Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Uman - before 1986?

crbc

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 12:39 pm
I was always curious how people went to Uman during the time of Soviet Union, when the borders (for the most part) were closed?

Motek

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 3:41 pm
They didn't.

Quote:
During the Soviet regime the pilgrimage was forbidden by the authorities, but was resumed in 1989 before the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

e1234

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 11:59 pm
there's a book called against all odds with the story of the first person that got in... very daring but after that it became more open to everyone.

miriamnechama

Post Wed, Sep 12 2007, 1:27 am
actuallu motef my f. father went in communist times and know others who did it, with mesiras nefesha nd if you were caugh... he didn't go rh, but others did and also during the year. if you were caught with out a visa for there there was trouble.

actually I heard some group had terrible trouble getting into ukraine this week.... they were stuck by the border for 24 hours.

Motek

Post Wed, Sep 12 2007, 10:30 am
I'm sure yechidim snuck in but since it was forbidden, by and large, people did not go.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur