Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Going door-to-door
1  2  Next

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:31 pm
Has anyone gone door to door in a neighborhood they're interested in asking people if they're interested in selling their house?
There is one specific area (like 2 or 3 blocks) where I'm very very interested in. Only problem is it seems like houses get snatched up very quickly and you have to have "ins" with the realtors (which we don't). Would it be totally weird to go knocking? Does anyone actually do this?

Kumphort

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:37 pm
Some places have laws against that.
I would think people would be upset if you would do that to them. What people in my neighborhood have done is hang up flyers or leave notices in peoples mail boxes

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:39 pm
People do it and it's not nice. Especially when it's Jews trying to buy out the non Jewish homes. It's a huge chilul HaShem. It sends the non Jewish people a message that the Jews want to "take over".

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:40 pm
Why don't you just get an in with the realtors? People really, really dislike this. And when you look obviously frum it's not a good situation.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:47 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
People do it and it's not nice. Especially when it's Jews trying to buy out the non Jewish homes. It's a huge chilul HaShem. It sends the non Jewish people a message that the Jews want to "take over".

Oh I didn't even think of that.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:48 pm
amother wrote:
Why don't you just get an in with the realtors? People really, really dislike this. And when you look obviously frum it's not a good situation.

But how do you do this when the realtors expect you to only pick ONE realtor to work with? Or does no one really do that?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:49 pm
Thanks guys. Glad I asked here before doing something that would bother people so much Smile I guess we'll just hope and pray something comes up soon...

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 10:32 pm
It could depend where. I know in Cleveland people do it.

shanie5

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:54 pm
I know someone who knocked on a door and asked the woman if she knew anyone whomight be looking to sell their house on that block. This woman happened to be planning to move within the next couple years, and was happy to find a buyer without having to look. This is OOT.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 12:22 am
Up here in Monsey the non-Jewish community is very angry about the Yidden that knock on their doors. And they should be. People are knocking day and night.

When I was considering moving I asked my realtor (and yes, I only had one realtor! That is how you get best service and establish trust...) for phone numbers of other frum families in the area that might be okay to speak to me. She gave me two or three.

After calling the first one though, I chickened out and stopped. The first one thought it was weird, my asking about community friendliness. She probably thought she might get stuck with an unhealthy person who was desperate for friendship...

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 4:57 pm
OP what area r u looking at?
and yes you need to stick to one broker- what is the problem with that? I found it easier

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 5:06 pm
amother wrote:
OP what area r u looking at?
and yes you need to stick to one broker- what is the problem with that? I found it easier

I'm not the OP, but the problem with that is in neighborhoods where places sell before they ever get listed.
For example, our realtor got us a house before it was listed. It was a neighbor a few doors down who she knew pretty well and knew wanted to move soon. She knew I would love the house and a match was made. Nobody else even came to see the house but us. Had I been working with any other realtor, no matter how good, I never would have ended up in this house that I love so much.
So, though I realize it's the norm to find and stick to one realtor - and I'm sure this is the proper ethical thing to do - you tend to lose out by not tapping into every source.

OP, I have a friend who leaves very nice notes in people's mailboxes, letting them know she is looking to buy and should they happen to be interested or know someone who is to contact her. She is very polite - and by leaving a letter vs. a knock at the door it's less intrusive and pushy. I suppose some people might still find it weird or offensive, but I suspect most people wouldn't be bothered by it.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 6:15 pm
no dont leave notes or knock. I would not like it and im jewish. so no dont do it. my neighbors that are non jewish are complaining terribly. its causing a lot of trouble. its in lakewood. dont do it. you can look up on zillow whats available or call a broker.

if you could find anyone jewish on the block and ask them if they know anyone that is interested in selling. that might work. I would ask someone jewish. or just ask a broker. that works in the neighborhood.

Boca00

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 7:55 pm
It's also illegal to leave notes in people's mailboxes.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 7:58 pm
Boca00 wrote:
It's also illegal to leave notes in people's mailboxes.

I believe so too. Recently in our town there was a town board meeting where the non Jewish people were upset that they had noticed put inside their mailbox that their street would be blocked off due to a hachnasas Sefer Torah and they were livid that someone illegally touched opened their mailbox.

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 4:51 am
thunderstorm wrote:

LOL what?
Maybe in your country...

Anyway I wouldn't bother and would promise some money to a janitor for a finding

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 6:29 am
We found our house because friends put notes by people's houses. Someone contacted them, wasn't the right house for them but they connected us to the owners. Given the market, we wouldn't have gotten what we did for the price we did if not for the fact that we got it before it went on the market. The owners didn't mind at all and even saved themselves a bit because they didn't need to pay any realtor- we did.

That being said, I do think it depends on your location. We live OOT. Someone we know in Monsey (Jewish) is so beyond disgusted with the amount of people knocking/leaving notes to buy her house because it's constant, day and night. If you're in a community where it's probably being done by many others, I wouldn't go that route.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 3:21 pm
I'm the OP. I'm in Baltimore. The houses that make it to zillow are often ones that aren't easily sold right away. I think you need an "in" with the realtors who are SELLING the houses because I think the majority of ones that end up getting posted on zillow or shown by other realtors are ones that wouldn't get snatched up right away. I've been talking with others and they feel the same way. I haven't brought up going door-to-door though. I hear what you guys are saying about it not being nice and I agree. I've decided against it. I don't agree with the whole using one realtor thing being in your best interest. It makes more sense that you can use more than one and then they're be even more likely to try to find you something if they know they have competition. Otherwise if they know you're only relying on them then they can take their time. Am I wrong about this? (I'm not talking about legalities, I'm talking what makes more sense).
But if that's what is the "right" thing to do then I'll do it. I just don't think it makes sense when it's so important to have connections with the right people for it to be more likely that you'll get a house.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 4:17 pm
I would suggest you speak to the FRUM neighbors where you want to move, not by knocking on doors but by going to the local park, shul whatever.... Where I used to live sometimes people would tell their frum neighbors they were looking to sell and then the neighbors would find friends who were interested in buy. This is how it was often done in my neighborhood that was "turning" frum.

Batyah85

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 4:25 pm
Why don’t u go with one of the popular realtors in Baltimore? Many know of houses before they hit the market. I know one awesome realtor in particular who doesn’t advertise but who is really good at finding houses for buyers pm me if ur interested in some names.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating