Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Entertaining toddler over the summer

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 1:22 am
My 2 year old is going to stay home with me over the summer. I’m looking for fun ideas of how I could entertain him. Sort of make him a Mommy day camp 😃

BA

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 2:15 am
Me too. I stocked up on simple crafts. Stickers, colored pencils, glueing popsicle sticks, water color paint. Also planning to visit the library and park when weather is nicer

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 11:05 am
Thanks for the great ideas. I ordered some water paints, and the library sounds great! Anyone else can share some fun activities?

Stars

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 11:08 am
Stickers, play doh, bubbles and chalk for when it's not 100 degrees outside , a tiny wading pool with some cups if you have some outdoor space, ditto for a sprinkler. I raid my dollar store and always find some fun stuff to get.

lfab

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 11:15 am
Do you have space to set up a small pool? That can keep a kid that she busy for a while. Play dough, simple crafts, local playgrounds, baking, arrange playdates with others if you know any other moms staying home with kids this summer. ..

chocolatecake

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 11:18 am
I would also suggest buying some kid videos like Uncle Moishy for a rainy or lazy day.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 11:24 am
Let him bake with you, help with supper preps- they love that.
Does he nap? Go to the park before his nap so he is good and tired after
Ice cream store outings are fun- kiddie cones should cost under $2
Target has air condioning- great way to kill some time
The library has toddler hour twice a week in some libraries- look into it at your local
Library
Kiddie pool is also a good idea. Get some pool toys and viola

SuperWify

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 11:29 am
Following... seems like I’m going to do the same!

I’m so nervous!! He has tooonz of energy. Literally a little ball of energy (and a mess!). He’s not even two yet...

I’m going to take him on a walk every day, parks, library ect.

He still takes a nice nap so I can get my housework done then. Thens lunchtime after that we can go do errands (which he has no patience for...) and afternoon we will visit aunties or grandma.

One thing I know I will do- sign up for the gym babysitting during those two months so I can still continue to go in the morning.

rgr

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 11:38 am
Keep to a schedule as best as possible. Can be a relaxed schedule.

Wake-up
Breakfast
Straighten clean while he does free play
Outdoor activity
Lunch/ nap
Indoor activity

Etc

lfab

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 11:41 am
For rainy days you can also bring a kiddie pool inside and fill with balls to make a ball pit.

Woman of Valor

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 3:26 pm
My son is around the same age as SuperWify's it sounds like. He will be in childcare this summer but I will entertain him while I am not working. He loves his water table, our library has some free activities, go to the pet shop to see the animals, take him grocery shopping, take him on walks, in the swing at the park, take him to a toddler gym, a playground. Have a playdate with another kid his age in your house or yard. Let him play with pots while you cook. Or buy a sandbox! I also love the paint idea though not sure my nerves can handle that...maybe when he is 3 Smile

SuperWify

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 3:37 pm
WindowMagic wrote:
My son is around the same age as SuperWify's it sounds like. He will be in childcare this summer but I will entertain him while I am not working. He loves his water table, our library has some free activities, go to the pet shop to see the animals, take him grocery shopping, take him on walks, in the swing at the park, take him to a toddler gym, a playground. Have a playdate with another kid his age in your house or yard. Let him play with pots while you cook. Or buy a sandbox! I also love the paint idea though not sure my nerves can handle that...maybe when he is 3 Smile

Pet store! Great idea!!

cbg

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 3:52 pm
Maybe you can find other mommies in your area that are doing the same, so you both have some social interaction, maybe 1x a week.
Do your parents live close by. Kids like visit grandparents.

Library, kiddie pool, park can be everyday activities, especially if the library is walking distance. Leave the park and kiddie pool for hours that are not so hot. Some parks have sprinklers.

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 12:49 pm
I took a little train ride with mine to the town next door. We walked around town, went to the library to look at books and play with toys, and had ice cream. No charge for the little one on the train and it was something new.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 2:35 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
Thanks for the great ideas. I ordered some water paints, and the library sounds great! Anyone else can share some fun activities?

The library has mommy and me. My baby loves it. Brooklyn bridge park is amazing!! The splash pad at prospect park. Brooklyn children’s museum. Barnes and noble. Kids n action.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics