Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
My 4 yr old runs into street!

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 4:32 pm
I'm at wits end, how do I handle this? Today we had a real ness, but its scary, my husband and 15 yr old dd right there...I'm going anonymous cuz half of bp was there.....

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 4:34 pm
I’m going to get flamed for this....

Smack him.

Very, very hard.

mha3484

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 4:40 pm
I had this experience with my son once. When everyone calmed down I walked him in front of a parked car and I told him straight up if you cant see the driver they cant see you. If you do this again you will get hit by a car. It freaked him out but it never happened again. He needed to hear the consequences loudly and clearly with no sugar coating.

He had a bad habit of putting legos in his mouth so when we were at the Dr for a well visit I had him explain in great detail what happens when you swallow legos and they take you to the ER. Some kids just dont intuit these things on their own and need to be told very clearly.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 4:48 pm
When an older child does something dangerous, they get smacked. It's the only time I smack my kids, when there's danger involved.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 4:53 pm
amother wrote:
I'm at wits end, how do I handle this? Today we had a real ness, but its scary, my husband and 15 yr old dd right there...I'm going anonymous cuz half of bp was there.....

Have you tried holding his hand? Very tight? What do you mean your husband and 15 yr old were right there? So all of you are just standing near the street and nobody holds the 4 yrs old hand?

Stars

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 4:54 pm
Why does he do this? Is it repeatedly?
Impulsively? To spite you? To get something/somewhere? To run after someone?
We're on the street playing almost every day and most kids by the time they reach age 3 are done running into the road. The age it starts up again is around 8, when they are starting to be allowed to cross small streets but aren't 100% responsible when their mom isn't around.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 20 2018, 2:24 pm
DD was never a runner, but she didn't take street crossing as seriously as I wanted her to.

One day, we saw a dead squirrel in the road, that had been run over. I told her "If a car doesn't see you, you will get squished and DEAD just like this squirrel! That is what you will look like."

She held my hand every time after that.

Sadie

Post Sun, May 20 2018, 3:10 pm
Get a leash. Not kidding, get one and ignore anyone who says anything negative.

asp40

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 12:19 pm
Never ever let go of his hand when out. Honestly, it's just reminding and reminding and always holding onto them until they can be trusted.

mommy201

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 12:47 pm
He sounds like he would be old enough to understand a good example of what happens. I've heard of people who put an orange on the street and then run over it with their car and show the child what happens to it. It is more of scare tactic....

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 6:24 pm
Well he saw felt lived an example! A car hit him, b"h a thousand times, nothing happened..... I hope and pray he"s scared stiff....

Shoshana37

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 6:30 pm
I had a leash on my son from age 2-4 because he was always running away and yes we told him many times he cannot run into the street but it didn’t work and I didn’t care people laughed at us for putting leash on him but Bh it worked

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 6:48 pm
Can you punish him by banning him from playing outside the rest of the week? Would that help? Some kids are just dangerously daring.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 7:02 pm
amother wrote:
Well he saw felt lived an example! A car hit him, b"h a thousand times, nothing happened..... I hope and pray he"s scared stiff....

BH he's OK.

But here's my answer, in general.

If you're not old enough not to run into the street, then you're not old enough to be outside without either holding my hand or being in a stroller. And I don't care if your younger siblings don't need that. You do.

oliveoil

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 7:51 pm
amother wrote:

This sounds a little too perfect. Less than a week after you post he is hit by a car?

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 7:57 pm
I guess I wasnt clear in my op. I mentioned a ness. He was hit by a car on erev yt.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 9:30 pm
my ds was this type of child. and I did what others did. I told him I will take him outside if he could hold my hand and never run in the street. otherwise he will stay inside. it took a lot of doing this eventually he got it. he has adhd. and I had to teach him this way on other things. untill he got on meds I had a nightmare. he also doesnt learn certain things till its a whole lot of times. unfortunately.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers