Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Social skills lkwd

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 3:12 pm
So it was recommended by the school that my first grade child see a social worker to gain proper social skills. I am at a loss of where to find a competent social worker in lkwd. The one I was recommended just got her license and I don’t want to use her. Are there social skills groups in lkwd or would it be better to find a good social worker? Tia!

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 3:37 pm
Mindy Rosenthal, M.S., BCBA
Behavior and Educational Consulting
Mindy Rosenthal, M.S., BCBA, is an adjunct professor at Daemon College and resource director at Ilan High School. Her private practice specializes in the remediation of social skill deficits in children, adolescents and adults with ASD and non-verbal learning disabilities. She serves as consultant to various New York and New Jersey schools, devising and implementing social skill and behavioral programs, as well as training parents and teachers.

I used her for my 7 year old daughter.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 3:55 pm
There are a lot of great videos on YouTube as well as apps to assist with social skills. You need to determine what social skills need to be addressed. There are many things you can do on your own (if your so inclined). Its a lot of common sense. When my DS was young I worked on social skills by inviting another child over, and doing fun activities (ie baking) that I could use to model appropriate behavior. The other child's mother said he got much more out of coming to my house, than an expensive social skills group run by a social worker which (I later found out) she was sending her child to. My only complaint re social skills groups, is that they typically have children with deficits in this area, and won't be learning appropriate skills from the other children. Best of luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children