Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Far rockaway

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 12:46 am
We will iyh be moving to far rockaway for dh job and I know no one there or anything about the place. We are looking to rent a 3+ bedroom place. What kind of rentals are there private houses 2 fam houses etc. is it reasonable to find something for 2500. If I rent will I have use of the yard. We are a more yeshivish family and our oldest kid is 5. What areas should I be looking at. Is there a sense of community. Will a new family on the block be noticed. Is it a welcoming place or while everyone individually is nice it’s hard to break in to a crowd.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 9:04 am
Anyone....

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 10:06 am
amother wrote:
We will iyh be moving to far rockaway for dh job and I know no one there or anything about the place. We are looking to rent a 3+ bedroom place. What kind of rentals are there private houses 2 fam houses etc. is it reasonable to find something for 2500. If I rent will I have use of the yard. We are a more yeshivish family and our oldest kid is 5. What areas should I be looking at. Is there a sense of community. Will a new family on the block be noticed. Is it a welcoming place or while everyone individually is nice it’s hard to break in to a crowd.

Firstly, I’d suggest you look at Inwood, too.
With regard to FR:
1) 2500 for a 3BR is right.
2) You may find something in a complex or a two family house. On occasion 3BRs come available in the buildings but not often.
3) You should have use of the yard. It would be the exception if you didn’t.
4) Maybe look in the area close to Darchei with regard to being near more yeshivish people. But there are yeshivish people all over FR.
5) I did not find that there was a sense of community, personally.
6) I did not find that new people moving in were noticed more than a basic hello, where are you from. You’ll probably have to put a bit of an ambitious foot forward with regard to getting to know people.
7) I find it can take time to break into the crowd.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 10:11 am
Inwood actually sounds way better to me than Far Rockaway but I was told that rentals are very hard to find...

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 12:22 pm
I would look into Bayswater as well. Ayswater is a very friendly community, with lots of young couples from lots of different backgrounds. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that, at least for the time being, it is still cheaper than FR proper.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 12:36 pm
amother wrote:
Inwood actually sounds way better to me than Far Rockaway but I was told that rentals are very hard to find...

They are. I agree with the next poster who said to also look into Bayswater (especially with regard to coming into a welcoming community).

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 1:20 pm
My husband wont move to Bayswater. Ideally its Inwood and I actually know people there but rental market is hard so that leaves us with Far Rockaway. Is the rental market good there? If I want to move 9/1 is starting to seriously look in July cutting it too close? I dont want to pay rent until Im actually living in the apartment. Other than near Darchei is there specific areas I should focus on or avoid. My ideal place is a mix of everyone accountants/lawyers/rebbe.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 3:07 pm
Does anyone have contact information for Realtors who can help with rentals in Far Rockaway/Inwood?

porcupine04

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 4:00 pm
The fivetownsshuls Yahoo group had a posting this afternoon for a 3 bedroom rental in FR

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 6:16 pm
Try the 5 Towns Jewish Times. They have listings of rentals and ads for local real estate agents. Almost any area of FR will have the mix of people you are looking for.

hello3

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 10:08 pm
To answer some of your questions:
1. No sense of community. Took us a very long time to get the feeling of belonging.
2. The crowed is very mixed. If you are yeshivish, there are a few areas where the kollel yungerlit hange around. A lot of them live in the complexes on neilson ave & dinsmore Ave area (not in the buildings, the buildings are more fancy and less yeshivish). The darchei area is far out from the center of far rockaway. But I guess it really depends on where your husband will want to daven.
3. I suggest before you reach out to a realtor search the fivetownshulslist@yahoo a lot of apt owners post over there. If you are looking specifically to work with a realtor, Malka Weingot from Miller realty is great.
Feel free to pm with any other questions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating