed sticker books. I see lots of Doug and Melissa sticker books and all kinds of secular sticker books and there are Jewish themed stickers but few Jewish themed sticker books. Jewish holiday sticker books would be nice before the Tishrei holidays.

3)Hebrew letter word building games.

4)Collectible sticker books. Basically each page would require stickers that are sold in packs separately so that people could buy and trade and the stickers could tell a story from Tanach so that people would keep buying until each page was full.

Have a good time in China. Let us know when you are ready to sell because I am a good customer.

Being the middle man for another company won't earn you as much as manufacturing your own, selling it in all ways, such as from your website, on Amazon, and marketing it to stores. Having a small business in your home won't get you as much. Think a bit bigger.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 1:13 pm
Making your own toys is a good idea. There are so many places to buy toys but they all sell the same few company's and toys.
I am looking for a big heavy baby doll. One that my toddler could carry around the house. That would stop her from trying to pick up her baby. I'm willing to pay up to 30 but I can't go find one under 100. And I don't need it to be that realistic or a collectable.
It should fit baby clothes, have eyes that open and clothes, be soft and heavy

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 1:38 pm
I am doing amazon/ebay too.

We have a few exclusive year round items that are selling pretty well.
But I need more ideas.
I was thinking of also doing locally so we need toys that will sell end of Agust / September.

We live in a very small jewish community and there isn't a market for judaica toys. there is a judaica / toy store a few towns over.
The farthest frum family in my community lives a 10 minutes drive, 35 minute walk uphill.... And the jewish community close by, where the judiaca / toy store is, is a 15 minute drive once you get on the freeway. So its not worth it.

We are not up to branding or manufacturing things yet but it is something that is in the near future.

SouthernBubby if I end up selling/manufacturing those things, I'll let you know.

SixOfWands I LOVE your idea! thank you so much.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 1:40 pm
amother wrote:
Making your own toys is a good idea. There are so many places to buy toys but they all sell the same few company's and toys.
I am looking for a big heavy baby doll. One that my toddler could carry around the house. That would stop her from trying to pick up her baby. I'm willing to pay up to 30 but I can't go find one under 100. And I don't need it to be that realistic or a collectable.
It should fit baby clothes, have eyes that open and clothes, be soft and heavy

Thanks! I'll look into it.
If I find something I'll keep you posted.

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 2:02 pm
amother wrote:
I am doing amazon/ebay too.

We have a few exclusive year round items that are selling pretty well.
But I need more ideas.
I was thinking of also doing locally so we need toys that will sell end of Agust / September.

We live in a very small jewish community and there isn't a market for judaica toys. there is a judaica / toy store a few towns over.
The farthest frum family in my community lives a 10 minutes drive, 35 minute walk uphill.... And the jewish community close by, where the judiaca / toy store is, is a 15 minute drive once you get on the freeway. So its not worth it.

We are not up to branding or manufacturing things yet but it is something that is in the near future.

SouthernBubby if I end up selling/manufacturing those things, I'll let you know.

SixOfWands I LOVE your idea! thank you so much.

Could you sell from a company called Fun and Function? They are a frum company but their toys are for special needs children and are not religiously based. They sell all kinds of therapy toys and people with special needs kids are always looking for them.

bestme

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 2:09 pm
School supplies and educational toys and educational pre-school books. Many people then buy "get ready for kindergarten" books that have the child color and cut the ABC and numbers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics