Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to Los Angeles

torontomommy

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 8:43 am
Hi all
DH got a job offer located in Woodland Hills, next to Calabassas (exact address 21800 Oxnard Street). We are looking into relocating, and want a community that's within a 45 minute drive to his office. We have 4 kids KAH. We are not modern, not yeshivish, just happy being somewhere in the middle. We'd prefer a place that has reasonable real estate prices (I'd assume not Beverly Hills) and a community with young, balebatish families, kids playing etc. ... Thanks Ladies!!!

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 9:19 am
LA is a beautiful place but it’s quite expensive to live there. Run your numbers and make sure it works. From housing to cars to groceries and gas.... There are many areas in LA. There’s the city, Pico, the valley, etc and all are really nice communities

torontomommy

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 9:22 am
somebody actually mentioned the valley ... can't find much online? Do you know the zip code, or the name of some shuls there that I can look up? Is that the same as Valley Village?

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 10:00 am
AFAIK “The Valley” includes Valley Village and North Hollywood, though I think they’re far enough apart to have different shuls and kehillahs. But it’s LA, you gotta drive everywhere anyway....

There is an elementary (Emek) and high school (Valley Torah) in the Valley but many of the more yeshivish families send their kids to “the city” (ie La Brea area) for school at Toras Emes (elementary) or Bais Yaakov (high school). There were kids from Encino and Agoura Hills, too, but I think those are even farther away and smaller in frum infrastructure.

There is a boys dorm yeshiva in Calabasas, the Mesivta of Greater Los Angeles.

As others have said, the LA area is very very expensive to live in. I grew up there (Pico, wooo) but there’s no way I could afford to live there ☹️

Hatzlacha!!

Last edited by bigsis144 on Thu, May 24 2018, 10:06 am; edited 2 times in total

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 10:04 am
torontomommy wrote:
somebody actually mentioned the valley ... can't find much online? Do you know the zip code, or the name of some shuls there that I can look up? Is that the same as Valley Village?

http://www.godaven.com/list.as.....LLAGE

anewlywed

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 10:34 am
There's a more yeshivish elementary school that opened in the valley a few years ago - yeshiva ketana

tichellady

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 1:02 pm
You would probably be happy in north Hollywood/ valley village community. I’m not sure there’s anywhere that’s a closer commute that would be a good fit for you. Look at 91607 zip code

simba

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 2:36 pm
If yòu want to speak to a realtor out there that knows the frum neighborhoods I can get you some names.
La Brea area is the most convenient in terms of Jewish life but the housing there is quite expensive. That's the main difference between there and the valley.
I don't know much about the new yeshivish elementary in the valley but in my days the "frummer" kids from the valley commut d to school in the city. So you will have to choose between your kids commuting or your dh husband commuting.
If the Valley schools work for your family there is no reason to live in the city.

rikkabella

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 3:10 pm
I just moved to NY from LA. Have an aunt who is a rebbetzin in the Valley Village area as well. Feel free to PM for details and any specific questions. Best of luck!

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 3:16 pm
Disclaimer: I've been married and out of LA (besides Pesach) almost a decade.
Calabasas has Yeshiva and a Shul, but very small, if any, community.
Calabasas is in "the valley"- at the end of it. There are other areas other than Valley Village that are building up.
Not sure the names.
VV is main frum area in "the valley".
Valley has a more "chilled" name than La Brea/Hancock Park area.
Yeshiva Ketana is new elementary in valley- more yeshivish than Emek. Hanhallah is Chofetz Chaim graduates.
I'd recommend you call ppl in valley and find out about the communities and neighborhoods.
I'm not familiar with them at all.
Valley is cheaper than"city", but as someone mentioned, still expensive.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 9:31 pm
I grew up in the La Brea area. It is FAR from Woodland Hills! Woodland Hills is in the West Valley. If you want an established community, Valley Village/North Hollywood is your best bet. Expensive, but cheaper than the city and closer to Woodland Hills. Even if you decide you want to send your kids to school in the city, VV is in between, so your husband will travel in one direction, the kids will travel in the other direction, but no one is going out too far. If you are OK with smaller communities, look into Northridge, Encino, Agoura, Calabasas. I heard they are growing but don’t know exactly what they are like now. I think there might be a small community in Woodland Hills, too.

SRB

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 10:08 pm
Hi. I live in LA - in the La Brea/Hancock Park area which others here call "The City". However, if you look at a map it's called North Miracle Mile. Confusing I'm sure. We are about a 40 min commute to Woodland Hills. LA traffic is painful. Valley Village is a bit closer - it's in "the valley". In general the communities are different. Valley Village is more "relaxed". The schools are more community/kiruv type with a mix of people. I have heard good things. Yes a new school opened recently for the younger years. Some ppl commute their kids to my neighborhood because the schools are different. I send to Yavneh (elementary) which is more modern (right of center). Many ppl send to Torahs Emes which is the most Harredi elementary. There is Ohr Eliyahu which is in between - many bal tshuva parents. Then there are many highschool... Ok I have to stop typing but feel free to pm me - happy to guide you. Btw - another big difference btwn valley and city is cost of housing. All of LA is expensive but Hancock Park is very expensive like $3M, La Brea & Pico are like $1.5-2M (you can find something for less but not nice). The Valley is a bit less expensive. Do you plan to rent or buy?

torontomommy

Post Fri, May 25 2018, 11:44 am
I think we would rent for a year to make sure we are comfortable with the area and then look into buying ... definately can't afford Hancock Park which is one of the other attractions of VV

Amarante

Post Fri, May 25 2018, 11:56 am
Is it Woodland Hills or Calabasas because Calabasas is further west than Woodland Hills.

In any event, living somewhere in the Valley (I.e. technically the San Fernando Valley) makes the most sense. Valley Village/Encino are midway between the La Brea/Pico Jewish areas and where your husband seems to be working.

You do NOT want to make your husband commute from La Brea area to Calabasas. I had a contract position in Calabasas for several months and it would sometimes be two hours getting back to La Brea. Going out isn't so bad in the morning but the afternoon - I.e. any time after 3 P.M. is just a crawl into the "City".

Los Angeles is an auto community - even in the most densely populated areas like La Brea or Pico you need a car - probably two to survive so as long as you are within walking distance of a shul, it's not that imperative that you are walking distance to stores or whatever because you would be driving there. Generally parking in the Valley is free and relatively easy wherever you go. Parking in the La Brea/Pico area - especially around the shopping areas is much more like an urban area and difficult.

The Valley is much more like the suburbs - In many ways La Brea/Pico reminds me very much of Flatbush/Midwood or Queens in terms of density of housing. Pico can be like Avenue J LOL.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating