Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
12 year old very often period

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 10:04 pm
Should I be concerned if my 12 year old has a period every 2-3 weeks. She bleeds for 6-7 days.
She got her first period around 6 months ago

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 10:09 pm
I would discuss with an ob and see what he says.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 11:02 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I would discuss with an ob and see what he says.

I agree, but please OP if you can take your daughter to a female obgyn. My mother took me to a male doctor when I was very young for a concern about my cycle and it was so traumatic for me. He didn't do anything wrong, just was looking where he needed to look and touching where he needed to touch, and my mom was there the whole time, but it was so not ok for me.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 11:17 pm
amother wrote:
I agree, but please OP if you can take your daughter to a female obgyn. My mother took me to a male doctor when I was very young for a concern about my cycle and it was so traumatic for me. He didn't do anything wrong, just was looking where he needed to look and touching where he needed to touch, and my mom was there the whole time, but it was so not ok for me.

I took my DD at age 12 to the ER where we met my male OBGYN. She wasnt traumatized. The dr and I explained everything to her.

As a teen I once went to a specialized OBGYN's office. I felt very uncomfortable in the waiting room. When you make the appointment ask them to arrange no wait time.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 11:49 pm
How much does she bleed? My daughter's first three periods (she had recently turned 13) were UNBELIEVABLY heavy. And they lasted over a week. After that the intervals between periods increased some and she only occasionally has a super heavy flow. So if the flow isn't heavy, I wouldn't be concerned. The first two years of having a period are often unusual (long or short intervals, heavy or light, etc..)

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 12:02 am
try a nutritionist with a master's degree.

Like rabbi friedman of maxi health. I think this is a hormonal problem of 2018.

Can be easily fixed with some vitamins.

Just ask for the minimal required vitamins to fix the problem.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 12:04 am
My pediatrician told me as a teen that it's very normal to have short or irregular cycles in the first year.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 7:57 am
amother wrote:
My pediatrician told me as a teen that it's very normal to have short or irregular cycles in the first year.

This. It's extremely normal to be irregular the first 6 months to a year. I wouldn't be concerned unless the flow was so heavy that she starts looking pale and tired, and then go and have her checked for anemia.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 8:16 am
Thanks for all the reassurance
I don't think she bleeds very heavy after the first day or two
I think I will monitor it for now and wait another 6 months before I consider taking her to ob

amother
Coral

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 9:13 am
This happened to me when I was 12. The pediatrician and my mom's OB (telephone consult) said it's normal, and as long as it's not too heavy, not to worry. It can take 6 months to a year and sometimes longer for periods to regulate. It might be an idea to reach out to the pediatrician. Unless there's a significant problem, and unless it persists, it might not be necessary to take such a young child to a gyno.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children