Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Blintzes in advance

corolla

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 10:36 am
When I make blintzes in advance and freeze them, either filled already or just the crepes, they always split on reheating. Thinking to make them for Shavuos. What is the best way to make sure they don't break? Am I making them too thick? Too thin? Any ideas? Recipes please?

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 10:52 am
I make my blintzes in advance and heat them in the oven on Shavuos. I serve them topped with strawberry sauce and sour cream. They come out delicious, and much easier to heat that way then to fry them, like my grandmother used to....this way they are handled less and don't split.

corolla

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:01 am
Chayalle wrote:
I make my blintzes in advance and heat them in the oven on Shavuos. I serve them topped with strawberry sauce and sour cream. They come out delicious, and much easier to heat that way then to fry them, like my grandmother used to....this way they are handled less and don't split.

Do you freeze them with the filling inside or just keep them in the fridge?

Teomima

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:19 am
Now you've got me nervous. I had never made blintzes in advance before, but I cooked up a batch yesterday and froze them. I did everything, made the crepes, filled them and fried them, then put them in a pan and froze them. My plan is to leave them in the pan, defrost then reheat in the oven. I hope they don't split!

bsy

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:22 am
We fill the blintzes and freeze. We spray them with Pam and bake them uncovered until browned before the meal.

corolla

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:25 am
Teomima wrote:
Now you've got me nervous. I had never made blintzes in advance before, but I cooked up a batch yesterday and froze them. I did everything, made the crepes, filled them and fried them, then put them in a pan and froze them. My plan is to leave them in the pan, defrost then reheat in the oven. I hope they don't split!

Do you plan to fry them? That's where I run into problems. I think that if you leave them the way they are, it might not happen?? Idk, just taking a wild guess.

Teomima

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:32 am
chbk29 wrote:
Do you plan to fry them? That's where I run into problems. I think that if you leave them the way they are, it might not happen?? Idk, just taking a wild guess.

I'm confused. Do you mean, did I plan to fry them in advance or before serving? I fried them when I made them, then put the fried, ready-to-eat blintzes into a pan, which I plan to heat up before serving. It never occurred to me that they might split (I know frozen plain crepes often split, likely from drying out, but it seems to me with all the fat from the filling and frying, these shouldn't have that problem).

corolla

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:37 am
Teomima wrote:
I'm confused. Do you mean, did I plan to fry them in advance or before serving? I fried them when I made them, then put the fried, ready-to-eat blintzes into a pan, which I plan to heat up before serving. It never occurred to me that they might split (I know frozen plain crepes often split, likely from drying out, but it seems to me with all the fat from the filling and frying, these shouldn't have that problem).

Ahhh ok. I thought you froze them the way they were and planned to fry them later. Let me know how it turns out!

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:50 am
chbk29 wrote:
Do you freeze them with the filling inside or just keep them in the fridge?

I freeze them filled, ready to defrost and bake.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 12:43 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I freeze them filled, ready to defrost and bake.

No frying necessary once filled?

bsy

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 12:46 pm
ra_mom wrote:
No frying necessary once filled?

Different poster, but we never fry them. Only bake.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 1:07 pm
bsy wrote:
Different poster, but we never fry them. Only bake.

I don't fry or bake. I make the crepes and fill and that's it. That's how the stores sell them too. The frying is an extra step. The people that fry serve their Blintzes hot. We like our Blintzes room temperature. So I just take them out of the freezer a day before, allow it to defrost in the fridge and take it out of the fridge the day of serving until mealtime. If it needs to be "freshened" up I'll warm it in the oven and let it cool down to room temperature before serving. That's how we like it.

sitting

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 1:10 pm
don't fry after freezing - it isnt even necessary. spray with oil and bake in a hot oven 15 min

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 1:44 pm
Thanks everyone!

anotherima

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 6:45 pm
Chayalle wrote:

Do you have a good recipe for strawberry sauce that you can share? I have a ton of strawberries. Thanks in advance.

erm

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:32 pm
I fill them and then freeze them. When needed, I fry them in butter.

sa613

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 12:54 am
Do the blintzes sprayed with oil and baked taste like fried blintzes???

bsy

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 6:49 am
sa613 wrote:
Do the blintzes sprayed with oil and baked taste like fried blintzes???

I don't know, because I never tasted fried blintzes.

mommyhood

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 9:28 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I don't fry or bake. I make the crepes and fill and that's it. That's how the stores sell them too. The frying is an extra step. The people that fry serve their Blintzes hot. We like our Blintzes room temperature. So I just take them out of the freezer a day before, allow it to defrost in the fridge and take it out of the fridge the day of serving until mealtime. If it needs to be "freshened" up I'll warm it in the oven and let it cool down to room temperature before serving. That's how we like it.

If your filling has raw eggs you should fry or bake them. The stores are likely using pasteurized eggs.

Fiveboyz

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 9:47 am
Can anyone share a recipe for filling that does not have cottage cheese ?
Thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes