Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
STILL seeking lyrics after over a decade!
1  2  Next

Choirmistress

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 6:24 am
Please, someone, help save my sanity.
From all the lyrics on all the tracks, I am still missing just five syllables from Rochel Miller's first album, Tehillas Hashem. Don't ask me to contact her personally. I did. Over ten years ago. She was not helpful. I have tried having coworkers with far better hearing than mine (I have constant tinnitus and a pair of hearing aids) to listen to the tape as well, and they can't make out the syllables either.
What I am missing are the first five syllables of the second line of the chorus of "Light Up My Way". They follow the line "What you see, my friend, is the way of our Torah." They sound like "When I (k)n_____ __iss/ice/it's __ee." The sounds I have included are definitely clearly heard. What I am still missing are the blanks in between.
I need someone familiar with this particular song to fill them in.
Any help out there will be much appreciated and gratefully acknowledged.
Thanks in advance,

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 6:45 am
Choirmistress wrote:
Please, someone, help save my sanity.
From all the lyrics on all the tracks, I am still missing just five syllables from Rochel Miller's first album, Tehillas Hashem. Don't ask me to contact her personally. I did. Over ten years ago. She was not helpful.

What do you mean, she wasn't helpful?

hanna2010

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 7:06 am
Can you provide the rest of the words in that paragraph?
If we can't figure them out, how about we compose our own words for that line?

Choirmistress

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 7:06 am
Thanks for your prompt reply, Amethyst.
What I meant was that she was at her summer retreat (where I phoned her long distance from Toronto), and quite possibly in a hurry. Her only suggestion at the time was to contact her distributor, Mostly Music, and send them $10 for a fresh copy of the cassette (as I had explained that my copy had turned into a slightly spaghettied length of tape of less than five minutes, about one-third of the way through one side. I have since been given a fresh copy by a friend.)
So, as I said, not very helpful, but not her fault either. Was I being presumptuous in asking her for (at that time) the lyrics to three of the songs on the tape? (I have long since found or guessed at the words to the other two that I could not at first make out clearly.)
And yes, I am STILL missing the words to the second line of the chorus of "Light Up My Way".
Regards,

Choirmistress

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 7:13 am
Thanks, hanna.
The previous line I had already supplied in my original post:
"What you see, my friend, is the way of our Torah."
The continuation of the line beginning with the missing syllables is:
"...and the mitzvos set me free."
And the rest of the chorus is:
"And I have no need to worry or despair,
For I trust in Hashem to light up my way."
And no, I do NOT want to make up my own lyrics. I want to find the missing ones.
Thanks for your reply.
Regards,

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 8:43 am
It's very different to contact someone and ask for one line as opposed to three full songs. Maybe try again?

Alternatively, since u have the song, can upload a snippet here so we can have something to work with?

Choirmistress

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 9:28 am
Thanks, Peach.
I will happily take your suggestion and try to reach Mrs. Miller again. You are absolutely correct that five syllables are a far cry from the lyrics to three entire songs.
But sorry, no, I have no idea how to upload a "snippet" of even a few seconds to the Internet. (I'm not a technophobe, just not quite a techie either.) I'm afraid that whoever is willing to help me out would have to listen to the tape herself. Maybe -- with luck -- the missing syllables are also included in a 30-second sample on iTunes.
Thanks again and regards,

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 9:35 am
Good luck.

I don't think she's very well known so I hope you find someone who is familiar with her music.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 9:48 am
amother wrote:
Good luck.

I don't think she's very well known so I hope you find someone who is familiar with her music.

Because it's a new generation... she used to be very well known. She hasn't made a concert or album since 2001.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 9:52 am
amother wrote:
Because it's a new generation... she used to be very well known. She hasn't made a concert or album since 2001.

I am of that generation and never heard of her.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 10:02 am
I actually know exactly which song you're talking about, and I never knew those lyrics either! I'm sorry I can't help, just wanted to commiserate.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 10:07 am
amother wrote:
I am of that generation and never heard of her.

Entirely possible. But she was more well-known 20 years ago than she is now, that's all.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 10:18 am
Choirmistress wrote:
Thanks for your prompt reply, Amethyst.
What I meant was that she was at her summer retreat (where I phoned her long distance from Toronto), and quite possibly in a hurry. Her only suggestion at the time was to contact her distributor, Mostly Music, and send them $10 for a fresh copy of the cassette (as I had explained that my copy had turned into a slightly spaghettied length of tape of less than five minutes, about one-third of the way through one side. I have since been given a fresh copy by a friend.)
So, as I said, not very helpful, but not her fault either. Was I being presumptuous in asking her for (at that time) the lyrics to three of the songs on the tape? (I have long since found or guessed at the words to the other two that I could not at first make out clearly.)
And yes, I am STILL missing the words to the second line of the chorus of "Light Up My Way".
Regards,

WADR, yes, you were being quite presumptuous in phoning someone at her summer retreat, and asking her to provide you with information. I certainly would not appreciate random strangers contacting me in that way, and would (as she did) direct them to my representatives.

Since you have the cassette, I'd suggest that you contact the public performance organization (probably ASCAP, BMI or SESAC) to locate sheet music, which would include the lyrics. If that's not available, try the record company. You should also check the cassette to confirm that she composed the lyrics; very often, the performer is not the composer. Then contact the representative for the composer.

Choirmistress

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 10:37 am
Thanks, Indigo.
I'll take your suggestion and check at home (I'm in the office now) for the proprietary information on the cassette. Mostly Music was of no help earlier this afternoon.
But just so you know, it was Mrs. Miller's husband who was kind enough to give me her phone number "in the mountains".
Regards,
Choirmistress.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 10:42 am
Choirmistress wrote:
Thanks, Indigo.
I'll take your suggestion and check at home (I'm in the office now) for the proprietary information on the cassette. Mostly Music was of no help earlier this afternoon.
But just so you know, it was Mrs. Miller's husband who was kind enough to give me her phone number "in the mountains".
Regards,
Choirmistress.

I used to work for her on her concerts. Very nice people.

cnc

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 11:03 am
amother wrote:
Good luck.

She was very well known when I was a kid.

cbsp

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 2:14 pm
FWIW, I don't know if today would be a good day to get in touch with her as there was a levaya in the family...

I'll try to see if my copy of Tehillas Hashem is still around. I love her music.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 2:20 pm
cbsp wrote:
FWIW, I don't know if today would be a good day to get in touch with her as there was a levaya in the family...

I'll try to see if my copy of Tehillas Hashem is still around. I love her music.

What happened?? Who was niftar?

Choirmistress

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 2:49 pm
Hi, Amethyst.
You used to work for her at her concerts?
Then you may know the syllables from memory. I have previously posted what the syllables sound like, I.e., the definite vowel or consonant phonemes. Would you care to give it a go?
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Choirmistress.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 3:07 pm
Choirmistress wrote:
Hi, Amethyst.
You used to work for her at her concerts?
Then you may know the syllables from memory. I have previously posted what the syllables sound like, I.e., the definite vowel or consonant phonemes. Would you care to give it a go?
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Choirmistress.

I used to work for her concerts but I'm not familiar with a song "Light up my way". It must have been before my time. I was in the children's choir in 1992 and adult choir from 1997 on. I worked with her in 2000 and 2001.
I'm sorry, I would love to help. It brings back fond memories for me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts