Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
S/o how would you handle Christian or pagan prayers in home?

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 12:44 am
What if your worker in your home was Christian and was praying to Yoshke or idol of Mary-which is technically different than Muslim because that's actual avoda zara, or what if you had an Indian in your home and they wanted to pray to their hundreds of gods which is pagan, would you allow that?

momnaturally

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 1:42 am
Pagan and catholic is literally avoda zara.
It is assur to have that act done in your house. I would hope on a frum site no one would even consider otherwise.
Other Christians is less of a shayla. I definitely would ask a Rov.

DrMom

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 4:00 am
If the worker was quietly doing something in a corner or saying grace before eating lunch, I would not say anything. I cannot police his silent speech or private thoughts.

If he is setting up an idol and burning incense and sacrificing goats in my living room, yeah, I'd step in and ask him to do that on his own time.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 5:46 am
I dont think I'll even consider it an option

imasoftov

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 6:10 am
DrMom wrote:
If the worker was quietly doing something in a corner or saying grace before eating lunch, I would not say anything. I cannot police his silent speech or private thoughts.

If he is setting up an idol and burning incense and sacrificing goats in my living room, yeah, I'd step in and ask him to do that on his own time.

Now I'm imagining someone bringing a live chicken and a shochet's knife to work and having the chicken run around the office until lunch ...

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 11:21 am
All those people who are saying no, were you ok with a Muslim praying in your home?

invisiblecircus

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 5:46 pm
I can't imagine a situation where a Christian or person of another religion would be praying in my home (and I have friends of different religions.)
Jews pray in the home a lot more than Christians do, but even then I can't imagine I'd pray in someone elses home unless it was a specific event where prayer was involved.
In what situation would a Christian be praying in your home? And as for setting up an idol? I think I'd be far more alarmed by the social inappropriateness that I would barely even think of any religious objections I may have, and I'm pretty sure that many Christians would feel the same!

juggling

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 12:25 am
The situation would be if you had a foreign caretaker living in your home, and they were devout adherents of a pagan religion. They certainly might set up a worship area in their bedroom, or something of the sort. Honestly, I'm not sure how I would be able to ask them not to.

imasinger

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 6:18 am
If someone were praying silently, I'd never know.

But the other thread was about a Muslim woman who asked permission, and wanted to bring her prayer rug into her work, which was in that OP's home.

If a Buddhist wanted to bring a statue into my home, or a Catholic, her rosary, I would have a problem, because both are connected with avodah zarah. For me, the fact that the prevailing opinion is that Islam is not avoda zarah is why I would respond differently.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette