Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Showering on YT
1  2  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 7:47 pm
I'd like to hear from those who've heard from a Rov (or a DH with semicha) if and how one can shower on YT. Please specify from which community or stream your answer derives. Thank you.

(My husband thinks it's just 'too dangerous' as one may come to transgress an issur. I am finding that way too difficult to manage and I need to know what others hold. I don't think I can survive another three day YT.)

amother
Amber

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 7:50 pm
Lukewarm water, 1 limb under water at a time, liquid soap, pat dry.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 7:52 pm
amother wrote:
I'd like to hear from those who've heard from a Rov (or a DH with semicha) if and how one can shower on YT. Please specify from which community or stream your answer derives. Thank you.

(My husband thinks it's just 'too dangerous' as one may come to transgress an issur. I am finding that way too difficult to manage and I need to know what others hold. I don't think I can survive another three day YT.)

My rav holds you can shower. Plain frum/yeshivish.

Pickle1

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 8:12 pm
warm water, limb by limb, dilute the body wash before yt. I did it like 3 times a day over yt, lifesaver.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 8:19 pm
As far as I know everyone says you can shower on Yom Tov (unless you have the coil water-heating system) with liquid soap.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 8:29 pm
I was told you can shower eiver eiver. A hand held shower works great for doing that. Obviously can't wash your hair.

Seas

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 8:51 pm
Even separate limbs are only permitted if one doesn't end up washing most of the body. Also, it's not permitted in the shower.

See full article from Kof-K

https://www.google.com/url?sa=.....-ljNX

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 9:20 pm
Thank you, Seas! That's very helpful.

My family seems to think you can only use cold water, so I am glad to hear otherwise.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 10:22 am
notshanarishona wrote:
I was told you can shower eiver eiver. A hand held shower works great for doing that. Obviously can't wash your hair.

That's the advantage of being a chasidish woman that shaves. I shower on yomtov sometimes, and my hair (or lack thereof Very Happy !) is not a problem.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 10:29 am
I'm chasidish. I was told that the only problem is using hard soaps (witch I anyway never ever use) oh and no baths, only shower.
As a girl I also used to shower and I would put tons of shampoo in my hair and rinse it out. And then I would put a towel on my shoulder to absorb the wetness of my hair. Cuz I didn't dry with a towel.

heidi

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 10:30 am
Right wing YU semicha rav told me I can shower. Liquid soap. No washing hair. I am careful to pat other areas of my body that do have hair with soap and let water run on it.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 6:12 pm
im chasidish, and very so. I was told only in extreme cases. like if you are the type that sweats alot. and cant be near people that way. and also I shave, how do I wipe my body if I have some hair on it. as most people do? its sechita if you squeeze any hair. even the least amount. its too easy to be oiver so I skipped the shower.
thats why I didnt give in a shower, as the weather was cool and I didnt feel the need. I was fine without it. and I normally take showers every day. im usually the type that must have my showers. I was also told that if im using hot water to cook and wash dishes I should then take the shower if I must. or bathe a child.

miami85

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 6:33 pm
My husband only does on like simchas Torah when it goes into Shabbos, and on a few occaisions where he took a long walk in the heat--but I think it was a cold/lukewarm shower. I hate cold showers, and actually tend to get sick from them and would be difficult with my long hair so I've never done it. He has smicha.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 9:58 pm
Here on imamother is the first time I am ever hearing about showering on Yom Tov, other than my own story below. Both my husband and I had never heard of people showering on yom tov -- ever!

Last year when I was suffering a very painful skin condition my husband asked our dayan if I could shower on yom tov. He hmmmed and hawwed... My husband pushed him to the wall, saying that we never ask for a heter and in this case we are because of excruciating pain that is only relieved by hot water.

The dayan asked if cold water was okay, and hubby said no, only hot.

Finally he gave the psak that I may shower.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 10:03 pm
A sociological note: When I was a child, no one showered on yom tov, and everybody smoked. (They lit their cigarettes from the yahrzeit candles.) As showering every day became the norm and smoking fell out of favor, the situation reversed.

ETA: shul smells better now!

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 5:02 am
To amother gray .I was also wondering if I am the crazy one here .I also never heard that's its allowed.

watergirl

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 5:30 am
I was given the ok from our rav to shower, hot water is ok, ok to be all under the water, but to soap and clean limb by limb. Once I was given a psak to even wash my hair because I had to cover it while wet before YT which made my scalp very itchy (I always dry my hair before covering for this reason) and I was going insane. The rav said I’m an istinus (spelled way wrong, obviously) and to wash it without squeezing. Very hard to do.

Chayalle

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 6:39 am
My Rav said that when I wash the dishes and the hot water was turned on for that purpose, I can leave it running and fill a bucket with warm water. I can then use that warm water, with diluted shower gel, to wash my body limb by limb (not hair) in the tub.

It helps alot. It also gets my teens to help with the dishes (and fill their own buckets.)

amother
Gray

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 6:58 am
Chayalle wrote:
My Rav said that when I wash the dishes and the hot water was turned on for that purpose, I can leave it running and fill a bucket with warm water. I can then use that warm water, with diluted shower gel, to wash my body limb by limb (not hair) in the tub.

It helps alot. It also gets my teens to help with the dishes (and fill their own buckets.)

lol!

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 9:03 am
amother wrote:
To amother gray .I was also wondering if I am the crazy one here .I also never heard that's its allowed.

You aren't. The first time I inquired and got the ok was when I was in Bnei Brak by our Rebbe for Tishrei. As an American in Bnei Brak's stifling heat + humidity on a three day yomtov... I won't even try finishing that sentence! When in NY I never asked such a shaila.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions