Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Questions about Finkelstein Library

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 8:43 am
Hi,
I heard that Finkelstein Library has a wide variety of Jewish books for kids. I was wondering the following:
1. Do they print the library name on the pages, so that when you're reading it on shabbos, you're separating the words?
2. Are there any schools in Monsey that would forbade the kids reading books from there? I would take out the books for them, and would not take the kids along....
3. Anything else I should know...?

Thanks!

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 8:57 am
Also, what's the max amount of books one can borrow?

SesameSeeds

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 9:12 am
They stopped printing the name on the side a long time ago. Maybe some very old books still have it on the side.

Really don't know about schools...

I think they let you take an unlimited amount of books but I could be wrong. I never reached the limit so not sure.

little neshamala

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 9:12 am
It depends if yourr a finkelstein cardholder or not. If you are I believe its 50 per card.
Not sure about library name on the pages, sorry.
I have no idea about what school might not allow...monsey is huge with a very diverse crowd and a billion schools.
Do you live here? If so, why dont you look at your school policy?

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 9:15 am
I live in Monsey. I'm scared to ask the school.... Don't know their policy... Thanks for the info!

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 9:26 am
One school I send my kids to don't allow going to the non Jewish library. The other one does. I go every week myself and pick out books for them.
I take out secular books for them as well as long as I've read them and know that it's appropriate .
There are adult Jewish books on the second floor (pretty large selection, which my kids above age 10 prefer) and children's in the children's section, but they are usually not checked in that often. People put the books on hold weeks in advance and when it's available they get notified to pick it up.
Also, it's 40 books per card. But if our kids have their own cards they have to be the ones checking out which means they have to come with you. Otherwise just check them out on your own card or your husband needs to check them out himself on his card.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 10:07 am
amother wrote:
I live in Monsey. I'm scared to ask the school.... Don't know their policy... Thanks for the info!

There is NOONE in your school that you can approach to ask this question? Maybe ask other parents.
You may also want to check out bais tefillah which has only Jewish books so your children can pick out their own books.
I learned a long time ago that opening a book with letters on the side is not a problem but I would ask my rov again to make sure.
Hatzlocha.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries