Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Showering on YT
Previous  1  2

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 10:56 am
amother wrote:
A sociological note: When I was a child, no one showered on yom tov, and everybody smoked. (They lit their cigarettes from the yahrzeit candles.) As showering every day became the norm and smoking fell out of favor, the situation reversed.

ETA: shul smells better now!

And I find the opposite to be true. Growing up showering was acceptable and done on Yom Tov by everyone I knew, and now suddenly it has become a question.

momosix

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 12:05 pm
I grew up modern orthodox (a pants wearing mixed swimming, no head covering family) and no one in my family showered on yom tov - it wasn’t even a question. In fact none of my friends did either. Many people I know today who shower will tell you the same thing - neither they when they were growing up, nor their parents nor their grandparents showered on Yom Tov. I still don’t shower on yom Tov and much to my kids dismay, I don’t let them shower on yom Tov either.

tichellady

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 12:09 pm
momosix wrote:
I grew up modern orthodox (a pants wearing mixed swimming, no head covering family) and no one in my family showered on yom tov - it wasn’t even a question. In fact none of my friends did either. Many people I know today who shower will tell you the same thing - neither they when they were growing up, nor their parents nor their grandparents showered on Yom Tov. I still don’t shower on yom Tov and much to my kids dismay, I don’t let them shower on yom Tov either.

Have you ever asked a rabbi a question about this??? I come from a rabbinic modern orthodox family and we shower on yomtov ( just no hair washing) and we brush our teeth on shabbos/yomtov. No need to be strict about something that isn’t halakha ( and if it is halakha accordingto your rabbi, then follow him, but it doesn’t sound like that from your post)

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 12:13 pm
Quote:
I still don’t shower on yom Tov and much to my kids dismay, I don’t let them shower on yom Tov either.
I feel like it's very important to get your facts straight. True, there are challenges, but it's far better to get a psak and teach your kids exactly what they can and can't do, than to have them growing up hating YT and maybe Yiddishkeit because they associate it with suffering.

Because I was dumb enough not to clarify this before YT, I was up all night itchy (also cold but that's another story, but therefore I couldn't dream of washing w cold water) and I just kept telling myself, "Hashem does NOT hate you, He did NOT give you the mitzvah of YT to torture you, it's only because you didn't get around to clarifying the halacha that you are suffering."

squirrel

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 12:39 pm
Im somewhat chassidish and I asked a very yeshivish rav and explained that for me I cannot enjoy yom tov without a shower I was told I can.
I wash my hair and shampoo as well I just make sure not to squeeze and I pat dry.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 2:18 pm
I learned by Lubavitch that is was possible (though not preferable, and more lenient for women, and more for children) to wash one limb at a time in lukewarm water with free flowing (watered down liquid) soap. I usually don't, but I did by Shavous because I was really sick.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 2:24 pm
Chayalle wrote:
My Rav said that when I wash the dishes and the hot water was turned on for that purpose, I can leave it running and fill a bucket with warm water. I can then use that warm water, with diluted shower gel, to wash my body limb by limb (not hair) in the tub.

It helps alot. It also gets my teens to help with the dishes (and fill their own buckets.)

Why does it have to be a bideved, only after running water for dishes that you can fill for shower?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 2:25 pm
you're allowed to wash limb by limb with liquid soap that isn't thick. I've never heard of not being allowed to wash this way. 3 days is gross without washing and not so nice for the people around that person.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions