Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
What pareve side dishes do you make for a dairy meal?
Previous  1  2  3

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 1:40 am
eema1 wrote:
what are spinach cannelloni and vegetable tian?

Spinach cannelloni is a stuffed pasta. I saw the recipe but I can’t find the cannelloni anywhere, so google says you can use lasagna noodles instead, and just wrap them.
Vegetable tian is a very pretty (and yummy) cut up vegetable dish. If you message in the morning, or comment on this thread to remind me, I will send you the recipe. It’s super super easy.

giselle

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 3:11 am
Can you also post olive cheese truffles?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 6:44 am
giselle wrote:

Will do, when I go downstairs

cozyblanket

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 7:13 am
Roasted broccoli
Cucumber salad

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 8:43 am
giselle wrote:

olive cheese truffles

Yields approximately 18 servings

8oz whipped cream cheese
1 c crumbles feta cheese
2 tsp fresh chopped dill (I used dry, I hope it’s good enough)
1 tsp lemon zest (left out cuz I don’t have)
18 (or more if needed) olives with pimento
1 c chopped walnuts (left out cuz I don’t do nuts, debating if I will use something else instead)

Combine cream cheese, cheese, dill, and zest. Place in fridge for a few hours or overnight.
Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Fill a bowl with chopped nuts. Dry olives with paper towel. Using your hands, take a TBSP of the mixture and roll it around the olive, then roll in nuts. Place on prepared baking sheet and refrigerate until ready to serve.

UnFarvosNischt

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:33 am
Great ideas ladies!

For the ladies doing:
-grilled vegetables
-salmon
-sesame noodles
Can those dishes be frozen? Or when should they be made at last? (First 3 days yom tov I'm doing bh)

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 11:35 am
Grilled veggies & salmon cannot be frozen. Sesame noodle freeze ok.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 1:55 pm
amother wrote:
Ok, so then halachically it’s probably not considered the same meal. The way you wrote it, wasn’t obvious there was a break, and in general it is a problem if it’s the same meal.

If it's not the same meal why don't you need to bench after the first meal?

Iymnok

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 2:41 pm
Here’s the order of a milchig then fleishig seuda.
Kiddush
Hamotzi on the first challah
Dairy food
Wash hands and mouths, change the tablecloth and dishes, remove all the food. Do not leave the house!
Cut the second challah
Serve The fleishig seuda
Dessert and bench

If everyone leaves the house in the middle, you "lose" the brocha and must bench and wash again in order to continue.

We have a milchig kiddush when Dh comes home at about 7:00. We have done a combined seuda, but not this year.
Maybe I’ll make a milchig noodle kugel for the end of Yomtov to feed the kids for dinner.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 3:02 pm
amother wrote:
Eeema of 3, delicious menu, great variety!

Thanks!!!

goodmorning

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:00 pm
Iymnok wrote:

If everyone leaves the house in the middle, you "lose" the brocha and must bench and wash again in order to continue.

Not if you made a hamotzi. The halachos of shinui makom don't apply to hamotzi. See Rema OC 178:2.

That said, l'chatchila one is not supposed to leave the house in the middle of a seuda of hamotzi (see Rema) lest one forget to come back and finish the seudah. (See Mishna Berura who says that this l'chatchila doesn't apply if the original intent was to leave during the seudah, or to leaving only for a very short time.)

But either way, b'dieved, even if you left the house, you don't "lose" a hamotzi.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 10:06 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
Spinach cannelloni is a stuffed pasta. I saw the recipe but I can’t find the cannelloni anywhere, so google says you can use lasagna noodles instead, and just wrap them.
Vegetable tian is a very pretty (and yummy) cut up vegetable dish. If you message in the morning, or comment on this thread to remind me, I will send you the recipe. It’s super super easy.

Just had to let you know, I googled vegetable tian and decided to make it, and my hub and I polished it off as soon as it came out of the oven before shabbos even started. I used breadcrumbs instead of cheese. Thank you for the idea!

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 8:12 am
amother wrote:
Just had to let you know, I googled vegetable tian and decided to make it, and my hub and I polished it off as soon as it came out of the oven before shabbos even started. I used breadcrumbs instead of cheese. Thank you for the idea!

Ours lasted, and was polished off at the meal :-)

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 8:43 am
Iymnok wrote:
Here’s the order of a milchig then fleishig seuda.
Kiddush
Hamotzi on the first challah
Dairy food
Wash hands and mouths, change the tablecloth and dishes, remove all the food. Do not leave the house!
Cut the second challah
Serve The fleishig seuda
Dessert and bench

Just seeing this. We do the same! So glad to find someone else who knows from this. It's full-on sourced in the mishnah berurah. It has to do with using both challos because of the shtei halechem. We also have honey on our challah for the sweetness of torah.

Iymnok

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 9:07 am
amother wrote:
Just seeing this. We do the same! So glad to find someone else who knows from this. It's full-on sourced in the mishnah berurah. It has to do with using both challos because of the shtei halechem. We also have honey on our challah for the sweetness of torah.

We ended up doing it again this year. Dh relearned the MB.
It’s also a perfect time for a good coffee. We had cheesecake, butter for the challah and coffee.

smile12345

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 10:55 am
amother wrote:

Can you post a link to the recipe you used?

WastingTime

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 12:30 pm
amother wrote:
I’ve found that many women are not aware of what the proper meals for Shavuous should be. Most believe the meals are supposed to be dairy. In fact that’s wrong, as on Yom Tov we are supposed to have same type of Seudos as Shabbos (bassar v’dagim), fleishig food. The true minhag is just to have something dairy earlier, and then have a full fleishig seuda for the meals...for those of you who are interested,,.

You better write a letter to R Chaim Kanievsky and explain to him that he is not aware what proper Shavuos meals should be.
I'm sure he'll be sooo happy you enlightened him.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 2:29 pm
smile12345 wrote:
Can you post a link to the recipe you used?

I would also like the recipe
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics