Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Please tell me what the Rebbe says:

Tefila

Post Wed, May 25 2005, 6:07 pm
Can anyone out there tell us about some of the issues that the Lubavitcher Rebbe brought to our attention,?

e.g. Family, kashrus, children , women and men. (Sources and no fighting please) Wink

amother

Post Wed, May 25 2005, 6:28 pm
a person once came to to the Rebbe and asked "Rebbe, for how long will I be considered a King".. The Rebbe answered " For as long as you treat your wife as a Queen. Music to my ears.

I take from those words that a marriage is beautiful and a man and woman must treat eachother like a king and queen.. goes both ways!

Tefila

Post Wed, May 25 2005, 6:30 pm
Beautiful you made me cry even though I heard that b/4. Crying Girls, ladies keep them coming Wink

Rivkie81

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 10:47 am
I don't know a source off hand, but I know there are many...The Rebbe had a very strong opinion about married women wearing full shaitels, because they are less likely to fall off or to be taken off. There is a new book out called, "The Shaitel Advantage" which gives the Rebbes view on this. I haven't read it yet. The Rebbe says you get many brachos for wearing a full shaitel, one that I know off hand is children who are yarei shomayim.

Pearl

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 11:00 am
Quote:
[quote="amother"]a person once came to to the Rebbe and asked "Rebbe, for how long will I be considered a King".. The Rebbe answered " For as long as you treat your wife as a Queen. Music to my ears.quote]

first time I hear this, and it's beautiful! thank you, amother (didn't have to be anonymous though, right?!)

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 11:10 am
rivkeid, I just went to a talk on this and she said that the brochas for wearing a full sheitel whenever you are outside of your home and covering your hair fully at home is that your children will become kohanim gedolim.

but what about those people who are leviem or yisraelim? their children will have all the qualities that a kohain gadol needs to have in order to get his job etc..including yirei shamoyim, good looking, no physical imperfections and more..( I don't remember them all )

gryp

Post Sat, May 28 2005, 11:10 pm
The Rebbe taught us that "No Jew will be left behind" (Lo Nidach Mimenu Nidach)- when it is time to go out of galus when Moshiach comes. no matter what level a Jew is at in his Yiddishkeit, all Jews will go out of galus, even if he denies the existence of G-d.
(I think this is important to emphasize because some people say that only the righteous will go out of galus.)

The Rebbe taught us that "Shlucho shel adam k'moso" "The messenger of a person is just like himself (the sender)" The people that the Rebbe sends out on Shlichus are representatives of the Rebbe to the degree that in every single thing they do, even when it has nothing to do with the actual shlichus, they are still representing the Rebbe. All of their kochos to be successful, and all of their success, is attributed only to the Rebbe. How lucky one is to be a shliach of the Rebbe!

amother

Post Sat, May 28 2005, 11:18 pm
Very Happy

1stimer

Post Sun, May 29 2005, 9:46 am
Quote:
The Rebbe taught us that "No Jew will be left behind" (Lo Nidach Mimenu Nidach)- when it is time to go out of galus when Moshiach comes. no matter what level a Jew is at in his Yiddishkeit, all Jews will go out of galus, even if he denies the existence of G-d.
(I think this is important to emphasize because some people say that only the righteous will go out of galus.)

so acc. to the lub. rebbe this will be different than yetzias mitzrayim when the unworthy jews were left behind?

gryp

Post Sun, May 29 2005, 10:15 am
In Yetzias Mitzrayim, 1/5 of the Jewish nation died in the plague of Choshech- darkness.
but since this is the final galus and the upcoming geulah will be the complete geulah- therefore "Lo Nidach Mimenu Nidach"- no Jew will be left behind no matter on what level they are on.

gryp

Post Mon, May 30 2005, 12:33 pm
the Rebbe taught us that inside each Jew there is a "pintele Yid"- "a strong spark of his Neshama" waiting to be ignited.

heres a beautiful story from chabad.org:
http://www.chabad.org/magazine.....79835
Yisroel

It was five-thirty on a Monday afternoon, and my classroom was still at last, a deserted battlefield. The radiators and window were still covered with odd socks and mittens -- it had been a snowy winter. The room was littered with worksheets, economically converted into paper airplanes. The children made no pretense of taking their test papers home. Their parents couldn't read them, they told me candidly, and didn't care much about Hebrew School anyway. And that's what it was, I reflected wearily, a battle for two hours a day, between myself--"The Rabbi"--and fifteen restless twelve-year-olds who could see no purpose in what I was trying to teach them.

They were not bad children, for the most part. Only a few were insolent or rebellious. But they were all... indifferent. They came straggling in reluctantly every day, chattering about expensive presents they had received for Chanukah or were planning to get for their birthdays, about skiing trips and vacations in Florida. They sat before me and spoke, in their innocence, their ignorance, of lobster and Chinese food, of basketball on Shabbat morning (in the Jewish Center of course) and movies on Shabbat afternoon. And when I finally silenced them to begin Modeh Ani, I wondered if too much had already happened to these children since they had opened their eyes on G-d's world, if it was too late in the day to acknowledge the living and eternal King.

I spoke of my frustrations, as teachers do, to Mr. Gruber, veteran of fifteen years at the school. "Let me give you some advice," he told me. "Don't beat your head against a stone wall. This is not New York, remember, it's Lowell--Lo Kel, the place without a G-d. It's no use. Believe me, I tried, for years. Give them a good show for the Bar Mitzvah. It's all they care about."

When I repeated this conversation to Miriam--in the two years we had lived out-of-town she had become my friend as well as my wife--she was angry. Mr. Gruber might be bitter and discouraged, but that was no excuse for us. We, who had grown up in 770, near the Rebbe, in the strong bright light of his love for every Jew, how could we give up on any Jew, especially a Jewish child? She was right, I knew. The spark was there, waiting. If only I knew how to ignite it, how to open their minds, their hearts. I didn't expect great things, not any more. "Open for me the eye of a needle..."

At that moment, as if on cue, the door opened. Yisroel Levine stood in the doorway, cheeks and nose bright red from the cold, snow crusting his thick brown bangs. "My mother is still not here, and I'm frozen. Can I wait inside?"

"Sure. Come on in and thaw out."

I liked Yisroel, a slight, agile boy, with lively grey eyes and a quick smile. His father came to shul once in a while for a yahrzeit, and we had become acquainted. A graying doctor with a bad heart, he spoke sardonically of his strictly orthodox childhood, but admitted he wanted Yisroel to know more than his older brothers, who were growing up to be ""gantze non jews," as he put it. When it was his turn to pick up Yisroel, he usually stopped for a chat. Perhaps because of the small bond this established between us, Yisroel gave me little trouble, and even took my part sometimes with a "Shut - up - you - guys - the - Rabbi -is - waiting."

Now he looked around the room and said sympathetically, "Wow, this place is a mess." He tossed his ski jacket in a corner. "Want me to help clean up?"

"Sure, Yisroel," I teased. "You can begin by picking up that jacket. And check the radiator. I think half the mittens are yours."

"Rabbi, may I speak to you alone for a moment?" Marsha, the school secretary spoke quietly, but something in her voice caused me to stride down the hail to her office, my heart racing with fear. Miriam? I wondered. The baby? He had been feverish all night. There had indeed been a tragedy, I discovered, but found, with guilty relief, that it was not my own. Yisroel's mother would not be here to pick him up. Her car had skidded in the snow and hit a tree. She had died before the ambulance arrived. I was to take Yisroel home, saying only that his mother had been delayed. His father would break the news to the children when he returned from the hospital.

All the way home, riding through the lovely snow-covered New England streets, Yisroel chattered on. He said that recesses should be longer, and davening shorter, and that once a week was more than enough of Hebrew School. He must have thought I agreed with everything, because I could only nod silently, struck dumb by what I knew awaited the child when he arrived home.

At last we stopped by the neat white frame house with its green shutters. Yisroel, thoughtless, oblivious, jumped out, called, "Thanks, Rabbi. See you on Wednesday, unless there is a snowstorm." He bent to scoop up a handful of snow, and tossed a snowball lightly at my rear window. That carefree gesture haunted me during the days that followed. It was the last time, I knew, that I would see Yisroel in his untouched childhood.

Two days later, I was walking up the well-shoveled steps to make my shivah call. I had been told that the house was crowded with people dropping in, besides the relatives from out-of-state. I was startled, nevertheless, to be greeted by the sound of music, raised voices, laughter, instead of the hushed sounds of a house of mourning. In the softly-carpeted living room, women were serving drinks, passing plates of refreshments, talking. Finally, I spied Yisroel's father, sitting on a low stool. Grey-faced and unshaven, he looked twenty years older than I remembered him. But he spoke to me cordially.

"Some shivah, Rabbi. More like a cocktail party. I keep telling them all to go home, but I guess they like my booze." He removed his glasses, rubbed his eyes slowly. "Listen, the kids are the rec room over there, watching TV. Yisroel will be glad to see you."

Yisroel was not glad to see me. He was flustered and embarrassed. "Hey, Rabbi, what are you doing here? I mean, aren't you supposed to be in school? Oh, it's not three o'clock yet." Nervously, he offered me a drink of soda. He scanned the table, crowded with refreshments. "I guess there's nothing you can eat here." His face brightened suddenly. "I know. We've got some kosher potato chips somewhere, the kind we used for the school party." He stepped over the incumbent form of his brother, and standing in the doorway of the crowded living room, called, "Hey Mom, have we got...."

There had been a lull in the conversation. Now there was a sudden frozen silence. The words hung in the air for a moment, then were mercifully covered by conversation. Yisroel's brother got up and left the room. I couldn't bring myself to look at Yisroel. To have lost your mother was bad enough. But to have been so dumb as to forget that she was dead, that she was not there, would never be there, to answer you when you called her... When I finally looked at him, he was slumped in his seat, staring blindly at the TV screen. The look of bewilderment in his gray eyes was more terrible than tears.

Little wonder that he was bewildered. I looked at the shelves of the rec room, crowded with every expensive gadget. Had Yisroel ever been refused or denied anything for long, in his young life? Had he ever been asked to renounce, to sacrifice, even a piece of gum because it wasn't kosher, or a ball game because it was Shabbat? How was he to understand, this child who had always had all that this rich land could offer, that he could not have the person he needed most in the world?

It was getting late. In fifteen minutes, I had to be in class. I rose, touched Yisroel's thin shoulders. "I've got to be going, Yisroel." He rose, politely, to walk me to the door. In the hallway, I murmured the traditional words, and translated, "May G-d comfort you, Yisroel." The boy looked at me with uncomprehending grey eyes, and I realized the words meant nothing to him. "G-d" was a word that belonged in Hebrew school. It had no reality in his life. As for turning to his Father in Heaven for comfort in his hour of great need, where would Yisroel have learned to do that? He had never seen his mother wipe away a tear as she lit the Shabbat candles. He had never seen his father crying quietly into his tallit on Yom Kippur. And I, his teacher, the only Rebbe that he had, who told him he must daven for fifteen minutes every day, had I done any better? No, I realized with sudden, bitter recognition. I prided myself on being a chassid, but I had taught with my head alone, had been afraid to open my heart to the children. Words that had not come from the heart, little wonder they did not enter the heart.

Yisroel stood patiently, waiting for me to go. Instead, I sat down on the built-in bench in the hallway. "Sit down for a minute, Yisroel."

The boy sat, warily, on the edge of his seat.

"Yisroel," I began, "are you saying Kaddish for your mother?"

He looked frightened. "Kaddish? Oh. They made us say something when we were standing by... when we were standing..."

"By the grave?" I prompted him gently.

The boy nodded, his eyes far away, seeing again what he had tried to forget.

"And now," I persisted. "In the mornings. Who says it when the men come here to daven?"

"I don't know," he said vaguely, dully. "My uncle, I guess. The one from Florida."

"Yisroel." I put my arm around him, and drew him close to me. His small body was stiff, clenched tight as a fist, but he did not pull away from me. "You should be saying Kaddish for your mother. You and your brothers."

"Why?"

I groped for words, trying to explain what Kaddish meant, to the child who said it, to the soul that had passed on to eternity, to the Jewish people. The boy's intent grey eyes were upon me. Suddenly, I had an idea.

"Yisroel, I'm going to tell you a story. It's about another boy, a Jewish boy whose name was also Yisroel."

I told him about the small boy, sleeping in a room with an earthen floor, in another time, another land. His mother, a poor widow, a maid in the houses of the rich, gently shakes him out of his sleep. Together they walk through the still-dark streets to the shul. The boy wears threadbare clothing, broken shoes; he has nothing. But he is rich in faith and courage. The memory of his father is always with him, and he knows that G-d, the Father of Orphans is watching over him. The boy begins to recite the Kaddish in his child's voice. His mother, broken by poverty and grief, cries happy tears in the balcony. And thousands of angels, his father's holy soul among them, descend to hear Yisroel say Kaddish.

Later, the same boy, orphaned of his mother as well, walks alone and unafraid in the forest, for he fears no one and nothing, only G-d alone. There, undisturbed, he pours out his holy soul before the King of the world.

"And the boy," I concluded, "grew up to be the great Baal Shem Tov, whose name you bear."

Yisroel had listened silently to my story, all the time crushing and straightening a paper cup in his hands. At last, still without looking at me and in a voice so low I had to bend close to hear, he asked, "If I say it, say Kaddish, can she hear me?"

Minutes later, we sat, Yisroel and I, bent over a Siddur we had found in the bookshelf, like two conspirators. Yisroel repeated the words, until he was satisfied he could read them without a mistake. We agreed that he would say it with his uncle for the rest of the week. After that, he would come to shul, every day.

"Remember, Yisroel, if there is no one to take you, give me a call. I'll pick you up." I left him, looking after me through the glass door. I was more than half an hour late for Hebrew school.

I did not see Yisroel for the rest of the shivah week. But his bereavement had made him a sort of class hero, and I was kept posted on his activities. They had seen him at basketball in the center, he had come to David's birthday party. His father had been in the hospital for two days but was home now. On Sunday he would go skiing. He would not be back in school until next Tuesday.

"What a vacation," sighed one boy enviously. "Well, you would also want a vacation if your mother died."

"G-d forbid," I interjected, with a sigh. It was clear that kind friends and relatives were keeping the boy as busy as possible, to take his mind off his troubles. Saying Kaddish at six-thirty in the morning did not seem to fit into this agenda. I had little hope of seeing him in the shabby downtown shul on the coming Tuesday.

But there, on that bleak and grey Tuesday morning, looking strangely out of place among the gnarled old men who made up the weekday minyan, stood Yisroel. Hands in his pocket, he was studying, with elaborate casualness, the brass name plaques on the wall.

His face lit up when he saw me. "Oh, there you are, Rabbi. I didn't think you were coming!"

"And I didn't think you were," I rejoined. We laughed.

"My father brought me. It was pitch black when we woke up. We didn't even have breakfast yet."

"It was crazy to wake him this early." Gently his father straightened Yisroel's kipah. "But what could I do. The kid wanted to come, not his brothers, just the little one."

Yisroei was beginning to squirm with embarrassment from all this attention, but at that moment the services began, he started to shake up and down like a cork, trying to keep up with the tempo of the grown-up davening. I also had trouble keeping up with the working-men's minyan, and didn't realize the time had come for Kaddish until I felt the boy's tight grip on my arm.

The lectern was too high, so Yisroel held the Siddur in his hands. A hush had fallen over the small group. Yisroel's high, clear voice trembled slightly, but he began bravely. Yisgadal v'yiska­dash shmei rabah. At the end, the words were muffled by his tears, but by then he was not the only one who was crying.

"Not bad for a kid of eleven." The doctor blew his nose loudly. "I don't know if I ever told you this, Rabbi, but his great-grandfather was a famous Rabbi in Russia. A scholar."

We walked out into the bright daylight. It was going to be a fine winter's day after all.

"Rabbi," Yisroel spoke to me. His small, smudged face looked pale and peaked in the brilliant sun. His bangs straggled unkempt into his eyes. But those grey eyes looked straight at me, no longer lost and bewildered. "I'll come every day. I'll come for the whole year."

Yisroel's father was not doing well. He was in and out of the hospital all that winter. "It's no good, Rabbi." He thumped his chest angrily. "It's no good in there. What's going to be with my little one, my Yisroel?"

So, in the end, it was I who drove past Yisroel's house in my rattling Chevy, and picked him up on my way to shul. Driving through the quiet grey streets, as the dawn slowly illuminated the world, we talked. At first, casually, about school, sports, cars, Bar Mitzvah. Then came the questions, at first shyly, hesitantly, then in a rush. "Could a boy light Shabbat candles? Could you make a brachah on lobster? Kiddush on bagels? If G-d loves the Jews, why did we suffer so much? Could you jog to shul on Shabbat if it was too far to walk? If you couldn't handle money on Shabbat, could you tell the storekeeper to take it out of your pockets? Could you say the Shema a second time, if you woke up with nightmare? What if there was a good person, a really good man, but he didn't believe in the Torah?"

Some of the questions broke my heart. Others were funny, but I couldn't laugh. How can you laugh at a Jew's first, faltering steps toward Yiddishkeit?

Of his mother, he spoke to me only once.

--"Is Moshiach really going to come?"

--"He really is, and very soon."

-- "Is it true what you said, that all the... dead people will come back to life?"

-- "Would I lie to you, Yisroel?"

-- "No, I don't think you lied to me. It's just that I miss her, I miss her so much."

Winter changed into delicate spring and a golden summer. People in Lowell found it hard to believe that Yisroel was still saying Kaddish.

The boys in school reminded each other, "Don't give Yisroel a Siddur. He davens with the men." "Still?" "Still."

"Plenty of people could learn from him," the minyan-men nodded at each other. They plied Yisroel with herring and crackers. It was with difficulty I restrained them from giving him a shot glass of shnaps.

"I don't understand it." His father shakes his head, puzzled. "He never kept up anything this long, not eyen Little League. And you know something," his lined, bitter face softened, as it always did when he spoke of his youngest son. "He lights the candles every Friday night. Then--he does this all by himself--he takes the small challahs you give him, he covers them, he makes Kiddush." He chuckled suddenly. "The other day the housekeeper is bringing him his supper, those little baby hams. He shakes his head, and says, 'I'm not eating this. It's not kosher.' So I say to him, 'Yisroel, it doesn't make sense. Everything in the house is traif, the sea food, the meat, our dishes.' And do you know what he said? He said, 'You've got to start somewhere!' A kid of eleven. 'You've got to start somewhere.'"

Mr. Gruber had begun to teach him his Bar Mitzvah lessons. "I've had his brothers for five years. Zero. Absolutely nothing. This kid wants to learn. I've finally got a student instead of a tape recorder. It's a miracle."

But I wasn't surprised. And I thought I knew when the miracle had happened. It was the day a frightened and grieving child listened to the story of the Baal Shem Toy, the tzaddik who knows how to reveal the spark that lies hidden deep in the soul of every Jew.

Originally published in Di Yiddishe Heim Journal

sarahd

Post Tue, May 31 2005, 5:02 am
RG wrote:
In Yetzias Mitzrayim, 1/5 of the Jewish nation died in the plague of Choshech- darkness.

It was actually sadly 4/5 of the Jews who died. The posuk says "vachamushim alu", which Chazal explain as "echad mechamesh alu miMitzrayim (or even echad michamishim!!!)"

Quote:
therefore "Lo Nidach Mimenu Nidach"

Isn't it "lo yidach mimenu nidach"?

Pearl

Post Tue, May 31 2005, 7:53 am
RG - thank you for posting that moving story!

sarahd

Post Tue, May 31 2005, 8:11 am
RG - I just read the story. You made me go all teary-eyed right at the office! embarrassed

amother

Post Tue, May 31 2005, 9:13 am
gosh I can't stop crying.

gryp

Post Tue, May 31 2005, 9:39 am
sarahd, I think youre right. it is Lo Yidach Mimenu Nidach, I was trying to figure out which one was not "Nidach" and I knew it sounded funny... embarrassed
thanx for figuring it out for me.

im glad you all liked the story. when I read it yesterday I knew I should post it.

proudmom

Post Thu, Jun 02 2005, 12:29 pm
Free Love
---------

There are people who believe they are doing good by swallowing other's egos alive. The egos of those they cannot help, and of those who cannot help them, are inedible to them --and therefore intolerable. They cannot work with others --because their egos leave no space for "others"--only for those extensions of their own inflated selves that show they need them, or for those whom they need.

You don't love your neighbor to glorify your own ego. When you come to your sister or brother's aid, leave your own self behind. Love with self-sacrifice.

A Daily Dose of Wisdom from the Rebbe
-words and condensation by Tzvi Freeman
Iyar 24, 5765 * June 2, 2005

Tefila

Post Thu, Jun 02 2005, 1:24 pm
Quote:
You don't love your neighbor to glorify your own ego. When you come to your sister or brother's aid, leave your own self behind. Love with self-sacrifice.

Thank-You proudmom 4 sharing Very Happy

gryp

Post Mon, Jun 20 2005, 10:00 am
the Rebbe taught us that we must always be striving and pushing forwards in our avodas Hashem. if we are at a point where we are status quo, then we are actually slipping backwards!

the Rebbe also taught us not to call Shlichus "kiruv," because any of Neshamas of the Jews you come into contact with may very well have come from a higher place (source) than yours!
and the focus of Shlichus is NOT to quickly change people into becoming frum, but to concentrate on them doing Mitzvos, and then "Mitzvah Goreres Mitzvah"- one Mitzvah will lead to the next. also, each time someone does a Mitzvah there is a certain Or (Light) from Hashem that is brought down here to this world. this is how we purify the world before the final Geulah.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics