Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
S/O - Shavuos menu
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Mint

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 4:05 am
I plan to make a lot on yt. I actually find that more relaxing bec I don’t have a lot of little kids, and this way I’m not making myself crazy before yt when there is always so much else to do. Once yt comes, the days are so long and I make what I’m in the mood of (obv off a pre planned menu that I shopped for). I’m also buying a lot and putting it together nicely - think meat board, cheese board, fish platter, etc. I usually put up a big pot of quinoa and mix in whatever I’m in the mood of over yt. Salads are made before the meal. Got desserts at a bake sale. I’m not making all the meals. I prefer to have a nice table and buy a lot as opposed to making tons of food and just putting it out on the table haphazardly. I’m not saying it has to be one or the other, but that’s what works for me.

And yes I’m going anonymous for this even though I am a frequent poster and this is a recipe thread, but I’ve shared my menu with too many people!

Mommyg8

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 8:31 am
crust wrote:
Thanks Gd for tradition.
I make the same simple things for every seuda

fish baked in the oven
chicken soup (heard o that?)
meats
ONE sauce for all of YT frozen weeks before
challah
fresh salads
apple strawberry compote frozen
I make a big kokosh dough, divide it and put it in the freezer. I will take out a few of them erev yom tov and have fresh cake.

If I will be I the mood I will bake milchigs. If not I will buy. (Gasp)

I understand you OP because when I see the names of food listed in the menus here my head starts to spin.

Is a pity you dont know me because I promise you would feel like a geshikt balabusta next to me.

Thank you for posting this, you are making me feel so much better!

We are having gefilte fish and salmon for all three night seudas. Chicken soup for all three night seudas. And I will probably serve some version of boiled potatoes at the day meals. We all like this, and everyone will eat it, so why change?

(But we don't have kokosh cake Sad ).

Can you tell me how to make apple strawberry compote? It sounds good.

boysrus

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 8:43 am
Mommyg8 wrote:

We are having gefilte fish and salmon for all three night seudas. Chicken soup for all three night seudas. And I will probably serve some version of boiled potatoes at the day meals. We all like this, and everyone will eat it, so why change?

I dont know if this is the same thing as the poster who you quoted makes, but I call it 'homemade strawberry applesacue', and take a great shortcut Smile

Open a 22oz jar of applesauce, pour in 1lb strwberries (can be frozen if you want, but better fresh or at least defrosted). Blend with handblender - its everyones favorite!

Mommyg8

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 8:51 am
boysrus wrote:
I dont know if this is the same thing as the poster who you quoted makes, but I call it 'homemade strawberry applesacue', and take a great shortcut Smile

Open a 22oz jar of applesauce, pour in 1lb strwberries (can be frozen if you want, but better fresh or at least defrosted). Blend with handblender - its everyones favorite!

Thanks! Do you add sugar?

crust

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 9:09 am
Mommyg8 wrote:

I put let's say 25 Cortland apples in a 16 qt pot, fill it with water and I let it cool. When it is not hot anymore I put in diced strawberries. Strawberries cook in seconds and then the color fades so I am careful not to add it while the compote is still hot.

I add sugar while it is still cooking and I taste. I dont have an exact amount because the sweetness of the apple varies.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 9:10 am
crust wrote:
Thanks Gd for tradition.
I make the same simple things for every seuda

fish baked in the oven
chicken soup (heard o that?)
meats
ONE sauce for all of YT frozen weeks before
challah
fresh salads
apple strawberry compote frozen
I make a big kokosh dough, divide it and put it in the freezer. I will take out a few of them erev yom tov and have fresh cake.

If I will be I the mood I will bake milchigs. If not I will buy. (Gasp)

I understand you OP because when I see the names of food listed in the menus here my head starts to spin.

Is a pity you dont know me because I promise you would feel like a geshikt balabusta next to me.

Same here! doing traditional.
putting up big chicken soup & turkey goulash (we don't eat meat).
tomorrow will do the regular shabbos stuff- fish, farfel & potato kugel for main course. if I have time a lukshen kugel. then of course eggs & chulent for shabbos. maybe a potato salad (so I can have more carbs!)
Y'T day seudos not eating home. but will be serving same things all 3 nights. DH & myself not big eaters @ meal & my kids will hopefully sleep. (preschool & younger. get kuku if theyre up late & ch'v will never take a nap Sad) they'll eat chicken, kugel & soup before.
Challah will buy.
taking things very easy as we had a crazy few weeks here...
Crust, I'm coming for kokosh cake LOL

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jun 10 2018, 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Mommyg8

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 9:15 am
crust wrote:
I put let's say 25 Cortland apples in a 16 qt pot, fill it with water and I let it cool. When it is not hot anymore I put in diced strawberries. Strawberries cook in seconds and then the color fades so I am careful not to add it while the compote is still hot.

I add sugar while it is still cooking and I taste. I dont have an exact amount because the sweetness of the apple varies.

Thank you so much! I have some apples in the house, so I think I will put this up right now!

crust

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 9:40 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Thank you so much! I have some apples in the house, so I think I will put this up right now!

I see I forgot to write that I cook it. Smile

saw50st8

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 9:54 am
amother wrote:
I am sitting here reading all your Shavuos menus and literally feel like crying. When do you have time to cook all this? And clean up?
I am a big proponent of cooking ahead and freezing, but there is still only so much I can do. And lots of these things sound like food you can't even prep much ahead.
I usually make no starter, one main, one starchy side and one veggie side per meal and then reuse leftovers for at least another meal. After reading that thread I feel like such a bad mother/wife
Do you not work, not have kids...? Am I missing something here?

I just planned my menu and placed my grocery order today. I keep things very simple. One meal we are doing a potluck.

boysrus

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 9:56 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Thanks! Do you add sugar?

not usually. but you can use sweetened applesauce if you want.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 12:24 pm
crust wrote:
I see I forgot to write that I cook it. Smile

Very Happy

allthingsblue

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 12:31 pm
I also make the apples with strawberries. I don't add sugar; the longer you cook the apples, the sweeter they get.
I also make it with Pears.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 12:46 pm
amother wrote:
I work and have kids bh, so my only time to do anything is Sundays and nights. Really only ends up being nights after 8pm. So I do one or two things now at night. Clean up same night and leave dishes to dry overnight. Pretty much everything I am making is easy and freezeable. Examples:
Stuffed chicken
Shnitzel
Corned beef
Lukshen kugel
Apple kugel
Potato kugel
Challah
Brownies with store bought ice cream
Lasagna
Salmon will bake fresh but use bought marinade
Lots of salads, will make dressing a few days before
Soup made and froze

Let me know if I can help with any recipes or tips!!

How do you make corned beef?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics