Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Bais Shifra Miriam in Monsey
1  2  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:41 am
The school was highly recommended.

I just don’t know anything about the school! We’re moving soon and we’re really desperate. We’re chassidish but not ultra chassidish, and don’t belong in any of the monsey chassidish schools. At least so I think!

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

amother
Copper

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:45 am
That is the school that has a mix of different types of chassidish .

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:53 am
I dont know much. I think the classes are small around 15 girls. Maybe call up and ask or someone else knows

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:55 am
It has a nice mix. They produce extremely refined studenents. Very simple girls & student body.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 11:43 pm
If I may ask, where do you send your son? If you have

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 1:35 am
Thanks for all the replies!

I send my sons to an open minded chassidish Cheder. Does that help?!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 7:17 am
The reason I was asking about your choice of Cheder is that BSM has a grudge against "open minded chassidish cheder" this is not a comment if BSM is good or bad, this is just a fact. You might try to hide the fact where you want to send your son to cheder or look for a different option for your daughter. In my opinion, Bnos Derech Yisroel is as good as BSM

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 9:33 am
So BDY compares to BSM?

I thought they were very different.

amother
Green

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 9:41 am
amother wrote:
The reason I was asking about your choice of Cheder is that BSM has a grudge against "open minded chassidish cheder" this is not a comment if BSM is good or bad, this is just a fact. You might try to hide the fact where you want to send your son to cheder or look for a different option for your daughter. In my opinion, Bnos Derech Yisroel is as good as BSM

I'd choose BDY over Bais Shifra Miriam.

amother
Burntblack

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 9:57 am
I don't think one school is better than the other. I really like both schools. Its a very different parent body. You need to know what you want and where you belong.

Last edited by amother on Mon, May 23 2022, 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 11:24 am
BSM is more of old school Monsey parent body very simple people. It’s a great school.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 11:37 am
This is exactly why I need all your help!

I’m not from monsey and don’t want my girls to land in the wrong school. It’s so hard to get the real info.

I need the good, the bad, and the ugly!

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 12:16 pm
Bais shifra miriam is so not a comparison to bnos derech yisroel! The parent body & students are almost opposites!
Bais shifra Miriam doesn't accept driving moms anymore. Bais shifra miriam is known for its simplicity. Simple people with a great eduacation & excellent focus on middos.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 12:28 pm
is this school named after someone? a rebbetzin? I really like the combination "shifra miriam"

sorry I'm not from monsey/familiar with the school

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 12:29 pm
I am also moving to Monsey now, and just applied to BSM. I researched it, and it seems to me to be for people who place erlichkeit over cookie cutter frumkeit. I wouldn't compare it to BDY, because I hear that's more of an openminded school (chassidishe version of the left) whereas BSM is more sincere, just not as strict with the externals.
Don't know if I'm right, this is just what I heard.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 04 2018, 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 1:45 pm
amother wrote:
Bais shifra miriam is so not a comparison to bnos derech yisroel! The parent body & students are almost opposites!
Bais shifra Miriam doesn't accept driving moms anymore. Bais shifra miriam is known for its simplicity. Simple people with a great eduacation & excellent focus on middos.

How that school has evolved. I was one of the early early students there. The principal drove.

To the poster who asked, the school was named Shifra Miriam after an early donor's mother, or grandmother. When I was in the school, there was a student there named Shifra Miriam, who was a grandchild. She was in the grade above mine.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 2:21 pm
The reason they don't accept driving moms anymore is because some people only want to send there because they want to drive, not necessarily because they belong there & the school is not looking to attract that kind of crowd.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
The reason they don't accept driving moms anymore is because some people only want to send there because they want to drive, not necessarily because they belong there & the school is not looking to attract that kind of crowd.

When I think of the student body when I was there, I would say most mothers drove. So this is very indicative that the student body has changed. I can't imagine the original parent body going for this (certainly not my mother). And all of the principals we had then (we went thru a few) drove.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 2:49 pm
They did not ban driving. The mothers & the staff that always drove are still allowed to drive. But with so many ppl moving out to Monsey & so many looking for schools, some will send to this school just because they want to start driving. These ppl don't belong there. But if you're an old time simple Monseyer that always drove, you will get accepted. They don't want the school to change & become more open minded, they want it to stay simple.

ILOVELIFE

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 2:58 pm
amother wrote:
How that school has evolved. I was one of the early early students there. The principal drove.

To the poster who asked, the school was named Shifra Miriam after an early donor's mother, or grandmother. When I was in the school, there was a student there named Shifra Miriam, who was a grandchild. She was in the grade above mine.

I’m a grad too and yep Mrs B drove in her little car every day as did many of the parents if not most.

I’m out of Monsey for 15 years so can’t comment much but supposedly today it compares to the old Tomer Devorah crowd
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children