Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bathroom in kitchen or dining room
1  2  Next

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 2:54 pm
We’re buying a house that needs a bathroom on the main floor. We have two options- in the kitchen or dining room. My dh wants it in the kitchen which is in the back of the house. I’m not sure either way- I feel like the dining room is an awkward place, like to hear people using it while eating a shabbos meal etc. Otoh, I don’t want the kitchen to smell and it also means any guests using it have to walk through the kitchen to use it. So which one makes more sense?

Orchid

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 3:04 pm
amother wrote:
We’re buying a house that needs a bathroom on the main floor. We have two options- in the kitchen or dining room. My dh wants it in the kitchen which is in the back of the house. I’m not sure either way- I feel like the dining room is an awkward place, like to hear people using it while eating a shabbos meal etc. Otoh, I don’t want the kitchen to smell and it also means any guests using it have to walk through the kitchen to use it. So which one makes more sense?

I vote kitchen. DR is exceedingly awkward if guest uses it in middle of meal. Even if I don't want them traipsing through my kitchen...clear lesser of 2 evils in my book.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 3:08 pm
Kitchen. The kitchen shouldn't smell if you have proper ventilation. Best if you can place the powder room where there is a sliver of hallway between it and the kitchen.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 3:11 pm
Kitchen. This is by far the most "normal" of the two choices. Many first-floor bathrooms are in/near the kitchen. It won't smell if you clean regularly. The dining room is far too public and awkward.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 3:22 pm
amother wrote:
Kitchen. This is by far the most "normal" of the two choices. Many first-floor bathrooms are in/near the kitchen. It won't smell if you clean regularly. The dining room is far too public and awkward.

We have a bathroom near the kitchen. It is cleaned 3 times a week. We have a special exhaust that runs 24 hrs. You can boast it when you go to the toilet. Obviously, this isn't good on shabbos/ yontiff. We have a special toilet that the fumes are supposed to go down. I burn a candle when we have company. It still was not nice when certain guests used it.

We split the bathroom in two to have two compartments which solved the problem.

penguin

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:00 pm
Someone I know has a double door in DR, I think to avoid brochos problems but I don't think it takes care of sound.

I would ask a really good creative space planner to see if there's any other option. Under steps, for example?

If you can upload a sketch someone here may have an idea.

pause

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:03 pm
For sure kitchen. That's where people are. It's more accessible. I'd rather not have both I and the kids traipsing through the dining room all week whenever we need the bathroom during the day.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:06 pm
pause wrote:
For sure kitchen. That's where people are. It's more accessible. I'd rather not have both I and the kids traipsing through the dining room all week whenever we need the bathroom during the day.

In this house, you have to walk through the whole first floor including dining room to get to the kitchen/bathroom.

maze

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:09 pm
I vote for kitchen too.

pause

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:12 pm
amother wrote:
In this house, you have to walk through the whole first floor including dining room to get to the kitchen/bathroom.

I hear that. But most of the time when people use the bathroom, they are already IN your home. Where will they be? In my house, we're mostly in the kitchen.

If you're thinking about guests, they're also not walking in the front door in order to use the bathroom. They are in you house. Where are they? Think where most of the action will be and place the bathroom easily accessible.

amother
Black

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:58 pm
I have a bathroom off the dining room. and its far enough that its not right in the dining room. and I have guests by me all the time. I also have a guest room right off my dining room. and honestly my in laws love it cause its all ground floor and no steps. the dr is right near the bathroom. and no its was not at all uncomfortable. its also used alot during the week cause its the only one on the main floor and noone wants to go upstairs. though I do alot anyway. f

it all depends on how the house is laid out. a good planner can do a great job. it can be right off the dinning room but still on the first floor. if you have a choice. I dont know if I want a bathroom in my kitchen. but then again a good planner can help you with it.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 5:02 pm
amother wrote:

Neither.

I really really don't want people pooping in my kitchen, even if it is a separate, enclosed restroom in my kitchen.

And I'm not really all that enthusiastic about it in my dining room.

Can it be placed elsewhere, OFF the dining room but not in it.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 5:40 pm
Is there a closet off the dining room that can be converted to a small half bathroom (water closet)?

isrmss91

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 5:48 pm
wow, just had the same dilemma. I had option to put a bathroom near the dining room or in the kitchen. I opted for the kitchen, as I think it would be uncomfortable for my family or guests, to be seen walking to the the bathroom, from the dining room where all can see where they are headed.
I vote for the kitchen. I hope to have the bathroom located right before the kitchen. If someone was headed to the kitchen it could be assumed they may be going to the Kitchen. It would not be ackward.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 6:47 pm
amother wrote:

Family prior to yours managed without one.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 6:53 pm
amother wrote:

They had one but we have to relocate it. Aside for that, I certainly don’t want guests going to my bedroom floor every time they need a bathroom.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 6:54 pm
amother wrote:

Try telling that to a few family members that need the bathroom at the same time!

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 6:59 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Is there a closet off the dining room that can be converted to a small half bathroom (water closet)?

The main floor is just living room, dining room and kitchen. Living room and dining room are one long room. There’s no other place to put it that would make sense but based on the responses here, I’m leaning toward kitchen.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 7:00 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Neither.

I really really don't want people pooping in my kitchen, even if it is a separate, enclosed restroom in my kitchen.

And I'm not really all that enthusiastic about it in my dining room.

Can it be placed elsewhere, OFF the dining room but not in it.

Feel the same way but there’s no other place unfortunately.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 7:05 pm
amother wrote:
Feel the same way but there’s no other place unfortunately.

Basement?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics