Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Managing my credit cards

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:27 am
So we aren't in debt, and are doing pretty ok in terms of being able to pay our monthly bills.

I just don't feel like I have a handle on our credit cards. Perhaps there's an app that helps manage credit cards? For example, it would let me know how much I need to have available for a certain date, how I can divide my balance, but not let it stretch to the point of racking up interest...

Any ideas/methods that Imas can share in being on top of your credit cards?

rgr

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:43 am
I think mint.com does this

doctorima

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:45 am
Why do you spread your spending over so many cards that it's hard to keep track of them all? For me, the only reason to do so would be if you're playing the points game and need to meet lots of sign-up bonuses. Otherwise, I would try to keep all your spending on one, or maximum 2, cards, which should be easier to keep track of and also will make it clear just how much you're spending and where the money is going.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:47 am
rgr wrote:
I think mint.com does this

Thanks. I'll check that out.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:49 am
doctorima wrote:
Why do you spread your spending over so many cards that it's hard to keep track of them all? For me, the only reason to do so would be if you're playing the points game and need to meet lots of sign-up bonuses. Otherwise, I would try to keep all your spending on one, or maximum 2, cards, which should be easier to keep track of and also will make it clear just how much you're spending and where the money is going.

It's not so spread out.
I actually only use 2 cards. It's just that I don't feel I have a handle on it. The statement comes. I just need something to make it clearer in my mind.

fbmommy

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 1:24 pm
What about the cc website or app? they have become much more user friendly, and if you check every few days you can see your updated balance and your due date and all of that. By the time your statement comes it is a few weeks after all the spending.

doctorima

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 2:46 pm
With only 2 cards, you can sign up to receive emails when your statement posts, 10 days before payment is due, and confirmation that it went through. You can also sign up for auto-pay if that will help you avoid forgetting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics