Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
ISO nonfiction/inspiration from a Jewish bookstore

rosey

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 8:25 am
I have a gift certificate for a local Jewish bookstore.
I am interested in something for Shavous, maybe with divrei Torah, or something inspirational, although I love biographies/historical books.
Anything you loved that you can suggest?
Thanks and Chag Sameach!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 10:57 am
Biographies:
Rav Belsky
From Djerba to Jerusalem
Encounters with Greatness (R Nachman Seltzer writing along the lines of At His Rebbi's side, which I also thought was great; this time with Rabbi Daniel Travis)

Zera Shimshon by R Nachman Seltzer. I haven't read it yet but opened up to one story, which moved me tremendously and I suspect the rest of the book will as well.

This is in no means a comprehensive list, just a few new books off the top of my head.

finallyamommy

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 11:08 am
Sarah Schneirer's biography, I think it's called "Carry Me in your Heart."
Rebbetzin Machlis's biography, and Rebbetzin Kanievsky's biography, both of which I'm blanking on titles sorry.
Holy Woman by Sara Yocheved Rigler
To Vanquish the Dragon by Pearl something, it's a Holocaust memoir.
Anything by Esther Jungreis
If you can find it, I like The Tznius Challenge, the Tznius Connection by Chaya Newman, it presents tznius in an inspirational rather than preachy way.
Anything by Emanuel Feldman. "On Judaism," "The Shul without a Clock," "Tales out of Jerusalem" offhand.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 11:20 am
finallyamommy wrote:
Rebbetzin Machlis's biography, and Rebbetzin Kanievsky's biography, both of which I'm blanking on titles sorry.
If you can find it, I like The Tznius Challenge, the Tznius Connection by Chaya Newman, it presents tznius in an inspirational rather than preachy way.
Anything by Emanuel Feldman. "On Judaism," "The Shul without a Clock," "Tales out of Jerusalem" offhand.

The newest, and a must, must read is The 28th of Iyar.

You have some oldies but goodies. A few notes:
Mrs. Pearl Benisch wrote both Carry Me in Your Heart and To Vanquish the Dragon.
Rebbetzin Machlis's bio is Emunah with Love and Chicken Soup.
There are several biographies about Rebbetzin Kanievsky, the Artscroll grownup one, which was wonderful, a youth edition of the same, and Tuesdays with the Rebbetzin. ETA: And, The Rebbetzin Loved Me. All fine books.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Wed, May 16 2018, 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

rosey

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 1:02 pm
finallyamommy wrote:

Thank you all for the comments. I have read these, except Vanquish the Dragon, and the one you mentioned on Tznius, and loved them all. We have a local gemach, so I borrow lots of books from them, which also makes it hard to chose what to buy. So now that you know my tastes perfectly, if you think of others, please let me know!! I did love 28th of Iyar, once I picked it up I couldn't put it down until I finished it. I've been looking at On Judiasm on and off, maybe I'll try to read that through.

I'll check out the ones by Nachman Seltzer too, I haven't read much of his stuff at all.
Thanks again.

esuss

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 1:45 pm
books by Rabbi Yoseph Deutsch are narratives about Yetzias Mitzrayim all the way through Eretz Yisroel. Each one about a different time period.

Dual Discovery about Yetzios Mitzrayim is excellent.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 4:08 pm
The Single Files - great read, based on true story

finallyamommy

Post Wed, May 16 2018, 4:14 pm
rosey wrote:
Thank you all for the comments. I have read these, except Vanquish the Dragon, and the one you mentioned on Tznius, and loved them all. We have a local gemach, so I borrow lots of books from them, which also makes it hard to chose what to buy. So now that you know my tastes perfectly, if you think of others, please let me know!! I did love 28th of Iyar, once I picked it up I couldn't put it down until I finished it. I've been looking at On Judiasm on and off, maybe I'll try to read that through.

I'll check out the ones by Nachman Seltzer too, I haven't read much of his stuff at all.
Thanks again.

After I wrote that I thought of Rav Aryeh Levin's biography.

krembo

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 11:22 am
To Remain a Jew
The Secret Life of Gershon Burd
Learn Live Teach by Esther Leah Avner
Shlomie! (biography of Shlomie Gross)
G-d Winked
Lights from Jerusalem

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 8:49 pm
So many magnificent ideas. I just thought of current books.
OP, would love to know what you got. Enjoy!

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 8:58 pm
Quote:
books by Rabbi Yoseph Deutsch are narratives about Yetzias Mitzrayim all the way through Eretz Yisroel. Each one about a different time period.
Just what I was going to say. I may have them but I'm not sure so I bought two - one on Mattan Torah & one on Megillas Rus. I should be good for the whole Yom Tov!

(though strictly speaking they're not non-fiction, in the sense that they are, I don't know, creative re-enactment? Heavily based on midrashim & sources but certainly he makes up dialogue. My DH happens to be opposed to fictionalized Torah but I decided it's better than a lot of other alternatives)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room