Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Uber on shabbat

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 11:55 pm
I need to get to the hospital on Shabbos. How can I arrange for an uber to take me there (and back home afterwards)? Has anyone done this before?

ellacoe

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 11:58 pm
Are you in Manhattan? The Bikur Cholim has a special account for this, and you give them a donation after Shabat.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 12:11 am
No. Not in NY. Not in a major city. There's nothing set up like that where I am located. That is very nice though that they have that set up.

simba

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 12:29 am
If you have to go to the hospital for Shabbos to give birth or to check yourself in then I beleive it I still considered pikuach necessary and order the cab yourself on Shabbos. Please consult with your rav the best way to do it.
Uber does have a feature called "schedule a ride", you choose a time and they will have someone there, you would have to know what time you want to go.

wow

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 12:42 am
Why don't you ask your local rav? Depending on why you need to be at the hospital there are ways it can be done...

essie14

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 12:56 am
People did this before Uber existed.
Call a taxi company during the week and ask how much the fare is from your house to the hospital. Prepare more than that amount in an envelope before Shabbat.
If you’re in labor you’re alllowed to call a cab on Shabbat and take the envelope with the money with you.

ETA: just reread your OP and realized it’s probably not for a labor situation. Call your LOR and he will definitely have an answer for you.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 5:16 am
I asked a rav if its better to call a taxi company or use an app and he said using the app is better - you can call and pay for the taxi in one go, avoiding handling money, etc.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 6:30 am
Can you order the car in advance on uber?

Caveat if you're in labor do NOT rely on taxis. They can refuse you.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 7:15 am
I'm very OOT, and yet one of our local taxi companies accepts passengers on shabbos / YT without pay; the drivers are even trained to open and close the car door for you.
May you only know Refuah v'shalom.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions