Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
URGENT Anyone here ever started a school?
1  2  Next

amother
Green

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 4:38 pm
Or a class within school ?

(One of my autistic children is not managing in school. I do not want to homeschool if it can be avoided.)

If you have and are willing to offer advice please post here and I will pm you for ideas.

This situation is extremely urgent.

ETA

You can also email at

autismclass@yahoo.com

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 5:28 pm
I have some experience and might be able to help you. Why is it so urgent?

amother
Green

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 6:02 pm
Thank you Ruby.

Would you be willing to email me at

autismclass@yahoo.com

The situation is urgent because I feel that my kid can no longer go to his school and there are no schools where I live that can cater to his needs.

So my options are

Homeschool
Set up a new class
Emigrate

Setting up a new class seems like the easiest option (ie most likely for me to see success)

Anyone with any great ideas such as

How to do this???
How to get funding?
What is even required?

Or

Best countries for homeschooling that are ok for Jews???

Or info about WHO TO CALL in Israel about making aliyah with kids with autism. (ALUT??? Are they helpful??)????

PLEASE post here or email me.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 1:24 am
What country are you in? What city? Without any information we can't advise you.

amother
Green

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 1:27 am
Can you please either give general information or message me via

autismclass@yahoo.com

Please?

You can also use a fake email. I can read what you say and evaluate it with my own limited seichel.

sped

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 9:58 am
If you are considering Israel, first contact Chaim V'Chessed:
https://chaimvchessed.com/
and speak to their special ed depsrtment. She could be very helpful.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 10:53 am
I've never done it myself but friends who did found a successful school started the process two full years before opening their first class. It's probably unrealistic to start working now for this coming school year. Your best bet is moving someplace that already has a good school in place, if your family can manage it.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 9:23 pm
for some reason I think that new york would be your best bet for an autistic child. new york has the most available in terms of government funding and the community there is very large plus the options are alot larger then what your describing.

im not sure, but if someone can chime in about gan yisrael in brooklyn is geared towards such kids.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 9:58 pm
Are you in the USA? If so, your student is entitled to FAPE--- if the local public school cannot accomodate his needs they are obligated to place him/her for free in a school that can. My son was expelled from public school and after a number of emergency IEP meetings, the district is paying for placement in a behavior school.

If you're in the USA, unless you're in NY or perhaps Lakewood, the Jewish schools generally cannot work with autism except for the most minor cases.

As for starting a school or a class within a school give yourself a ton of funding and and least a couple of years. If this is urgent for YOUR student for NOW, it's NOT going to work.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 10:11 pm
my friend moved to NY in order for her son to get the schooling he needed

amother
Green

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 10:51 pm
I'm not in the US. Obviously I'm looking for a more immediate option but I was looking to start something in a school in say 1 - 2 years. There seems a need for it , not just for my kid. Is it only in Lakewood that there is such a thing? It seems wrong that the State is more willing to enforce a child's right to am education than the Jewish community insists on a child's right to a Jewish education.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 11:02 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not in the US. Obviously I'm looking for a more immediate option but I was looking to start something in a school in say 1 - 2 years. There seems a need for it , not just for my kid. Is it only in Lakewood that there is such a thing? It seems wrong that the State is more willing to enforce a child's right to am education than the Jewish community insists on a child's right to a Jewish education.

I don't think it's a question of will, but of numbers. Most places just don't have enough religious Jewish children on the autism spectrum to support a school that serves them exclusively. Israel is the only place you'll find public religious education for your child, regardless of needs. Is it perfect? No. But everything has some flaws. Nefesh bNefesh should be able to hook you up with parents whose kids are similar to yours, and then you can make an educated decision. Hatzlacha!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 11:08 pm
Toronto has https://kaylaschildrencentre.o.....utism

amother
Green

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 11:24 pm
I only need 4-5 other kids of a similarish age to mine to start a class within an existing school.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 12:00 am
amother wrote:

Public schools are government funded. Jewish schools are (by and large) not, and most struggle mightily to cover their costs with the basic student-teacher ratio. Special ed is an entirely different - and vastly costly - kettle of fish. Most schools cannot undertake that. Your inability to see that makes me wonder if you are the right person to open a school.

amother
Green

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 12:12 am
amother wrote:
Public schools are government funded. Jewish schools are (by and large) not, and most struggle mightily to cover their costs with the basic student-teacher ratio. Special ed is an entirely different - and vastly costly - kettle of fish. Most schools cannot undertake that. Your inability to see that makes me wonder if you are the right person to open a school.

I can see that. I want a CLASS within an existing and quite wealthy school. Both the school itself as a lot (not all) of the parent body. There would be some government funding. There ARE very wealthy people who may want to take this on. To make the "Reuven Shimonsky" autism class at x school. Maybe.

I'm NOT the person to do it, if you knew me, the creature that I am. But no one else is so I have to put in my very best effort. Whether or not it happens will ve up to G-d.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 12:45 am
amother wrote:
I can see that. I want a CLASS within an existing and quite wealthy school. Both the school itself as a lot (not all) of the parent body. There would be some government funding. There ARE very wealthy people who may want to take this on. To make the "Reuven Shimonsky" autism class at x school. Maybe.

I'm NOT the person to do it, if you knew me, the creature that I am. But no one else is so I have to put in my very best effort. Whether or not it happens will ve up to G-d.

I wish you success, but realize it is a HUGE expense - yes, even a new class within an existing school. Look up the costs of special ed. You will be shocked.

amother
Green

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 12:50 am
amother wrote:
I wish you success, but realize it is a HUGE expense - yes, even a new class within an existing school. Look up the costs of special ed. You will be shocked.

Well I'm guessing at least $10 million just to get it off the ground, then say 2 million a year after that. Pure guess. But G-d is infinite. If it is meant to happen it could if someone tries extremely hard. If it's not meant to happen it won't, but the effort is not wasted. OTOH if no one does anything then for SURE it won't happen.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 12:56 am
amother wrote:
Well I'm guessing at least $10 million just to get it off the ground, then say 2 million a year after that. Pure guess. But G-d is infinite. If it is meant to happen it could if someone tries extremely hard. If it's not meant to happen it won't, but the effort is not wasted. OTOH if no one does anything then for SURE it won't happen.

TEN million to open a classroom in an existing school - for autistic children (so not requiring a tremendous amount of extra equipment that would be needed with children with physical challenges)?

If you can convince your school to reserve a classroom. And paid teachers, generously 1:1 at 75K per teacher, plus some extra funding for curriculum development and evaluations.. you are not even close to 1M.

What am I missing?

crust

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 1:02 am
amother wrote:

I agree with you about doing something but money is the first thing.

I know you are not in the US but I think it is a good idea to check out Grantwatch.com.

If your cause is a worthy one then they might have an idea for you how to find a donor.
Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics