Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How normal is it to hate your job?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:09 pm
Hate my job but have good salary, decent hours, great health benefits and penchant. Feel like I’m waisting my life away by doing something I hate. But I have a degree and don’t have any other talents or skills that can bring in this kind of income. If your wondering why I chose a field I hate- I didn’t realize I hated it until I started working. I feel so lost Sad

amother
Copper

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:17 pm
amother wrote:
Hate my job but have good salary, decent hours, great health benefits and penchant. Feel like I’m waisting my life away by doing something I hate. But I have a degree and don’t have any other talents or skills that can bring in this kind of income. If your wondering why I chose a field I hate- I didn’t realize I hated it until I started working. I feel so lost Sad

I could have written the same post. In my case I spent so many many years in school and so much money, and so many loans, it's like I have another mortgage. I hate it, wish I had never done it, but I don't know what to do. And I was the same way-I didn't realize I would hate it till I was working. I'm trapped with no escape.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:22 pm
Same here. Except the pay/benefits didn’t quite end up being what I expected it to be.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:23 pm
Thanks so much for responding. Feel same way. Schooling was so expensive. How long are you working? What should we do now???

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:33 pm
I find that people that went to school have a harder time with this. Because they already invested so much they can't just give up a miserable job and it's benefits. Whereas a person that didn't go to school have an easier time taking the leap and finding a different field etc.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:37 pm
I'm in same boat. I hate my job,feel unfulfilled, feel like a slave, get criticized for things I can't control. My job would make anyone feel like a failure but while the hours are long, I get good benefits and pay. I can't leave BC we need this second income. I feel like my job is killing my will to live BC I've worked many yrs in this job and it gets worse every year.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:38 pm
Same here! I am trying to learn new skills to help me break into a new field but I am struggling to find something that I can start back at the bottom and make a decent salary (I can't afford to take a huge pay cut with my growing family!) I'm trying to find a career that utilizes my 10+ years of finance experience and new skills (computer programming and database management). I am just so burnt out from my current job. I just want a normal 40 hr work week where I can go home and not think about work! ...and not mind numbingly boring.. which what I currently get in my field.. crazy intense or extremely boring...boo!

amother
Denim

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:40 pm
amother wrote:
I'm in same boat. I hate my job,feel unfulfilled, feel like a slave, get criticized for things I can't control. My job would make anyone feel like a failure but while the hours are long, I get good benefits and pay. I can't leave BC we need this second income. I feel like my job is killing my will to live BC I've worked many yrs in this job and it gets worse every year.

I'm so sorry! I totally feel your pain! Sad

crust

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 5:33 pm
You are not alone.
70% of the people hate their jobs!

https://medium.com/personal-gr.....c05d7

ssspectacular

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 5:39 pm
I do not agree with this article, Crust.
It's wrong to expect every job to be "loveable." And there is the issue of burnout, which is very real.

simba

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 5:43 pm
I love my job! I don't have a degree so if burnout hits I can swiftly re-adapt without much pain.

Laiya

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 7:08 pm
OP I get you. The best advice I read came from James Altucher.

He says that every day, you should make a list of ten ideas; things that interest you. And if you can't think of ten, then make it twenty.

The idea is to get yourself into the habit of creative thinking and idea-generating. Because burn-out tends to kill creativity.

Eventually, you'll find that certain types of ideas make you feel happy and optimistic. The more you do this exercise, the more the ideas will come, and soon you should have some clarity.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 8:36 pm
simba wrote:
I love my job! I don't have a degree so if burnout hits I can swiftly re-adapt without much pain.

This is the same for me. I've worked in a few different fields already and always felt very fulfilled and appreciated by my employers. But if it got too stressful and I started becoming negative about it, I just let people know that I was open to new jobs. All my jobs thusfar in the last 18 yrs were offered to me. I never had to go job hunting. I'm happy where I am now. I got this job a day after I left my other one. I think if I'd have that schooling I'd feel stuck.
I have a dream of becoming a nurse but have that fear of working so hard to earn he position and getting burnt out and feeling stuck , so I still didn't pursue it but it's in my dream list.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 10:05 pm
As someone said, why should you be stuck your whole life with the decision of a 19 year old (your younger self)?

I've heard this:
Make one list of your talents, things you're good at.
Make another list of things that make you excited, that you enjoy.
I think there's a third element (maybe experience but maybe not. Anyone heard this and can fill it in?)- Thanks Daagah Minayin!
She says the third one is where you are most needed. Or maybe where you can fill a need?

Find the intersection of those lists.

Then look into some training or schooling you can do part time - even if it takes a few years to qualify.

(My job is okay but... I started trying to train for what I always really wanted to do when all my kids were married. Unfortunately, I think I left it too late. Too many health issues to really pursue it...maybe in my next life...)

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 10:57 pm
I'm an OT.
After trying work in every setting, in every type of position, I was done. I just realized that I don't like it.
I drains me instead of filling me up.

Then last year I discovered this whole new world of craniosacral therapy and energy work. It's my talent. I've helped so many people in very real ways. I get filled from it. I love it.

The part I really love is that now I can do what I love, and my degree actually is a plus in my field.

Please keep looking. Don't give up!

daagahminayin

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:29 pm
amother wrote:

I've heard this:
Make one list of your talents, things you're good at.
Make another list of things that make you excited, that you enjoy.
I think there's a third element (maybe experience but maybe not. Anyone heard this and can fill it in?)

Third element is where are you most needed (heard from Rebbetzin Heller).

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 12:42 am
Bravo Emerald!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 6:30 pm
amother wrote:
I'm an OT.
After trying work in every setting, in every type of position, I was done. I just realized that I don't like it.
I drains me instead of filling me up.

Then last year I discovered this whole new world of craniosacral therapy and energy work. It's my talent. I've helped so many people in very real ways. I get filled from it. I love it.

The part I really love is that now I can do what I love, and my degree actually is a plus in my field.

Please keep looking. Don't give up!

What craniosacral therapy if you don’t mind measking,

saw50st8

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 7:03 am
It's totally normal.

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 7:17 am
Many people do their job for pay, perk, not having a hole in their CV, or because they don't find anything else/theyhave to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics