Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Grill Pan Question

Woman of Valor

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 6:29 pm
I made chicken strips in a grill pan in the oven today -- with simple seasoning. I sprayed the pan with cooking spray first then put spices, then chicken, then topped with more spice. The chicken came out delicious but not grilled taste or look - what did I do wrong? Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Woman of Valor on Wed, Jul 18 2018, 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 8:01 pm
I never put a grill pan in the oven. It's supposed to go on the stove top with high heat.
It will come out as if grilled on a gas grill without a smokey flavor but will get the dark lines. Personally I like to use Montreal Chicken Seasoning to grill chicken.

Woman of Valor

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 8:34 pm
Haha that is exactly the seasoning I used Smile
The package said oven-safe so I assume it is meant to be used either way. I chose oven because I love the even cooking, as opposed to burnt outside and raw inside I got when I tried the stovetop. I have a glasstop if that makes a difference. I just feel silly that I have a grill pan and don't even have chicken with the black lines!!

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 10:09 pm
WindowMagic wrote:
Haha that is exactly the seasoning I used Smile
The package said oven-safe so I assume it is meant to be used either way. I chose oven because I love the even cooking, as opposed to burnt outside and raw inside I got when I tried the stovetop. I have a glasstop if that makes a difference. I just feel silly that I have a grill pan and don't even have chicken with the black lines!!

In order to get the grill marks, the pan has to be very hot before you start.
If you're going to use the oven, preheat the grill pan in the oven first, so that when you lay the chicken down on it, it sizzles before you put it all back into the oven.

Woman of Valor

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 12:56 am
Thanks ra- mom

Last edited by Woman of Valor on Wed, Jul 18 2018, 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 2:17 am
WindowMagic wrote:
I used cooking spray, ra_mom, and the pan was sizzling hot when I put it into the oven with the chicken. Still no grill lines! What could I be doing wrong?! Obviously it's not just the lines I want, it's that nice grilled taste...

The grill pan is really meant to be used with direct heat below it on the stove so that's how you'll get nice grill lines.
But really, a grill pan does not give a smoky flavor any more than a standard nonstick frying pan does. Only a charcoal outdoor grill will do that.
You can play around with smoked garlic and smoked paprika which will give you delicious flavors.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey