Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
How much for a 9x13 of the following

bargainlover

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 3:21 pm
I just volunteered to make some local needy families salt and pepper kugel and grilled veggies. I have to make a 9x13 of each and for 3 families. How many bags of lukshen will I need? How many zucchini , onion, and peppers? I am not used to cooking sucheck big amounts.

srbmom

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 3:35 pm
I usually use one bag of lukshen per 9x13 pan.
(Not sure on the veggies)

Tiredmom7

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 3:40 pm
The vegetables shrink a bit when cooking. So what looks like a lot raw can be much less cooked. I’d say at least three large zucchini per pan

bargainlover

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 3:52 pm
Thanks so much!! Any good recipes for salt and pepper kugel?

Reality

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:00 pm
Check the size of the bag of lukshen. Some are less than 16 oz. If it is it will look very empty in the pan. I would use 1 and a half to 2 packages per pan

Reality

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:03 pm
Salt and pepper lukshen Kugel recipe:

1 1/2 bags lukshen
4 eggs
1 T salt
Pepper to taste
1 large onion
1 T oil

Saute onion in oil.

Boil noodles. Place noodles in pre-greased pan. Add eggs salt and pepper. Mix in onion. Bake on 350 til top is crispy

Reality

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:07 pm
For your vegis are you using large or small zucchini? I would use 1 large onion, 4 to 6 small zucchini or 3 large and 2 peppers. Personally I would add 2 carrots as well for color and flavor.

Bluesky 1

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:19 pm
I just made grilled veggies for supper. I used 4 bell peppers and a huge bunch of green beans. I would definitely add 3/4 more peppers and zucchini. the yellow zucchini is yum when grilled.

I use the balabustas choice #2 recipe from the veggies section. its yum and easy. I also used a 9x13 pan and I could easily add 3-4 more peppers. I made large chunks. its easy and delish.

I would also put in green beans and zucchini.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:26 pm
For vegetables, I do 1 small/medium zucchini, 1 yellow squash, 1 box mushrooms, 1 red onion, 12 baby carrots, handful grape tomatoes - can fit in a 9x13 pan.

Reality

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:37 pm
Ra mom, you serve that amount for your family and its enough?

srbmom

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:38 pm
Quote:
Check the size of the bag of lukshen. Some are less than 16 oz. If it is it will look very empty in the pan. I would use 1 and a half to 2 packages per pan

I use a 12oz bag and it fills up the pan fine

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:43 pm
bargainlover, I just realized you want to fill up a 9x13 pan with roasted vegetables to deliver, not roast the vegetables in a 9x13 pan.
Roasted vegetables have to be spread out so if I'm roasting in a 9x13, the above amount fits in one layer without overlapping.

If you want to roast lots of veggies on many cookie sheets spread out, and then fill up 3 9x13 pans full of vegetables, I'd say halve this recipe that OOTBubby posted.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....30571

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:43 pm
Reality wrote:
Ra mom, you serve that amount for your family and its enough?

Serves 4.

Reality

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:45 pm
Really? I stopped making lukshen Kugel in a 9 x 13 pan cuz it looked too flat and empty. Instead I switched to a loaf pan and got very pretty tall slices. The 12 oz bags fill a large loaf pan which is half the size of a 9 x 13

Reality

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:46 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Serves 4.

Got it. My family is 6 ppl and we eat our veggies! I

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:50 pm
Reality wrote:
Got it. My family is 6 ppl and we eat our veggies! I

As do we Smile But we usually serve this as a main dish and each plate is filled with chicken, baby red potatoes and the vegetables.

bargainlover

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:58 pm
Thank you so much for all your help! Now off to shop Smile

Bluesky 1

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:58 pm
ra_mom wrote:
bargainlover, I just realized you want to fill up a 9x13 pan with roasted vegetables to deliver, not roast the vegetables in a 9x13 pan.
Roasted vegetables have to be spread out so if I'm roasting in a 9x13, the above amount fits in one layer without overlapping.

If you want to roast lots of veggies on many cookie sheets spread out, and then fill up 3 9x13 pans full of vegetables, I'd say halve this recipe that OOTBubby posted.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....30571

if you broil it like I do, you dont need to put on single layer in cookie sheet. just put all veggies in a 9x13 pour the sauce ontop and broil on hi, for say about 10 min then mix and another 5 minutes, voila you have it all ready. let it cool. and cover and send as is. no need to change pans or containers. I promise I do this all the time. im even making this for yom tov as a side dish cause of all the heavy food.

bargainlover

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 6:29 pm
Bluesky 1 wrote:
if you broil it like I do, you dont need to put on single layer in cookie sheet. just put all veggies in a 9x13 pour the sauce ontop and broil on hi, for say about 10 min then mix and another 5 minutes, voila you have it all ready. let it cool. and cover and send as is. no need to change pans or containers. I promise I do this all the time. im even making this for yom tov as a side dis cause of all the heavy food.

Amazing! Thanks for the tip!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes