Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
I'm not a decorator!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:26 am
We just bought a house and will be moving in the summer iyh.
I would love love love to hire a decorator to make give me advice, because I really appreciate good taste. A decorator is just not in the budget for now. I'm not a lost cause, but I can't do the decorating without any advice!

I find websites like houzz to be hard to find practical advice. yes, everything looks so nice etc... but I need personalized advice.

HELP!!!!

amother
Olive

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:50 am
do you have any friends or family who have more of an eye for these kind of things?

das

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:59 am
If you can't afford it right now, you don't have to decorate. Nice fresh paint, temporary shades and decorate each room as you can afford it.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 12:00 pm
Some department and furniture stores offer decorating services. If you are buying new furniture, rugs, and window treatments, you can use their in-house decorators.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 12:04 pm
What do you need advice on
Paint?
Furniture?
Curtains?

There are some furniture stores and window treatment places that offer this service for free
when you buy.
Ask in the big box stores like Crate n Barrel.
You may need to take pictures of the room.
And make sure to measure accurately.

Sometimes decorator’s taste are comercial.
Things that everyone has.
I tend not to like what they pick.
I don’t exactly know what I like, but there are things that when I see it I fall in love with.
I speaking from experience of just going through this.
My contractor who is also a decorator brought me some tile samples. They were nice, but too common. I went out to look myself. I went to 20 different places. At the 21st Place I opened the door, didn’t even walk inside, and saw something I fell in love with.

The BIG items you’ll never change make sure you absolutely love love love it.
Paint color, curtains, bedding, can always be changed.

Another tip that I heard but never used, is to go through some magazines. Decorating and Regular. Cut out any picture that catches your eye. Even if it’s the color of fruit or shoes.
When you have a shoe box full start sorting. This way you get a sense of your style.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 12:10 pm
Some paint stores also have an in-house decorator.

But consider hiring a decorator for just a few hours to help you establish a color scheme and overall style. Do your homework first. Buy a notebook and some decorating magazines. Clip out pictures you like, tape or glue them into the notebook, and next to each picture write down what you like about it. And ask the decorator to bring paint fans.

cbg

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 12:31 pm
Also remember paint is not expensive.
If you don’t like after a while you can always change it yourself.

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 1:20 pm
If you live in Lakewood, PM me
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics