Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving, but no houses available

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 7:19 pm
What would you do if the city you are moving to had like NO homes aside from teeny tiny homes--we are 7 people, huge luxurious mansions, and ugly foreclosures and no rentals. I'm moving for work. I've spoken to several realtors, all they can offer me are houses out of the Jewish neighborhood. I check zillow daily. There arent really any rentals either. I know there is still some time, but getting nervous.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 7:23 pm
Would you tell us where you are moving to?

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 7:32 pm
I guess it depends what you mean by teeny tiny. Also, is there an adjacent neighborhood that has other options?

ETA no rentals, seriously? I don't think I've ever heard of a city with no rentals. I definitely wouldn't buy something I really dislike even if I would rent for a year or two.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 7:46 pm
I have the same problem as you only there are no mansions. Just tiny houses that need lots of work and even those go in second and there are no rentals either.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 7:46 pm
Rentals are rarely available on Zillow. You need to check Craigslist regularly, as well as classifieds.

But I totally get what you mean - when we moved, we thought we'd have to rent an apartment way too small for us, because there was NOTHING else and we couldn't afford to buy. B"H a miracle happened and a house went up for rent just in time.

I suggest you daven, and IY"H Hashem will guide you to the right place.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 7:47 pm
Could be your standards are different than where you’re going. I live in Cleveland. 3 bedroom house is normal for 7 people. To you that might be tiny.

Miri7

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 7:51 pm
Have you contacted the shul to find out about the best way to find rentals? In our area a lot of things are posted on the shul listserv, or a local moms group, things an outsider would never know to access. People moving to our area often post to the email list introducing themselves and asking for any leads on housing. We also have a tight housing market and a lot of people find homes this way.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 8:38 pm
I remember sitting on the couch with my dh asking where in the world are we going to live, there's nothing available where we are moving, everything is getting taken. My dh told me not to worry, it'll work out and b"H we ended up buying a house that hadn't been available before. I see it with other people in our neighborhood as well, somehow everyone ends up having someplace to live.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 8:45 pm
I don't feel comfortable saying just yet. I mean people there are looking for us but I've been told by several people in the area that its a "sellers market". As for rentals, the only rentals are the teeny houses and frankly we're not interested, its known that in this (small) city there are no rentals, no apartments. Part of our 7 is my mother who needs a room/basement and then kids of different genders and they are getting big enough that they need different rooms (soon).

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 10:12 pm
In my city, many houses bought by frum Jews don't ever make it to Zillow. Speaking to frum realtors and people in the community, sometimes a house can be found before it ever officially gets listed...

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 10:38 am
MANSION?? LOL are you 70? 7 can fit in 3 bedrooms easy.

Raisin

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 11:04 am
I know someone who bought 2 adjoining houses for their very large family.

Can you buy a small house and extend?

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 11:20 am
Welcome to the Brooklyn living crisis.
Just saying, so many of us are in such a situation.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 11:48 am
Ruchel wrote:
MANSION?? LOL are you 70? 7 can fit in 3 bedrooms easy.

Well, I have kids of both genders which should ideally have their own rooms, and even if not genders, I have "older" and "younger" so they would be on different "schedules" but even just having a bedroom which can double as a guest room. These houses are mostly "bedrooms" and not much extra space.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 11:49 am
Raisin wrote:
I know someone who bought 2 adjoining houses for their very large family.

Can you buy a small house and extend?

There are hardly even SMALL houses in that area, and when I say SMALL--I'm talking tiny. Also, that part of the neighborhood is known as a "bad neighborhood." The expansion project would take months to a year and I start working in a little over 2.5 months.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating