Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for my dd graduating high school

amother
Puce

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 8:03 am
Any ideas of what I can give her that she'd enjoy? Thanx.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 8:10 am
If you, her very own mother, don’t have a clue, why do you think we would? It might help if you shared some info about her, don’t you think? Like what are her hobbies, what does she do for fun, what are her interests. I might say an “important” piece of jewelry like a gold bangle but that wouldn’t be helpful if she doesnt go for jewelry. Also you might want to divulge how much you’re willing to spend. That might (just maybe) make a difference. Some kids get a new car. Some get a used car. Some get a bicycle.

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 11:11 am
At that age, you might want to ask your DD if there's something she might like. That's what we did.

Some ideas might be a piece of jewelry, a nice perfume, nice luggage (especially helpful if seminary/college is in the picture), etc...

amother
Puce

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 1:30 pm
How much is reasonable to spend? Thanx.

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 1:37 pm
It depends on what the item is and your budget. Like if you were getting jewelry, the reasonable amount to spend would be more than if it were some other item.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 2:44 pm
amother wrote:

In how many years will she be getting married?

amother
Peach

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 2:52 pm
amother wrote:
In how many years will she be getting married?

How in the world would she know??
I think graduating is a big event, I would take her out to a nice restaurant with my spouse and give her a gift like a nice watch, or a ring.

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 3:21 pm
Most give jewelry

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 3:29 pm
amother wrote:
How in the world would she know??
I think graduating is a big event, I would take her out to a nice restaurant with my spouse and give her a gift like a nice watch, or a ring.

In some communities there is an 75% chance a girl will be married by 20. (Made up stat... but if it’s a given that shidduchim start immediately post sem, and most girls are successful within a year of dating....)

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 3:39 pm
amother wrote:
In some communities there is an 75% chance a girl will be married by 20. (Made up stat... but if it’s a given that shidduchim start immediately post sem, and most girls are successful within a year of dating....)

And what does that have to do with what makes an appropriate gift for HS graduation? She should get a less nice gift because she’s expecting lots of kallah gifts? Or a nicer gift because she’ll soon be a kollel wife on welfare? Don’t ever let what you THINK may happen in the future influence a gift you give today.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 4:39 pm
amother wrote:

That depends on your personal financial situation and preference.

In our case, we took a brief mother-daughter trip to an event of great interest to my daughter. I don't recall if my parents gave me anything. Some people give jewelry or go out to dinner or host a party. I don't think there's a standard. So really, do what fits your budget and suits your daughter's and family's preferences.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 4:49 pm
The day I graduated highschool felt amazing and it was a huge milestone. I got jewelry from my mother and multiple others. Nothing fancy. She got me a 14k gold chain with my initial on it.
Someone else got me a pearl choker. I got earrings, a set of perfume from Estée Lauder etc.
My grandmother took my entire family out to eat that night at an elegant restaurant. It was a beautiful moment

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 5:32 pm
amother wrote:
And what does that have to do with what makes an appropriate gift for HS graduation? She should get a less nice gift because she’s expecting lots of kallah gifts? Or a nicer gift because she’ll soon be a kollel wife on welfare? Don’t ever let what you THINK may happen in the future influence a gift you give today.

Because if the family is asking about reasonable budget, it may be worthwhile to either (1) save up for all of the costs of preparing to date, and purchase something smaller (2) purchase something that may be useful for that, like nice jewelry that will have some utility in the near future.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics