Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Custard recipe anyone?

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 10:54 am
I saw containers of custard cream being sold in stores.
Anyone have a tried and true recipe that comes out good?
I’m having a guest who I know loves custard so I want to make something for her

advocate

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:11 pm
I love custard!

3 eggs
1/2 c sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups scalded milk
1 tsp vanilla

Cinnamon and Nutmeg

I know the recipe says scalded milk, and I used to do that, but now I just mix everything together and bring it to a simmer. Pour into individual oven-safe cups (you can even use cupcakes papers in a pinch!) Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Place in a larger baking pan, a 9x13 or whatever you want. Place that in the oven. Then pour water around them, about halfway up. Then bake them at 250 for about 45 minutes. They will still be somewhat jiggly! If you do not have a milchig oven, don't worry! You can cook them on the stovetop, in the water bath, loosely covered. They will be slightly paler in appearance, but just as delicious! What a nice friend you are! Good shabbos, good yom tov!

advocate

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:16 pm
Wait a minute! I just reread your question. Did you want to make pastry cream, like to go inside an eclair? Milchig or parve?

From Fannie Farmer baking book
1 c milk
1/4 c sugar
3 T flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 t vanilla
2 T butter

Scald the milk. Combine dry ingredients, and then slowly whisk in the milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and becomes very thick and smooth. Remove from heat, and mix in the eggs. Cook for one more minutes, stirring constantly. Cool slightly and add vanilla and butter. I have used almond milk as a substitute.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:26 pm
Thank you so much for responding!

The recipes sound scrumptious!

I wanted to know what people would do with store bought custard cream in containers? Surely they’re not eating it out of the container!
Is there a recipe for a cake or cheesecake that gets covered in custard? I never baked with custard before and trying to figure out how to use it in a recipe. Is it similar to vanilla pudding?

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:36 pm
amother wrote:

I wanted to know what people would do with store bought custard cream in containers? Surely they’re not eating it out of the container!
?

Why not? That's what I used to do with the store bought custard. I ate it straight from the container.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:37 pm
amother wrote:
Why not? That's what I used to do with the store bought custard. I ate it straight from the container.

Oh, my!!!!!

advocate

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:38 pm
Yes, bake a layer cake, put the cream inside, cover with chocolate glaze. OR, cut puffed pastry into small rectangles, bake, then layer with cream and fruit. OR make mini pie crusts, fill with chilled cream, top with fruit - blueberries, mangos, kiwis, etc. More ambitious bakers would make eclairs!

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 5:59 pm
Thank you advocate!

I have puff pastry squares. You’re saying I should cut them in half and bake (no egg wash?) and then layer with custard?

The pie crust idea is with a frozen pie crust or a graham cracker pie crust?

advocate

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 6:27 pm
First CORRECTION! Bake custard at 350.

Re pie crusts, either regular or graham cracker can work!

Re puff pastry, different brands are different shapes and sizes, so cut as you see fit. Bake, cool, then layer with cream. You could make a vanilla or swirled glaze on top, to be a Napoleon.

zrfm

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:15 am
Hi,

im looking for a parve custard recipe that tatse like store bought bakers choice...anyone
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics